Blacklist

Hi everyone! Since I arrived in HCMC I've hard many stories about schools that don't pay the teachers or pay way less that they were supposed to. What about creating a blacklist of all those schools so it will not happen to other expats? Who is with me?

There used to be a site called Saigon and Hanoi ESL or something like that. They had a blacklist site, the problem being is that not everyone reads the same forums, so there are always going to be people who get caught.

Slippery slope, I have always been on some body's list....

I'll try to find out that website then! Thanks!

I think it closed down. The usual offenders were on there, Outerspace, EWEP anything owned by doctor Lee

Count me in !  APU International school sucks; twice they lied to me; first, by lowering my hourly rate the first day I began work, and secondly, paying me 1/4 of what I was do under the lower rate.  They have a huge turnover problem; four english teachers in the last eight months before I started. few teachers have been there for over a year.  Duane

I don't know anything about outerspace or EWEP. What's wrong with them? Lack of payment?

Thanks Duane! In my opinion APU is on top of the list!

Do a search online and see if you can find some info, they are basically just a sham.

There are loads of teachers websites that cover this topic already.

Can you name the ones that have the actual blacklist,  I know  a lot of them and havnt seen a blacklist except on that old website.

'Teacher' is a socially respected position all over the world. But why always they cheated? Think carefully before you leap to some 'big' schools. They are the biggest cheaters!

If anyone have an interest to a teacher forum for any discussion. You can check out *****

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Not suitable for the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Go to *** and post anything negative about: the schools that advertise on ****** site and he'll ban you.  He tracks IPs and has about 5 user names/alter egos that he moderates with.

The ***** ripped me off for $40 based solely on the fact that I resigned my position.  I was scheduled for a whopping 4 hours a week and had no choice but to take on another job.  They treated me like I had piloted the Enola Gay when I tendered my resignation and gloated over the fact that they were going to steal a paltry $40 from me.  Low class/no class from a society that's famous for it's poise and grace, especially when the times are tough.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Removal of name (to avoid any risk of defamation)

You signed an agreement/contract, surely? You gave your word by signing it. In their culture, you're a POS.

Now, get used to the fact that you're a long way from home.

I think Teacher Mark has learned the ways of Asia by now, judging by the crusty Enola Gay reference and 959 useful posts here.

BTW pay attention to the dates on discussions, you replied to an ancient one, many of the original participants will no longer be around expat.com.  ;)

The school wrote up the agreement/contract that they asked him to sign. The very same day the school broke the agreement/contract when they lowballed him on the salary they promised him.

Honestly, I am so tired of schools/language centers that draw up contracts expecting the teachers to follow them but acting as if the agreement/contract doesn't apply to them.

The agreements/contracts are supposed to apply to BOTH parties - not just the teachers!

I agree with you. We should create a website to blacklist all of the bad businesses/Schools ............

I am Vietnamese but I can't stand those @%#%%& cheater people. I have known quite a few in most of the cities in VN and those cheaters are mostly well to do (hotel and restaurant owner, taxi drivers .......) If I know how to create the blacklist website, I would do it to help and prevent those cheater to cheat new comers.

Again good idea and people let build it. Good lucks to all of us.

@dbrutter
  That is the way contracts are done here between just about everyone I have ever dealt with. Not really worth the paper they are written on. They see to like to make he promises and commitments, until the ink is dry. And then when you try to enforce the contract they sen 5 men to you house and beat the dog dodo out of you

LOL. You enforce the contract by walking away from it. Without a work permit the contract isn't enforceable. If you have a bachelor's degree then you can work anywhere in Asia. Post your resume on websites focussed on jobs for EFL teachers and keep yourself up to date on offers.

If you're illegal, well, that's what everyone is saying about working illegally. You're screwed if you haven't the means to get home.

Just to clarify, no one sends thugs to beat you up, just in case anyone actually believes that.

Register with your embassy when you arrive and always contact your embassy when you are the victim of a crime. Of course if you are working illegally this could be an issue too.