Civil engineer - project manager in Vietnam

Hi !

I am a Canadian civil engineer that would love to find a job in Vietnam, most preferably Saigon (Ho Chi Minh). I was wondering if anyone on this forum has lived a similar situation or that simply found a job in this amazing country.

While discussing, I would love to get some advice and some methods for where to start.

My parents were born in Vietnam but fled to Canada as refugees in the 70's after the war.

Thank you very much :)

Thien !

You're better off searching for a job with a multinational company either owned by Korean or Japanese that is currently doing the hiring. State owned companies are off-limit unless you have a big 'red' envelope and are a friend of "Mr. Phuc".

If you speak Vietnamese it will open up a broader range of possibilities but as QuidProQuo said you will still probably be better off with an international firm.  One of my neighbors in 2012 was an electrical engineer.  His firm had sub-contracts with some of the large high rise developers downtown and so was presumably a reputable employer.  His salary should be higher now but back then he told me that he was making 17 million a month.  That is a livable salary in Vietnam but less than I was making part time as an ESL teacher.

The oil industry in Vung Tau may also be an option but I don't know if your training is transferable.  Some contributors to this forum work in oil.

Thank you so much for hint. I do speak vietnamese a little bit but not professional enough.

I work for Honeywell, which is an American company. I'll find out if a transfert would be possible :)

thiensan31 wrote:

Thank you so much for hint. I do speak vietnamese a little bit but not professional enough.

I work for Honeywell, which is an American company. I'll find out if a transfert would be possible :)

You answered your own question.  There's your first best option.  https://www.honeywell.com/worldwide/asi … vietnam-en 

If you have a language base, your fluency should improve rapidly once you are in the country.  In fact your best opportunity could be in international sales rather than operations but you have to stop typing with your thumbs.   :top: