First trip recommendations

Hi everyone.

I'm making my first trip down to Panama at the end of August to start/explore the friendly nations visa process. Outside of seeing an immigration lawyer and meeting with the bank, I haven't really made any other plans.

I will be in Panama for just over a week and I'm curious as to what other people would recommend in order to get a "good feel" for the country (e.g. towns to visit, how to travel etc...)

Thanks in advance :)

Brice in Canada

Where do you think you might want to live? City? Country? Mountains? Beach area? With expats or locals? How is your Spanish? What do you see yourself doing in your new life here? Panama isn't big but it has many options and choices. I'd say pick two (maybe three if you can fit it in) likely areas and visit each. Take buses and taxis to see more of the country and get a feel for life here.

Thank you. That provides me with some direction. I think I will rent a car and travel west from Panama City, with the main intent of hitting Boquete.

Keep in mind that driving in Panama City is a total pain, heavy traffic, confusing, etc. I think they have some street signs now, but not everywhere. Also, there is mandatory insurance which will about double the price of the car. Carefully inspect the car for every tiny scratch and dent before you take it so you don't get charged for repairs later. If it were me I'd take the bus and rent a car in David, or there's a guy a lot of people go to in Boquete - Cowboy Dave.

If you need a driver for pickup or a tour I know someone in Panama city and another in Chiriqui.   https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/201 … in-panama/

One hour west of Panama City you will find a beautiful mountain area close to Altos de Campana NP. In the town of Chicá there are some new developments being build which might be interesting. Besides relatively close to Panama City it is also about only 15 minutes from the beach of Coronado where you will find shops, schools, hospital etc.

Good advice to avoid driving in or out of Panama City. Many other transportation options, including good public transport and hired drivers.

Check the weather closely for any towns you want to check out. Most of Panama is VERY hot and humid. Boquete is much cooler - usually in the 70s. If you live in a beach town you will live with AC 24/7. Unless you love hot hot weather the low lying areas will not be for you. I would never want to drive in Panama City - don't even like taking the cabs!  You can take a 1 hour flight to David and rent a car there or there is a bus - 6+ hours to David.

When it comes to relocating anywhere in Latin America, the name of the game is to base everything on solid research.  I have seen too many people moving to one place, because it was recommended or because they "fell in love" with it.  First, I would write down what is important in your life - from the important (kids, health concerns) to the seemingly mundane (playing baseball, tasting beer).  Once you have such a list, compare the items when you come down to Panama with the equivalent options there.  Be very meticulous about it.  The first impression is often very misleading when faced with new geography, climate, and culture.  Whatever great experience you will have, always evaluate it asking yourself the following question, "Can I do this every week?"  If you cannot or if don't want to, you should discount that experience.  Hope it helps.