Moving to Vietnam. Any kind of informations will be appreciated.

Hello, my name is Fabry, i'm from Italy.
Recently i decided that i want to move to Vietnam (HCMC), which is where my girlfriend is, and it will be next year probably.
I'm a 23 years old guy, which has a lot of experience in IT (both hardware and software) and IT programming (made a 2yr Java course, have all the IT programming basics etc.), have a decent english (not exceptional , but i'm working on it day by day), and have some Italian cuisine cooking experience.
The thing that i'm more worried about is mostly finding a job as a foreigner and i wanted to ask: are there any places to get informations and know foreigners?
Is getting a job (in whatever sector) possible without a proper certification (or a certification which is not valid outside Italy) or should i plan to stay there for way more time, saving more money before going there?
What are people looking for in foreigners?

Experience sharing from Europeans would be appreciated.

I hope everyone will have a great day!  :)

FabXP wrote:

The thing that i'm more worried about is mostly finding a job as a foreigner and i wanted to ask: are there any places to get informations and know foreigners?
Is getting a job (in whatever sector) possible without a proper certification (or a certification which is not valid outside Italy) or should i plan to stay there for way more time, saving more money before going there?
What are people looking for in foreigners?

Experience sharing from Europeans would be appreciated.

I hope everyone will have a great day!  :)

Hello Fabry,
Welcome on board :)

While waiting for others, especially those from EU countries, to give you some genuine leads, I'd like to point out that if a certification is valid in Italy (in any field of global relevance), it may well be valid in Vietnam too ...... provided, you get your certificate/s properly authenticated and/or notarized by competent authorities in Italy..
I assume, you are referring to a certificate either in IT training or in preparation of delicious Italian cuisine. Whatever it is, please don't leave it behind when you come over to Vietnam. You just never know. :)

As you are an IT enthusiast and prolly an expert as well, you may choose to work online (on your own) for offshore clients while searching for a full time local employment in Vietnam.
Many tech-savvy expats take that route to get their feet planted in Vietnam.

Good luck!

Job board in Vietnamese. Use chrome browser to translate. Sign up for mailing list.
Vietnamworks

While I have not lived in Vietnam as yet, I've spent a good deal of time there (5 trips there in the last 2 1/2 years) If you can get an online job with a company from another country you will be much better off because the pay will be way better! Vietnam's economy is on a totally different scale than most of the rest of the world...most everything is really cheap, but so is the pay. My wife was a nurse midwife in Vietnam and only made the equivalent of about $35 USD per day... Too bad you aren't a native English speaker, they, in comparison, get paid very very well... I'm considering getting a certification to do that very thing myself... I love it in Vietnam!

Thanks for all the posts and help,will take note. Looking forward for more!  :lol:

Congratulations on your decision to move to Saigon; it will change your life forever. Not a direct response, but if you want to find out about what to expect in Vietnam, my wife (Karin Esterhammer) wrote a very funny book, called "So Happiness to Meet You" that tells you the story of how we ended up there, lived there for 2+ years and finally made it back to the States. She is American, and I am from Germany, but we live in Los Angeles.
Check out the book, it's on Amazon and every bookstore in the country. And excuse the shameless plug.
Ciao, Robin Esterhammer