Getting internets in Brussels

A non-whimsical post this time....

I'm looking at a nice apartment to live in  - real fancy like, with carpets and curtains and more floor space than you could shake a stick at, were you that way inclined.

Anyways the only crap bit is that it doesn't have internet. I'd have to get that myself. Anyone have any experience opening such an account?

Who's good? Who's fast? Who needs installation and whatnot?

Any tips would be really appreciated, and I promise to post a personalised thank you note for each and every reply*, which can be framed and hung up on your wall, for all to see.

*within reason

Well, it would depend if you can maybe get a better deal if you added your phone and tv to the package. But if you just want internet well we have had two different providers, we use belgacom but they don't offer a super quick connection but to be honest I don't notice it. We had numericable when we were in Brussels and they have quicker download speeds, but did tend to cut out often.
Telenet seems to have good speed too but I can't give any advice on them.

I would just look at those 3 and pick the cheapest, but that's me and I'm lazy :p

Avoid Belgacom at all costs, they are the absolute worst to deal with. Chances are though that whoever you use will be through them, but through a middle-man, which at least means you don't have to deal with Belgacom directly. If that eds up the case, the technician who installs it will be from them, but the appt will be set up by the other company. I would also advise against using Telenet, they're not a good company. Honestly Belgium is not one of the best countries for good internet at good prices, it's one of the few real issues here. They're starting to catch up, though slowly. Our 'net is through Dommel, never had any problems, not exceptional price/rates either, just decent. I know Base is offering better deals than they used to have, I'm not sure how it is though, as we just have them for our mobile provider (in that capacity I'd recommend them, but otherwise I can't say).

pazcat wrote:

Well, it would depend if you can maybe get a better deal if you added your phone and tv to the package. But if you just want internet well we have had two different providers, we use belgacom but they don't offer a super quick connection but to be honest I don't notice it. We had numericable when we were in Brussels and they have quicker download speeds, but did tend to cut out often.
Telenet seems to have good speed too but I can't give any advice on them.

I would just look at those 3 and pick the cheapest, but that's me and I'm lazy :p

Pazcat,

Thank you very much for your response. As promised, here is my personalised response. Please private message me if you would like a signed hard copy of this (although there may be additional charges)

Cheers for your thoughts on the tv packages - I didn't think of that - will defo factor that into my thinking.

Fondest,

Donagh

Melby wrote:

Avoid Belgacom at all costs, they are the absolute worst to deal with. Chances are though that whoever you use will be through them, but through a middle-man, which at least means you don't have to deal with Belgacom directly. If that eds up the case, the technician who installs it will be from them, but the appt will be set up by the other company. I would also advise against using Telenet, they're not a good company. Honestly Belgium is not one of the best countries for good internet at good prices, it's one of the few real issues here. They're starting to catch up, though slowly. Our 'net is through Dommel, never had any problems, not exceptional price/rates either, just decent. I know Base is offering better deals than they used to have, I'm not sure how it is though, as we just have them for our mobile provider (in that capacity I'd recommend them, but otherwise I can't say).

Melby,

Thank you very much for your response. As promised, here is my personalised response. Please private message me if you would like a signed hard copy of this. As with pazcat there may be additional charges associated with this, but I would be prepared to give you a 'frequent Expat poster' discount of 10%, as well as an upgrade on the normal plain wooden frame to the more exclusive frame with faux-mahogany finish.

Heard bad things about Belgacom too - bunch of cowboys I was told. Will avoid like the plague.

So I'm going to try Voo!