Is it possible to find an engineering job in Vietnam?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I really want to go to Vietnam. However, I would like to know if it's possible or not to work in Vietnam as a foreigner engineer. He's an electronic engineer and he has more than 10 years experience in our home country. I know this question might sound stupid, but still, I would really appreciate some experiences in this topic.

Figures for both would be higher now, but I was making 20 million VND a month as an ESL teacher while my neighbor, an electrical engineer working for a major development firm, was making 17 million and working 6 days a week.  What is you husband's native language and has his English level been subject to a verifiable test?

kisskitti9503 wrote:

Hi everyone!

My husband and I really want to go to Vietnam. However, I would like to know if it's possible or not to work in Vietnam as a foreigner engineer. He's an electronic engineer and he has more than 10 years experience in our home country. I know this question might sound stupid, but still, I would really appreciate some experiences in this topic.

In theory, anything is possible. Vietnam is a rapidly developing country that is becoming more industrialized. However, your husband should contact potential employers as jobseekers normally do:

Vietnam Works - electronics engineering   All locations:
https://www.vietnamworks.com/electronics-engineering-kw
30 jobs matched "electronics engineering"

Vietnam Works - electronics engineer   All locations:
https://www.vietnamworks.com/electronics-engineer-kw
47 jobs matched "electronics engineer"

Engineering is tough because they crank out engineers by the boatload.  I have a degreed civil engineer and a degreed mechanical engineer that work for me.  They are Vietnamese and are working for 10,000,000 and 12,000,000 respectively for a 48 hour 6 day week.  If he's willing to work for $600 a month for a six day week and can speak Vietnamese and English he can probably find a job.  Good luck!

SteinNebraska wrote:

Engineering is tough because they crank out engineers by the boatload.  I have a degreed civil engineer and a degreed mechanical engineer that work for me.  They are Vietnamese and are working for 10,000,000 and 12,000,000 respectively for a 48 hour 6 day week.  If he's willing to work for $600 a month for a six day week and can speak Vietnamese and English he can probably find a job.  Good luck!

kisskitti9503 wrote:

Hi everyone!

The OP's husband is a completely different field.

johnross23 wrote:

The OP's husband is a completely different field.

I do understand that but it gives a frame of reference of what salary ranges would be in Vietnam when competing for engineering jobs against locals using first hand knowledge.  They crank out all form of engineers in great numbers including electronics engineers.

With the Vietnamese stipulation that one can hire a foreigner only after exhausting all avenues using local talent I can't see a case where and employer could show that they can't find talent among the Vietnamese citizen base.