Moving with an infant: Where to find a nanny, housekeeper and cook?

Hi there,

We (my husband, five month old and I) are moving to HCMC from Pune, India, in August. While I'm an old hand at moving countries (we have moved five times in just over twelve years), this move will be my first with a baby. I'm hoping to settle in really quickly this time round and would like to have everything planned prior to arrival (if that's possible!).

I wondered if someone could advise me about where to find a reliable nanny and other household staff (preferably full-time). The one thing I'd be particular about is references from former employers, so ideally, I would like them to have worked in expat homes. We did have Philippino household staff in Singapore, but I've no idea how it works in Saigon with regard to pay, work hours, off days, whether I'm supposed to provide meals, etc. Someone we know of pays USD 300 per month for a full-time housekeeper cum gardener. Is this a fair wage? Would a full-time nanny be paid the same as any other household staff? How many days a week and for how many hours a day can I expect a full-timer to work and is the pay different for a live-in? My husband will travel a lot, so I would probably need someone to stay overnight a few days a month (maybe a live-in would be better and more cost-effective?). Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sohini

Hello Sohini.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can consider posting an advert in the Personal and Household services (Housemaid classifieds) in the Jobs in Ho Chi Minh City section.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks, Aurelie, for drawing my attention to the Job board. I wanted to find out from other expats how things worked in terms of employing household staff before posting an advert myself.

[moderated: no free ad on the forum.]

Thanks so much, kimegitee. We will put up in a serviced apartment for a few weeks while our household goods are in transit. I will contact you once we move into our home.

Thanks, vinamove! Much appreciated. As above.

Sohini,

First, in terms of nanny, the price is dependent on quality of the nanny. You could get a full live in maid and acting as a nanny as well for 150 usd. She works full time, lives with you, helps you ( cooks, clean, babysit, do errands). A typical salary of white collars workers ranges between 150 usd to 300 usd. Salary are extremely low in Vietnam. Most waitresses at restaurants working 12-14 hours a week, earn less than 150 usd a month.

As for nanny, since the first 0-4 years are most crucial development, I do not recommend a local nanny, unless that nanny has at least BA in early childhood education. If you just need anyone to care for your infant, than, a full time lived in nanny cost 150 usd, includes all meals.

As for me, I would hired a qualified Philippine's  nanny. Very commands in Ho Chi Minh.

In terms of shopping. There are super markets you could buy all the stuff for your infants, superC.

Kristina

Hi Sohini,

Your salary is quite good for 9 hours/day and sunday off. You can contact me for a fulltime maid. i will help you to clean your house, cooking, ironing, laundry... and support you anything you want. I willing also stay in somedays in month. Please email me to [email protected] or call me 0977 055 131.

Best Regards !

Hi lingoking,

Please feel free to post an advert in the Babysitting in Ho Chi Minh City, this might be helpful.

Thank you,

David.

Many thanks, Kristina. That was a very useful post as it gives me a sense of the overall picture. A full time nanny at USD 150? Is that the rate for Vietnamese nannies who can speak English and who are educated up to the BA level? I'm getting quoted USD 400 for Philippino nannies and USD 300 for Vietnamese ones. The one thing I'm not very clear about is whether the payment is different for a full-timer (with no accommodation) and a live-in (who would do longer hours presumably?)
Thank you so much for your help!

hi miss sohini, im maria looking for a job,nanny helper cook,,i have ten years experince with english family,im in vietnam right now finishing my contract on end of this month,,im filipino 40 years old. email me [email protected]

Hello katevincentmitch -> Could you please post an advert in the Jobs in the Ho Chi Minh City section? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie