Rules of teaching english.

I am a soon to be retired police officer. This year I spoke at a Gendarmerie academy in Rochefort, France. It was a very enjoyable time and I must say the officers I met were some of the best young people I have had contact with anywhere. After the presentation I was offered a job teaching english there and I was told with my experience they could help me get a job teaching english at a Gendarmerie academy pretty much anywhere in the country. Is it that simple or do I have to apply for a work permit here in the states first? I know for 99% of the jobs in France I would have to "qualify" here in the states first and then go over but they're making it sound like that can be bypassed. Anyone have any insight to this?  Thank you in advance.

Hello,
I have no personal experience to relate, but my understanding is that you need a job offer first, then you apply for a work visa. Often, employers will take care of much of the paperwork. If you're lucky, they will also help to move you and get you settled. As far as the "qualifications" - it can depend on how they classify your job; you may not need a lot of letters after your name. It's worth asking them for specifics.
Good luck!
Julie

Thank you. I think I'll need it in just trying to understand the "system"  LOL