Which area is good to stay in Bangkok with standard salary

Hi all.. I am a Indo-Chinese, 25 years old.

I want to ask about living in Thai as Foreigner, even though I've read there're so many thread with same topic but I hope you can give any advise, critics or anything. I would be very thankful.

Now, I get a job in Bangkok by mid-March. My office located in front of Phrom Phong BTS, but my salary is a standard wages for foreigner.

I've never worked out of my hometown and I never use public transportation or walk so It's my first time to live alone and without personal facilities supported by my family.

Can any of you give me an illustration about living cost in Thai if I want to live so so... I just wanna feel like in second home, not living in luxury but not underprivileged too.

And sorry na if I talk a lot  ^__^

Again, It's my first time hope you can understand.

Thank you... Khob khun kha maaak

Standard salary is not sufficent info.  Some people are happy living on 30k baht a month while others need 100k plus baht to be happy.

Check this website as a point of reference for apartment.  I would say its mid priced and has decent location but is not situated in night life area. It is also located within several hundred meters of skytrain station and two hypermarts.

http://www.sarannuch.com/

Things to keep in mind while looking.
Make sure any lease you sign is in language you can read.
Ask about electric and water cost per unit.
Live close to skytrain for ease of going to work.
Check for any damage before signing lease.

Thanks @straydog

Is there any differentiation between expat and local thai when renting a room?

I've seen the link ou gave to me, quite nice and lovely studio,

But I worry cant cover other expenses if i spent 10-15k bath for accomodation n transport.

What do u think?

Check out this website. It gives cost of living for many cities in the world  www.numbeo.com

Stumpy great website link.

I_Love_Me its difficult to say without knowing your monthly income and the life style you enjoy.

You can find cheaper places but it may move you further away from skytrain and cost of transportation will increase.  The place I mentioned also has another building called Studio 73 Sukhumvit which is cheaper but I have never seen the rooms.

You can also stay in cheap hotel for a few days so you can look in area you will be working.  There are many places along the Sukhumvit skytrain route you can check.

I would check Thong Lo BTS station area because many cheaper places and I think one ladies only building right next to station.

Give this link a try:  www.mapguidethailand.com
Select English and using the landmark box you can display many different items of interest including hotels and apartments.

Best of luck and if any question please ask.

Its about 30k bath.

Well.. Im young and i like to have fun too sometimes,
Is it nice in thoglor or on nut area at night?

Some of my thai friend, recommend me to find area before nana, suthisan or else.

Anyway thanks a lot, it helps me a lot.

it really depends on you... Dont expect amazing things in Thailand, even Thong Lor its okay but its still Thailand. But thats the point, its got everything for everyone, you just have to find your niche.

Personally i prefer living on the outskirts of Bangkok because you can get a 3 bedroom house, garden, maybe even a pool, for very affordable prices. But city center you will live in a small box condo and pay 20-30k per month, which for me doesnt seem value for money, just to live closer to tong lor or a busier more poluted area. But many others prefer this, its all subjective to you and what you can or cant live without.

dannyboyo wrote:

it really depends on you... Dont expect amazing things in Thailand, even Thong Lor its okay but its still Thailand. But thats the point, its got everything for everyone, you just have to find your niche.

Personally i prefer living on the outskirts of Bangkok because you can get a 3 bedroom house, garden, maybe even a pool, for very affordable prices. But city center you will live in a small box condo and pay 20-30k per month, which for me doesnt seem value for money, just to live closer to tong lor or a busier more poluted area. But many others prefer this, its all subjective to you and what you can or cant live without.

I have a 4-bedroom house in Bangkapi that's 7000 baht month. It's about 20 minutes from Thonglor in non-peak times.

The Thonglor area is better IMO than Onnut and there are some small clubs and good restaurants. It is a more expensive area than Onnut and it's home to quite a few Japanese businessmen working in Thailand. Bar girls like the apartments in the Onnut area as the apartments are cheap (2500-6000 baht).

20-30K gets you a small box condo in the city center? If you only look online on websites in English for apartments, you're going to get higher end places and thus, pay more. There are places for quite a bit less but you're going to need to walk around the area where you want to live, get a moto driver to take you around, or get a Thai friend to help you find a place on a Thai website. In other words, you're going to have to put some effort in and really hunt for a place. But good values are everywhere, even in the city center area.

I live in fashion island area in Ramintra area , my rent is only ฿1500 a month . But that's my thai friend who help me source it :) including electricity and all , it's 2.5k the highest I ever pay for in 6month

Curious to know what you got for 1500 baht. Can you tell us or post a photo? I don't doubt it's possible to find a place this cheap but is it the sort of place most people will feel comfortable living in?

Can sure why not :) but how to post photo when I am on iPhone :)