Has anyone taken the TESOL course at Australia-vietnam School of Engli

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I'm hoping someone could help me out.  I'm interested in teaching english in Vietnam and I was told I need a TESOL or some kind of certification.  I was contacted by someone at Australia-Vietnam school of English regarding ThE TESOL course that they offer. The course is $1599 and they guarantee a job afterwards. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this school or if they're credible?

Thanks,
Nikki

For nearly the same amount of money you can get a CELTA from ILA which would open a lot more doors for you.

Thanks for your response!

What is the difference between a CeLTA and TeSOL?
I'm also considering the TESOL course at COMPASS Education.

nikkkki wrote:

What is the difference between a CELTA and TESOL?

Here is your answer  :)
Agree with previous poster!
CELTA is better than TESOL ! (I have a TESOL from ATA, Brisbane)
That you can understand from the above link.
Otherwise you should join for a Trinity TESOL.

Hi Nikkki,

You pose some good questions, and ones, I think, most potential teachers in Vietnam wrestle with.
I have met, a couple of teachers, that completed the TESOL course with AVSE, and only had good things to say about them.
From my memory, they enjoyed the course, and were placed in a job within a few days of finishing.
Best of luck with you choice.

I  would say the following:

TESOL covers teaching for all student sets including children which I am lead to believe is about 80% of the market whereas CELTA by itself the "A" stands for Adults ... You can do an extension YL - Young Learners  that is another 2 weeks and no idea how much that costs or how often it runs.

The link provided in a post above showing how CELTA is for native speakers and upper quality or whatever rubbish they posted is just marketing - that school offers the CELTA so of course they want to tell you its soooo much better so you will spend the money ($3200) doing their course. Their assertion that TESOL is only for non-native speakers is just lies.

AVSE - in that $1599 give you 4 weeks accommodation near the school.

Are they credible ? well, the TESOL Certification (Certificate IV TESOL) is provided by their Australian partner which is recognised under the AQF (Australian Qualification Framework).

I have spoken to Peter from AVSE and emailed back and forth asking questions, as I am really pedantic on the VISA side of things as I am studying law at University and I do not wish to be deported from Vietnam and affect my chances of being admitted to the court once I graduate the JD.

I have found him to be insightful and very helpful.

In VN, if you haven't got a University Degree or minimum 5 yrs proven Teaching experience, how can these Providers " guarantee " ANYONE a Teaching position? ( unless it's with them? ). Or are they " guaranteeing ' you can get at least an illegal position? ( with risk of deportation ).

Hello Bluenz,

It;s true you require a University degree, and a TESOL certificate to get a work permit. I think you will find, however, that because of the demand for native English speaking teachers, that schools in the country areas, are happy to have a teacher with only a TESOL certificate.
The laws in Vietnam are constantly changing, but it used to be legal, to work on a tourist visa for up to three months. Not sure what it is now.

auzgold wrote:

Hello Bluenz,

It;s true you require a University degree, and a TESOL certificate to get a work permit. I think you will find, however, that because of the demand for native English speaking teachers, that schools in the country areas,
The laws in Vietnam are constantly changing, but it used to be legal, to work on a tourist visa for up to three months. Not sure what it is now.

" that schools in the country areas  are happy to have a teacher with only a TESOL certificate. ", that is changing very fast, I live in Central VN, and only very small schools are prepared to take that risk now, ( they are usually unregistered as well ), with English being made a compulsory subject in VN schools now, I can see in the very near future, the Govt start to clamp down on these shoddy " schools ", especially the ones with non Native Speakers, plus even these " schools " are not really interested in short term Native Speakers anymore, ( you can't call some one with a nice new shiny TEFL Cert a Teacher? ), it's not good for the students to have too many new faces in the classroom, and many young VN's form a strong bond with Foreigners for some reason????

Ok, you seem to know all about the school system in Vietnam, so it should be easy for you to decide on a TESOL course.
Best of luck.

bluenz wrote:

In VN, if you haven't got a University Degree or minimum 5 yrs proven Teaching experience, how can these Providers " guarantee " ANYONE a Teaching position? ( unless it's with them? ). Or are they " guaranteeing ' you can get at least an illegal position? ( with risk of deportation ).

Hello there,
I don't expect them to guarantee me a position but I do hope that they can at least refer me to different schools. And getting hired or not is obviously up to my qualifications and how I do at the interview. I have a Bachelor's Degree and will be getting a TESOL certificate once I arrive in VN.  I don't have much experience but I did teach English at a University in HCMC for a month as a volunteer 2 summers ago. I also have experience working with kids and teenagers from my volunteer work throughout the years.  Hopefully that will be enough to land me a good job. :)

Hello @ussieDave,

Thank you for your informative response.  I have been in contact with COMPASS Education and decided to go with them for a TESOL certificate.  I noticed that most teaching job postings require either a TESOL or CELTA (seems like either one is fine?) Anyway, Compass is having a $300 discount which makes the course $1149 I believe.

Hi Nikkki,

With those qualifications, I am certain that you will have no problem landing a great job in Vietnam. AVSE, has a large network of schools, that they contact on your behalf. So whether you want to work in HCMC, the Mekong, Hanoi, or in the country areas, they would be able to secure a position for you, after the TESOL course.
Hopefully, you contact all the TESOL providers in HCMC first, visit their facilities, and then make up your mind.

Best of luck.

nikkkki wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Hello there,
I don't expect them to guarantee me a position but I do hope that they can at least refer me to different schools. And getting hired or not is obviously up to my qualifications and how I do at the interview. I have a Bachelor's Degree and will be getting a TESOL certificate once I arrive in VN.  I don't have much experience but I did teach English at a University in HCMC for a month as a volunteer 2 summers ago. I also have experience working with kids and teenagers from my volunteer work throughout the years.  Hopefully that will be enough to land me a good job. :)

You will have no problem getting a job, but because of your pedigree, don't get your hopes up for a salary in line with a Caucasian, ( even though you would probably make a better Teacher than many here, ( definitely better looking ), but prejudice is rife in VN, even amongst their own kind ), but you may be lucky and land a job at the right school, ( don't take the first offer, and the interview means nothing, many will want you to " try " out with a few lessons in a classroom , ( for free ) my experience with 2 schools here, has me convinced the schools are really run by the students and their parents opinions.

auzgold wrote:

Ok, you seem to know all about the school system in Vietnam, so it should be easy for you to decide on a TESOL course.
Best of luck.

Yes, and it only cost me $A265, most schools are not interested in the content of the TEFL Cert, some only want to be able to display it in their offices, many schools here consider it  just another necessary piece of paper, in the endless paper chain of VN.

Hi Bluenz

I have read a few of the comments about Tefl/ Tesol etc. I was wondering  if you
could comment on whether or not I would find it difficult to find a job teaching English
in Vietnam?
I have a masters degree from Sydney Uni History , no Tesol cert. but thought I might try and get
one in HCMC.
To be hones very little teaching experience. I am 66 years old and this is my main concern.
I am a native English speaker.
really appreciate your comments if you have any.

Cheers Phil

philcon wrote:

Hi Bluenz

I have read a few of the comments about Tefl/ Tesol etc. I was wondering  if you
could comment on whether or not I would find it difficult to find a job teaching English
in Vietnam?
I have a masters degree from Sydney Uni History , no Tesol cert. but thought I might try and get
one in HCMC.
To be hones very little teaching experience. I am 66 years old and this is my main concern.
I am a native English speaker.
really appreciate your comments if you have any.

Cheers Phil

I think there is an age limit, ( especially for VN teachers, most retire at 55, on a full pension, then keep teaching at home ), but if the school is happy with you, ( maybe because the teacher has been there many years, or it's too difficult to find a replacement? ), they do let Native English Teachers over 60+ Teach for longer, I'll see if I can find out more.

Mate
I  really appreciate this, i don't want to waste $1600.
I would not be seeking a full time position but part time, maybe to
fill in for some one on sick leave or eve, weekends etc
Thanks once again
Cheers Phil

philcon wrote:

Mate
I  really appreciate this, i don't want to waste $1600.
I would not be seeking a full time position but part time, maybe to
fill in for some one on sick leave or eve, weekends etc
Thanks once again
Cheers Phil

Many smaller schools that don't worry about Work Permits, are only too happy to have any Native English SPEAKER, ( and many not so Native ), most of the time it is only communicative English, usually on weekends, no TEFL cert required.

Thanks
I really appreciate your advice on this, i will think it over and decide if i go withTesol
with Aussie school Peter Grouch in HCMC
if i am ever up your way i will be happy to shout you a beer.
Cheers Phil

philcon wrote:

Thanks
I really appreciate your advice on this, i will think it over and decide if i go withTesol
with Aussie school Peter Grouch in HCMC
if i am ever up your way i will be happy to shout you a beer.
Cheers Phil

I only have a gruddy 120 hr online cert, cost $A265, it took me about 30 hrs to do. I had my Cert , ( from England within 2 weeks ), maybe if you have time to spare when you get here, ask around some schools first, ( Go in person ), see if they even require a TEFL? , ( or have an age limit ).You might be surprised. Hate to see money wasted.

Hi Nikkki,
'I have been in contact with COMPASS Education and decided to go with them for a TESOL certificate".
How do you like the course so far would you recommend it?

thanks Phil

Hi there,

I wish I could answer you but I won't be taking the course until January :/

Hi ok

i will be making a decision between COMPASS and AVSE

so i just thought i would ask

thanks Phil

philcon wrote:

Hi ok

i will be making a decision between COMPASS and AVSE

so i just thought i would ask

thanks Phil

I still think you might be wasting your money, FIND out if the school has an age restriction first, ( unless you are volunteering, then you won't need any qualifications, you don't even need to be  a Native speaker ).

Hi Phil,

It surprises me, (you being an Australian),  that you have decided to take a TESOL course with an American company, rather than an Australian one, that guarantees you a job. Did you have a Skype chat with both the companies ?

Garry

Hi Auzgold,
No I will be going with AVSE if I decide to to the course.
And I appreciate the fact that you have not mentioned my
Maturity. Bluenz thinks I might be wasting my money, he may be right.
Because I have no teaching experience I feel the kids would be getting
Better value from me if I at least learn how to teach from the course.
Once again the insight I get from this forum is great.
Ok cheers Phil

Hi everybody,

Please note that some off topic posts have been removed from this discussion.

Thanks

Priscilla

[Moderated: Off topic]

I would do a search online for reviews and complaints of the business and also the owner. It's amazing how much info can be found to help you make a decision.

Hi all, I did my TESOL with Compass - very happy with the course - but then again I have nothing to compare it with.  I would avoid doing an online cert (unless money is an issue) because you don't get the face to face time and teaching practice that you get with a real life course.  If you've never taught before (and particularly in a foreign country) I think that experience is worth the money.

I'm 55 and decided to get a job here about 2 months ago (I got the TESOL in May) - I don't have a degree - I applied for 3 jobs and got 3 job offers.  I interviewed on the Friday and started work on Saturday.  I had to do a demonstration lesson (unpaid) but started the next day.

The school I am with is really good - they actually care about the students getting a good education. 

I did some part time work with another school a while back - they were dodgy as - were more concerned with money than the education - they didn't care what you did in the classroom.

As far as I can see, there is no official age limit to teaching (an acquaintance of mine is in his late 60's / early 70s and he applied at the same school - he didn't get the job, but nothing to do with his age).

I have found in Vietnam that having some age on your bones can actually be a benefit.

ghengis212 wrote:

Hi all, I did my TESOL with Compass - very happy with the course - but then again I have nothing to compare it with.  I would avoid doing an online cert (unless money is an issue) because you don't get the face to face time and teaching practice that you get with a real life course.  If you've never taught before (and particularly in a foreign country) I think that experience is worth the money.

I'm 55 and decided to get a job here about 2 months ago (I got the TESOL in May) - I don't have a degree - I applied for 3 jobs and got 3 job offers.  I interviewed on the Friday and started work on Saturday.  I had to do a demonstration lesson (unpaid) but started the next day.

The school I am with is really good - they actually care about the students getting a good education. 

I did some part time work with another school a while back - they were dodgy as - were more concerned with money than the education - they didn't care what you did in the classroom.

As far as I can see, there is no official age limit to teaching (an acquaintance of mine is in his late 60's / early 70s and he applied at the same school - he didn't get the job, but nothing to do with his age).

I have found in Vietnam that having some age on your bones can actually be a benefit.

How do you know this, or was there another reason? VN's don't normally care abut anyone's feelings so they would have told him.

There is an official age, 60, for VN teachers, it's like everything else in VN, the rules can be bent, but not for VN teachers.

": The school I am with is really good - they actually care about the students getting a good education."

haha  But what does that tell you about these schools that employ teachers WITHOUT work permits, they like backpackers teachers, with little or no experience?, what does that say about their about student consideration? Did you sign a contract for more than 3 months?, therefore they don't care if you get deported when Immigration/Cong An walks into the school.

" some age on your bones can actually be a benefit.", yes , very occasionally you might get some respect from younger ones, but this is becoming a rarity , ( everywhere ).

Hi ghengis212

I really appreciate this message because it answers two of my questions right off the bat.

1. Age is no limit, 2. value in doing the course if you have no teaching experience.

One question, did compass assist you in finding a job or did you organize the search your self ?

One other question, is that a 70-200mm lens you are using?

Thanks Phil

philcon wrote:

Hi ghengis212

I really appreciate this message because it answers two of my questions right off the bat.

1. Age is no limit, 2. value in doing the course if you have no teaching experience.

One question, did compass assist you in finding a job or did you organize the search your self ?

One other question, is that a 70-200mm lens you are using?

Thanks Phil

I'm sorry to say, but I think you might be setting yourself up for a big fall, every school is different, NO ONE knows for sure about the age limit, did you read my last post?
As I said before, it would be better to come here first, but if you are so sure, then donate your money to these TEFL, etc, places, you won't be the first , or the last to waste your money on them.
If the school is that desperate , they won't even bother asking for TEFL Cert, as with my other school, ( 40 students, 3 classes, aged 4 --12 ), and my FRENCH associate is working at another school here, no Degree, no TEFL, and bad English .

Hi Phil,

I actually visited 3 or 4 schools myself and personally handed them my resume.  I did approach compass, but got job offers straight away from the other schools so I didn't pursue Compass.  But I know they assisted 3 of the other 4 students I did the course with - the 4th disappeared - I think it was all too much for him.

As someone else said, do a google search of the schools you are looking at.  Like anything in life, there are good and bad. 

Also, the rules and regulations in Vietnam change so much, it's hard to keep up with them - if you can even understand them.A friend of mine is in Medicine and there are 3 pieces of legislation covering his area and all three are contradictory.

Yes, that is a 70-200 f/2.8L.  My baby.

My other lens is a 17-40 f/4

Good luck

(Moderated: no defamatory posting here please)

(moderated: inappropriate)

Hi ghengis212

Thanks for the info i'm not all that worried about getting a job. I am retired now so really just something to fill in the time
most likely will do a bit of volunteer work.

Love the  70-200 f/2.8L  but too big for me and wow expensive in Sydney
I bought the  24-105 F4 a great lens
I have the 17-40 f/4 another beaut lens

I am looking to hire or buy a motor bike and tour with my camera.
so once again cheers for the info

philcon wrote:

Hi ghengis212

Thanks for the info i'm not all that worried about getting a job. I am retired now so really just something to fill in the time
most likely will do a bit of volunteer work.

Love the  70-200 f/2.8L  but too big for me and wow expensive in Sydney
I bought the  24-105 F4 a great lens
I have the 17-40 f/4 another beaut lens

I am looking to hire or buy a motor bike and tour with my camera.
so once again cheers for the info

i'm not all that worried about getting a job
Then don't waste your time and money on a TEFL, you don't need that to Volunteer.
Wait until you get here, have a look around first.

(Moderated: inappropriate comment)

Closed