Anyone Maintain An Austrian Bank Account Whilst Not Living There ?

Guys- I need your collective headsup on this one..ok im an American married to an Austrian girl. We lived in Vienna for 5 years, and obviously had a local bank account. She wanted to maintain the account in Vienna and so we never closed it when we left, and did not notify bank as such. Recently we've received letters saying we would be owing a hefty monthly fee if infact we are no longer in Austria. Obviously at some point they will ask for our meldezettel. What options are there ? Please don't ask us to talk to another Austrian bank suit over the phone, it is the most archaic thing you could possibly do, and most of you who've lived in Austria long enough will know this - they are not "telephone friendly" shall we say. Is there any way for an Austrian national to maintain a local bank account without a hefty fee (and YES we have a deposit over the above the minimum deposit requirement).
Many of the Austrian expat forums are useless because you will find hardly anyone responds or even reads any of those inquiry's. "Austria" is not the most internet friendly subject matter online when it comes to online forums. If you search for UK expat forums for comparison, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, have one 10 days to respond to the banks request to fill out forms asking about if we are still located in our old address and to update our "Viennese address". Is there anyone who maintains an Austrian account but not living in Austria ?

Brgds
Leroy

Hey Leroy

I am going to have to check, but I do know with Austrian bank accounts,  you have to pay a monthly fee so you have to have money going in on a regular basis. There are a couple online banks that don't charge, can you believe this some are actually charging for the use of ATM, But that's been challenged in the courts at the moment.

someone today suggested n26 online bank account - only real requirement is that we have to use an Austrian address in order to get the "welcome" package like debit cards etc. which shouldn't be a problem, so long as they don't ask for the freakin meldezettel. my wife feels like its a good idea to keep our bank accounts in Austria, should things not work out for us here in the U.S. but the bottom line is at what cost ?
I would appreciate it if you don't mind looking into it in any way, I know online bank accounts is one way but we would prefer a "brick and mortar" account if given a choice between the two types of banks..
Brgds
L.