Unpaid Salary - Reg

Hi,

I am working in a company where only 8 people are there altogether, our company is not paying our salaries on time (partially once in 2 months or sometimes a piece of amount on demand) and each one has almost 4 months due. We are not in a position to raise our voice to the management, they not even bothered and not addressing the employees needs at least for the courtesy sake.  Our building owner also threatening that he will suite a legal action for nonpayment of our rentals.
Is there any option to complain the issue and our grievances to the manpower without notifying our names, we all are little scared on disclosing the details in the online compliant portal. Please provide me best solution to come over from the stress.

saravanan.kkl wrote:

Hi,

I am working in a company where only 8 people are there altogether, our company is not paying our salaries on time (partially once in 2 months or sometimes a piece of amount on demand) and each one has almost 4 months due. We are not in a position to raise our voice to the management, they not even bothered and not addressing the employees needs at least for the courtesy sake.  Our building owner also threatening that he will suite a legal action for nonpayment of our rentals.
Is there any option to complain the issue and our grievances to the manpower without notifying our names, we all are little scared on disclosing the details in the online compliant portal. Please provide me best solution to come over from the stress.

I am trying to understand what is that something which scares you.

1-  Is it losing your job ? A job that you are already engaged with and unpaid of ?
2-  Is it the employer ?   Is he acting a monstrous role and impacting your personal lives that he will be destructive for all of you ?
3-  Is it having a fear of exiting the country ?    Ask yourself what are you getting in there. If you are already in trouble and the place is giving a pain, why not decide to leave then.

The problem with many expat employees in Oman is that they consider themselves as a slave to their employers (Whether he's an expat or a local). You need to understand that you're working for money and not for being a slave.

Anyways, you need to concern with the ministry of manpower and your embassies wherever you belong to. A formal complain to be launched which will enable a legal action against your employer. You may also approach ROP (trust me, the ROP wont eat you and do not fear of them). Getting paid is your right and if someone disrespects that, he is to be equally ashamed and punished. That's what Oman labor law is about. There may be some harsh ground realities but you need to understand and raise this issue to the concerned authorities.

People should work for money, not loyalty. If someone needs loyalty, he can purchase a dog.

Please report to the ministry of manpower in person.  You will be surprised as to how well they treat exists.  Within 1 week they shall make your employer pay.  They will minute a meeting between you and the employer and hold him to it with a cheque.

Thanks for the information. Also I just want to know that whether an employee shall be provided an air ticket, insurance and gratuity by the employer, out of my five years of employment i have not been provided air ticket, medical and not even one rial salary hike. Though i have family status i have not provided air ticket and medical even for me.

Hi saravanan.kkl,

Obviously, you have been taken for a ride by your unscrupulous employer.

As per the ministry of Manpower law, every employee is eligible for annual airfare, medical insurance and gratuity. These are not options but are mandatory requirements of hiring an expatriate employee. The benefit levels may vary but must be provided by the employer as per the law of the land.

So if none of these has been given, then what else was mentioned in your offer letter and in your employment contract ?

The document is there only to make it unambiguous as to what your nature of your job is and what the defined deliverables are, against what your salary and other privileges and perks being given.

It is quite surprising that you have remained silent for all these for so long. How come ?
And, why ??

Hi Sumitran,

The given details are very useful and thank you so much for sharing the details.

Really the given information's make me to  take ride of my employer. I have not been given any contract since my joining and my offer letter is simply a single page and the contents were written within 2 paragraphs  indicating the salary. No benefits and perks were written on it.
I am drawing 1400 and no bank salary credit since last couple of years, simply they will transfer from online banking, sometimes full, sometimes partially or with multiple splits. and now it is 4 months due altogether. In my 5 years of employment I took only 30 - 40 days leave altogether. I Went to India one time and the air tickets are paid by myself for entire family and no salary has been paid for that leave too.
Now I decided to resign my job as I have to decide something on my career and life together. I don't know whether they will provide no objection letter. In such circumstances what would be best way to come out this.

Hi saravanan.kkl,

Since you have already lost almost everything, you stand to lose nothing much by reporting your current career mishap to the Ministry of Manpower and to the Indian Embassy.

If at all, you stand to gain something as compensation for your employer heartlessly shortchanging you all these years.

Such unscrupulous employers deserve to be thrown behind bars, as they are literally robbing hard working decent folks of their very livelihoods.

You have a strong case working in your favour, if you can explain your case to the authorities. If there are others as well from your organisation with similar complaints then the hopes of seeking some compensation would get even stronger for you all.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. Your information and energy rich advice have been extremely helpful and make me feel confident.

Revert as soon as my issues are solved.

Hi,

Is there any options in labour law policy for providing prorated gratuity, because in my offer letter they mentioned like (a) company will send one way ticket to you to travel to Muscat and you need to take care of ticket expenses for your other family members as we are paying ticket expenses in your salary.
(b). kindly note that we are giving package salary that includes medical, ticket, gratuity.

and in the salary break up they mentioned 6 parts, 1. salary, 2. HRS, 3. water & electricity (50rials) 4. medical & ticket (50 rials) 5. transportation  and 6. Prorated gratuity (50 rials).

The same 50 rials are existing till date since my joining(2013).

Please share your views on this.

Prorated gratuity (50 rials).

Your employer has done everything to rip off the employees. The above means that its a single time payment of OMR 50 upon your resignation / termination or lay off. The labor law of Oman is different than what they have stated. Your case seems to be critical and you certainly need to step up and take it over with the Manpower (Even with your embassy).

Based on the scenarios that you have defined, I doubt that your employer in anyway will provide you the NOC. Best o luck though.

Hi
I'm working in salalah contract based company now 8 months on going my employer said that he going to cancel my visa also he cut my salary when I left .but the problem is for future process I don't have original contract agreement with me I have only photo copy of the same  please suggest me how can I get my all salaries and NOC from the company.

I don't have original contract agreement with me I have only photo copy of the same

You should have had the original contract letter with you. But the contract letter has nothing to do with the NOC.

Secondly, we can not suggest on how you can get the salaries and NOC. This is something you need to decide yourself. Their are legal ways to pursue such cases, however NOC is something that is purely based on the employer consent.

Hi Sumitran,

I am reading your answers since the day I arrived here in Oman. I must say, you are helping and educating many people through your answers.

I am also looking for help or guidance from you.

I am working on Oman in a company at managerial level from last 6 months. I joined this company because my friend told me that you can join but we can start giving salary after 3 months because currently, we can not pay as company's position is not strong. I believed him and joined here..... But, the problems which am facing here are as follows :

1. No salary
2. No offer letter
3. No Insurance
4. No help in family joining visa for family

Every time they one problem (Money Problem).... I am not sure what can be done here as I also committed mistakes like not asking for offer letter before joining... I am not sure what can be done here....Although, I assumed it is my mistake but still guide me what can be done here?

Thanks
Bond....