Average monthly salary in Bangkok

Hi,

Good day all. I have an offer in hand with monthly salary of THB 100,000 or USD 3000. Is this sufficient to live a decent life in Bangkok?

Regards

In my point of view .. I'm Thai citizen... a salary of 3000$ is extremely in BKK.
Most of fulltime employees earn around 350$ / month

So your 3000$ is more than ok

But in a point of view from foreigners .. I'm not sure what will others think

for local 20k-40k (baht), for expat (depends on your job field) from 50k is ok. My friend's bf, He is English and a teacher in an academy, he earns 70k so your 100k is not bad, depends on your lifestyle but check about tax cos now my husband's (korean) monthly salary is 100k+ and he needs to pay 25% tax after deduct

Hi Kareemarif,

100k is consider middle management salary and I assume without perks such as housing, kids education, car, yearly trip back home for yourself and family, insurance, medical etc

Based on Thais standard, it's lots of money according to their lifestyle.

Expats that are hired from their home country gets much more especially perks and benefits. Their kids education in International school will cost more than 100K excluding transport, meals and school trips.

Air tickets home are for family at least once a year or twice a year. Some travel on business class too.

Whether 100K is enough or not depends on your lifestyle and spending.

If you live in a unfurnished studio apartment that cost 2,000 baht a month, eat 3 meals at the cost of 40 baht per meal, travel on buses then you have lots of money to save. Drink local cheap beer or eat 69 baht steak by the road.

Absolutely!
    That is about twice the going rate for Native English Speaker teachers in Bangkok. Apartments start at about 10,000 baht and very good standard apartments are available for about 20,000.
    Bangkok is always hot and busy, but is never boring. Have a great time there.

I would second what these others have said, all answers that are a lot more consistent than they might seem at first.

Initial lower end foreign English teacher salaries might start out around 30k per month, per what I've heard, with newer expats figuring out that's not much to live on soon after getting here.  Mind you that's hearsay; I've never actually taught anything here.  I think 50K would be a more standard range, and 70-80k might well represent the higher end for English teaching positions, although there might be ways to extend that.

I work in a Thai company so it's hard to communicate much beyond that without passing on more hearsay.  Not many Thais in my company earn around the 100k level; that would be a reasonably high management position.  The expression "middle management" in the one answer can mean different things, though, since in a small company there just isn't much middle management but in a local IBM branch there would be layer after layer of it.

Per my understanding for a foreigner working in a Thai company 100k per month is probably a pretty decent wage, depending on benefits.  Of course it does also relate to the type of work, on both the experience level side for that being fair to the employee and the market demand side for that being appropriate compensation for the work type.  It's my understanding that specialized foreign workers in foreign companies moved here to work do often earn considerably more than 100k, especially related to benefits, which can add up quite a bit.

International schools do cost between about 300k to 1 million baht per year, with fewer at the bottom of that range, and many in the 500-700 range instead.  If you have a child that doesn't speak Thai local schools just won't work, and spending half your salary on education isn't likely to go well either.

One thing that's going to make cost of living questions more difficult to sort out is people here living more or less like a local.  Housing options can start around 10k per month, but some expats I know here wouldn't consider small apartment options that end up costing less than 25k, related to demanding better locations and living environment.  Food works out the same, or lots of other concerns; the more you want to live like a Westerner the higher the costs would run, up until 100k might well run short, especially if travelling back regularly is more or less a set cost. 

It's not all about eating spaghetti at a nice Italian restaurant versus pad thai at a food court too; a lot of people I work with commute for an hour and a half one way, and that lower expense related to living out of the center of town costs them a part of their lives in commuting time.  Bangkok is funny though, it's not as if housing costs or options are consistent by area as they tend to be in other cities.

Yes.

Hi Kareemarif,

The salary offered is certainly very decent above average, but there a few factors to consider.

- is it much better off than your home country, if yes. this is positive.

- does your company assist you with accommodation or income tax. if yes, of course it is good. If not - these two items are likely to be your biggest expense in the Kingdom

- background. Are you single or do you have family. If you are single, great news. This will be a nice salary to have and you will have a decent lifestyle. IE - you won't be hungry and can afford the occasional entertainment such as cinemas, alcohol and some light shopping. If you have a spouse with no children, it will still be doable but little savings. If you have children and your company is not taking care of education, it could be an issue as international schools are quite expensive

In my assessment, i have assumed you are single

In summary, anything above THB50,000 a month is quite good. I wouldn't worry about anything. How much you can save depends on your lifestyle. For example, I have found certain imported items here to be more expensive than in Singapore, which is my native. If you go full "local", you can save a hefty bunch. If you rent an apartment near the office, you don't need to worry about transport, and so forth.

Good luck

Depends on your lifestyle but generally, you can live comfortably with that salary, with occasional luxuries.

More than decent and you'll save a lot on the side.

Unless you spend your money in 3-bed condo, go out every single night, buy luxurious clothing and imported groceries every week.

kareemarif wrote:

Hi,

Good day all. I have an offer in hand with monthly salary of THB 100,000 or USD 3000. Is this sufficient to live a decent life in Bangkok?

Regards

Yes! If you're single, then you can live quite well, in Bangkok, on 30-40K-baht/mo., and save the rest. Presumably, you'd find it very difficult to save 60-70% of your monthly income, in any other location, on this planet. :cool: Thus, be grateful for the opportunity, that life has given to you. And, pay particul attention to posts #2,3,4.5, 7, 8, 9 &10. Best regards, and welcome to Thailand :cheers:

Very low....but may be OK for some people, depends what you are earning now.

hey guys.. i got more or less same offer..
i am single..
i don't have such kind of need like super luxury apartment.. i would easily settle for a 1 (better is 2)  bedroom western standard flat.. but mored one.. not such old crap i experienced in Asia already..
But the food is crucial.. don't get me wrong, i like so much Thai food..
but i don't like to eat in restaurant every day.. i prefer healthy food i prepare by myself..
so, how much would i spend weekly for grocery, average?
I like vegetables and i think i can get easily local one.. i guess the highest price would be for cheese and salami, pasta and/or other western stuff, right?
I am not a party addicted and definitely i stay at debit distance from crowded (wallet squeezing) club..
is 100K good enough to save some money or should i ask for more?
Thanks

I used to earn double of that when I worked in Ayutthaya, several years ago, on secondment from abroad (which is always good, financially).
I spent only a small faction of it in Thailand: I shared a villa at Rangsit with two others, had an unexciting lifestyle (the only entertainment available in the area was good food and an occasional massage for THB150) and bought an old car for transport.
I probably spent more on the twice monthly home trips to Singapore, but still had plenty of savings.
To put it into perspective: At the time, I belonged to the 5% best earners in Thailand, according to a government statistics.

Evening all. I apologise but same question. I've asked the company to transfer me to Bangkok. I'm based in Singapore for the last 4 years as a regional Director of operations and Training ( hospitality). I can see mixed reviews about expats salary. Whilst I know majority of the companies stopped offering high salaries with some exception. Any idea on a website to check the rent of salary ranges?
It's a big move and wanted to be sure I do a proper search. Any tips would be highly appreciated

Can I ask what is your profession? why a thai company would wanna pay 100,000 to farang?

you live in SG and never been to Bangkok?

ezrider8 wrote:

Can I ask what is your profession? why a thai company would wanna pay 100,000 to farang?

Usually skills that are not available locally, or (mostly at Thai offices of foreign companies) political reasons.

like what? give me an example for my learning.

just like i thought.... there isn't any...

Like in any country in the world, there are many specialized skillsets that are rare or non-existent in Thailand.
In my case, it was project management for erection of complex high-tech industrial facilities, coupled with good English language skills (as the company was American). Of the few comparable Thai project managers I met, only one was good (and she was a lady, which is rare in the profession), all others hopelessly unprofessional.
Another aspect, that might have played a role, is that the Thai construction industry is extremely corrupt. I, as an outsider with high moral standards, did not participate in that, rejected all financial offers that were made to me in return for project favours, engaged solely those suppliers best suited for the job (not those paying most) and I also prevented others from taking personal gain (i.e. in effect stealing from the company) in several cases. That alone saved the company more than they paid me!