What's a good package in Thailand?

I'd love to hear from some expats about what is considered as a good salary in Thailand for a Sr. Manager with 14 years of experience? I am thinking of accepting a transfer from KL to Bangkok. Someone mentioned that the cost of living is roughly the same. So I need to make the same money in Bangkok as I do in KL to lead a similar quality of life (???).

Furthermore, what would the approximate costs be for each of the items below, assuming two people:
- Accommodation (rent) for a 2 or 3 BHK (110-130 sq mts) condo with good facilities in Bangkapi area (my office is in Charn Issara Tower):
- Car (4WD):
- Petrol:
- Groceries every week (regular meat eater) from a decent supermarket (Carrefour or Giant):
- Electricity (normal usage, except tend to keep one A/C on the entire night):
- Water:
- Taxes:
- Entertainment (eat in a decent restaurant thrice a week, catch a movie, etc):

Have I missed anything significant? I just need approx. rates.

Is it a transfer? If it's a transfer then your salary in Bangkok will be a function of the following
1) your salary in KL
2)your role in Bangkok
     Is it the same role as in KL or is it a promotion?
3) cost of living which will include a)cost of goods and services b)housing cost

Hence, for anybody to tell you an optimum salary in BKK, it is important to have at least a rough estimation of item 1 and the information on item 2.

If you can provide the above, I'll be able to exactly tell you how much you should earn in BKK

Electricity, be sure you pay direct to the power company and NOT to the landlord, as many landlord take a lot more.
For wife and me, live in 90 sq meters, cooking use Electricity, shower 2-3 time a day (both of us), washing machine, use Air Con as we need, we pay are around 1.200-1.500 baht pr month, around 2.000 baht in the hot season.

Water is free here we live now, but if i remember correct we pay before around 180-200 baht pr month.
Again be sure you pay to the water company.

We pay 1199 +vat,  for 13/1 Mbit internet, Tv packed and land line.

It is hard to say cost for going out and eat, we all different people, you can go out and eat Thai style BBQ, eat all you can for 139 baht +drinks.

Go to place like hot pot eat all you can for 299 or is 399, be a long time now since we go there.

You can buy coupon  (search google for Thai coupon) for restaurant, river cruse and so on for good Entertainment, food and so on. we take the boat trip a few times now for 500 baht for 2-3 hours, big big buffet,  live band playing, singers, drag show and so on.

Eat on some more expensive restaurant when they have promotion on that site.

1 thing about that site, you have to be able to read Thai, or have someone that do to help you, as the deals in Thai language are many time a lot cheaper then same ones in English, and many deals are only in Thai.

Hope you can use some of my information . Other then that, I hope you have a super great time here.

Kindly.

Emkay wrote:

Is it a transfer? If it's a transfer then your salary in Bangkok will be a function of the following
1) your salary in KL
2)your role in Bangkok
     Is it the same role as in KL or is it a promotion?
3) cost of living which will include a)cost of goods and services b)housing cost

Hence, for anybody to tell you an optimum salary in BKK, it is important to have at least a rough estimation of item 1 and the information on item 2.

If you can provide the above, I'll be able to exactly tell you how much you should earn in BKK

thanks emkay. i actually just want to know what is a really good salary in bangkok for an expat.

1. 10k ringgit
2. same grade

Never done that wrote:

Electricity, be sure you pay direct to the power company and NOT to the landlord, as many landlord take a lot more.
For wife and me, live in 90 sq meters, cooking use Electricity, shower 2-3 time a day (both of us), washing machine, use Air Con as we need, we pay are around 1.200-1.500 baht pr month, around 2.000 baht in the hot season.

Water is free here we live now, but if i remember correct we pay before around 180-200 baht pr month.
Again be sure you pay to the water company.

We pay 1199 +vat,  for 13/1 Mbit internet, Tv packed and land line.

It is hard to say cost for going out and eat, we all different people, you can go out and eat Thai style BBQ, eat all you can for 139 baht +drinks.

Go to place like hot pot eat all you can for 299 or is 399, be a long time now since we go there.

You can buy coupon  (search google for Thai coupon) for restaurant, river cruse and so on for good Entertainment, food and so on. we take the boat trip a few times now for 500 baht for 2-3 hours, big big buffet,  live band playing, singers, drag show and so on.

Eat on some more expensive restaurant when they have promotion on that site.

1 thing about that site, you have to be able to read Thai, or have someone that do to help you, as the deals in Thai language are many time a lot cheaper then same ones in English, and many deals are only in Thai.

Hope you can use some of my information . Other then that, I hope you have a super great time here.

Kindly.

thanks ndt. could u comment on the accomodation? just need a range. thats always the biggest expense.

Btw how much does a lack of the local language impede your ability to manage day to day life in bangkok?

I have lived in dubai and kl. i have not felt that a lack of the local language has caused any frustration. i can manage with english when it comes to dealing with govenment agencies to buying street food to talking to a cab driver. all local websites are available in local and english language.

rate from 0-10. zero being u wanna bang ur head on the closest wall. 10 being no noticeable difference in the uk and thailand.

Accommodation in center Bangkok i cant help you there, i chose to live 30-45 min bus trip away from victory monument.
Out here i pay 12.000 baht pr month for 90 sqm. 2 bed rooms, big living room, okay size kitchen, 1 bathroom with toilet, one guest toilet, 2 balcony.

I never find the language to be a problem in Thailand, Even when i first come here in 2010 and i travel around alone.
All ways find a place to sleep, find food, find the bus, taxi, tuk tuk or what every. Thai are very very helpful.

At first i have some apps on my smart phone with Thai food to be sure i get food, but i tell you, i never use them :-)
Look at a picture, point, learn a few Thai word for rice, soup, for meat pig/chicken.
Learn the Thai numbers, they so easy to learn, take a few days.
Maybe get the small pocket book with Thai / English (forget the name) for travel.

As i say i never have problem here when i was alone, and now i have a Thai wife it is even more "easy".
So i have to give me rate at 10, even so i think it is much higher here.

A little Story from my live here.

First i come here i walk around i got lost and find a small Chinese soup shop, i sit down and order some soup, use my fingers to point and my good mood. The "cook" was so happy a Fa-rang come to hes shop, he send for he niece to come, as she speak English, and he want to hear my story and have 1 mill questions for me and help me out.
I think i spend 3-4 hours with them before she drive me to a bus stop and got me on the correct bus.

I have many story like this from my live here, this is why i love this country and the Thai people.

10k Ringget is approximately 95000 baht, donno if it's after tax, if not then for the slab you in it's around 15 percent.

Accommodation : you may get a 2 bedroom decent apartment for around 20k baht in bangkapi area, if you opt for a more happening expat areas in central Bangkok like asok or chidlom close to bts sky train then it will cost you more than double say around 50k baht n up

Transport by car I donno because I don't maintain one but yeah bts sky train it will cost you aroun 2500 baht a month,

If you use cab then that's additional depending on where you go

Grocery: 2500 baht per week for two people
Electricity: 1300 baht
Water:is cheap 150-200baht
Entertainment: eating Thai food in Thai restaurants will be cheaper, Thai street food will be damn cheap "if you can eat it"  else Italian,Japanese,Chinese,Indian restaurant will cost you more, say another 2000 baht

Catching up a movie will be another 1000 baht say...

Sum up and it's around 37000 baht

Even if you are spending 40K baht.....then I think 95k baht is like u have a good salary

All the best

Language is a big problem here, you will hardly find anyone who can speak English, forget good English speaking, you won't get even minimum English speaking people here, so it's not just a zero but a " BIG FAT ZERO "

Ohh man. That price movie, out here 100-120 baht for a movie, if one go on Cheap day (Wednesday where i live) 39 baht. Other place in the area 59 baht on cheap day.
So a lot of cash for the cola and candy. he he

He he If you can eat the street food, make me smile, i find it to be the best food in Thailand.

Again i like to say i never have problem here about the Language here, Even at the time where i didn't understand / talk Thai.
Thai are very good to try understand one, body Language, finger pointing and so on.
And at the beginning here when i go to the Bank, hospital, doctors / dentist office and so on, if problem, they call one form the place that speak English so i was NOT confused any more.

When I say 1000 baht for movie, its not just the ticket price that I mentioned but many a thing like, movie tickets for two,cab,train,snacks,n possibly dining out....

I agree with you....but I personally have nevr been able to eat the street food....it's good that you can...

Without any doubt, Thais are good n warm people but lets admit language is a big problem here,in hospitals or banks they may call someone who can manage to speak or understand English but wot about the rest??? I personally feel very strongly that if you have to stay in Thailand then you need to learn Thai.....English just dosent work here....sorry...

Thanks a ton for your advice. Im pretty clear about the costs except accomodation. but the confusion is more towards where can i live and how much will it cost me. id like to be an expat area but not uber posh. the place should have a pool and gym. proximity to my office in charn issara tower 2 in bangkapi. access to a train line would be good but not essential. any suggestions? :-)

is there a popular website (s) where i can search for properties? i can get a feel of the property rental space:-)

i get the point that ur screwed if u dont try to learn the local thai language.

btw i have visited bkk for work and love the street food. really love it :-)

I reccomend that you find a condo that is near your work as traveling to and from work in Bangkok is a nightmare. Try JC Tower, Thong Lor 25, as it is walking distance to Charn Isara Tower II. There is a restaurant & the pool is good and open 24 hrs but the gym at JC Tower isn't much good but there is a fitnesss centre in Charn Isara Tower II. It is Charn Isara Tower II you will go to yes? On Petchaburi Road near Sukhumvit 55, Thong Lor?. Also Foodland supermarket/restaurant is nearby. Charn Isara Tower II has a food court in the basement, banks, 7/11, shops, and restaurants on 1st & 2nd floors. There are lots of bars & restaurants in Sukhumvit 55, Thong Lor. There are a lot of Jap restaurants there that have cheap set meals for lunch but dinner is expensive. RCA (Royal City Avenue) is nearby which is a large entertainment area. NOT a sex bar area.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=jc+to … :en-GB:off

Hi Robert - yes, it is charn issara tower 2. And thanks for the tip on JC Tower. I did a search on google and the place seems a bit rundown / old, at least from the pictures. Any other options? I noticed most of the 2BRs have a rental of 25K baht. I have a budget of 40-50K and prefer a 100+ sq mt space.

I don't think 40~50k will get you much in that area. It's a Japanese area so can be pricey. There are a lot of buildings in, off and around  Sukhumvit 55/Thong Lor. JC Tower isn't that bad. I lived there for 4 years but I relocated to Chiang Mai. There are some nice renovated modern condos there at reasonable prices and even the Japs have started moving in cos Bangkok is so expensive now and their companies pay for the condo, not them. If you have a car then you can get out and about easily but the traffic will wear you down. Get out of town for the weekends or kick back at the pool. You'll have to search online for places in and around Sukhumvit 55 and check the maps but I can tell you that all areas of Bangkok are shitty. I know I lived there for 24 years before moving out. Sukhumvit 55/Thong Lor has come up a lot over the years and is now a very trendy area for Thais, Japs and expats. Concentrate on a place near your office so you can walk. Petchaburi Road, and all roads, have heavy traffic for going to work and home and even the BTS and MRT are packed but you can't get to Charn Isara with those. Stick to Sukhumvit 55 area is best. Good Luck.

That is good advice Robert. What is a good budget if I plan to live in Thong Lor area / Sukhumvit 55? 70K?

I'm sure the typical roads are traffic clogged, but what about commuting using the highways? Are those bad too and will they make a difference? I was thinking maybe looking for places close to the Sirat and Narong expressways, and doing the drive. That's what I've done in KL basically.

I cannot advise on a long commute via expressways but they would be clogged too and then everyone has to filter down to often single lane traffic in many areas. Petchaburi and Sukhumvit are mostly 3 lanes but ajoining roads would be 2 and 1. I always prefer to live near the workplace. I hate travelling to and from work. You would hate a long commute home at night in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. Thai friends have also told me that they carry a gun for night commuting as attacks have happened. Expats cannot own a gun by the way.  70k will certainly get you something very decent in Sukhumvit 55/Thong Lor area. The further out you go the cheaping it gets but the commute is worse, of course. There are many websites for finding condos & houses etc.

Thanks a ton robert. Bit surprised about the guns. Didnt know about that.

I heard from a Thai friend that in the rush hour traffic stand still, bikers tap on the window with a gun and rob people. No one can do anything to help you so those who can, carry a gun. Expats cannot. I haven't heard of any expats being robbed at gunpoint in this way but a lot of news doesn't get out. It would be bad for Thai image. Thailand is very safe though. Don't get me wrong. In 24 years I never had a problem. If you stick to the expat and tourist areas at night then no problems. Daytime everywhere is safe. You'll be fine.