Moving to Panama

Hi All,

I am planing to relocate to Panama, I have good language skills in Spanish, I am graduate in pharmacology. I need to know what you need to do in order to obtain a permanent residence in Panama, it is difficult? what is the timescale, documentation and cost required? Any possibilities to find jobs related to my degree?

Cheers

Max

If you Google all your questions you will get a ton of information.

Good luck!

Or, use the Forum Categories search just to the right of your post right here on this Panama Forum.  There are several categories that may answer some of your questions, such as "Work", "Visas", "Moving", and "Cost of Living".  Also, check out the Panama Expat Guide above.

Once you make contact with an immigration attorney, he/she will be able to assist with employment questions in more detail.

Thanks I have just found some interesting site and I discovered that as italian will be pretty easy to relocate there I have still to answer the questions about my job qualification.....

Hi Falankuk!

Do you already live in Panamá?
Or still working on the residence and work permit thing?

Hi no never lived there before just planning to move right now

Let me know, if you need help with anything...

Hi bluebird as I said about potential jobs as a pharmacologist thanks for your help by the way seems that I have done advantages for the visa being italian

I have worked for two Panama law firms and published a lot of articles about Panama Immigration.

I am sorry to report that the Professional Employment Visa will not apply to you because certain professions are reserved for Panama citizens including "Pharmacy and Chemistry".  The reason is that this visa was designed to bolster the work force in Panama by attracting foreigners with education and skills which Panama universities or trade schools do not offer.  Since dentists, medical doctors, chemists, and pharmacists can be educated and trained by some of these schools, there is no need (in the government's eyes) for bringing in these types of foreign professionals.

Since you are an Italian citizen, you have two options:  The Friendly Nations Visa and there is a treaty between Italy and Panama allowing their citizens to move to the other country. 

Steven Rich, MBA

Hi Steven thanks for tour reply it si exactky what i ma aware in regata of the italian and Panama treaty

Hi Falankuk,
We have here a lot of Pharma-companies, like Farmazona (which is one of the biggest). You have to check, if your diploma will be accepted here in Panama.
Yes, with the Visa you shouldn´t have problems, as Italy should have the agree  with Panama "Paises amigos". But you should check it.
If you need a good lawyer, let me know and I can send you his contact.

Pharmacy is not a profession allowed for foreigners.  I just received the list used by Panama Immigration of professions which are reserved only for Panamanians.  It is in Spanish, but I am going to translate it for an article I will be publishing in a newspaper and online.  It also has the Panama law citation to the right of each profession:

Enfermería. Ley 1 de 1954
    Barbería y cosmetología. Ley 4 de 1956
    Odontología. Ley 22 de 1956
    Arquitectura. Ley 15 de 1959
    Ciencias agrícolas. Ley 22 de 1961
    Farmacia. Ley 24 de 1963
    Quiroprácticos. Decreto 8 de 1967
    Nutrición. Decreto 362 de 1969
    Medicina. Decreto 196 de 1970
    Psicología. Ley 56 de 1975
    Asistente Médico. Decreto 32 de 1975
    Contabilidad. Ley 57 de 1978
    Periodismo. Ley 67 de 1978
    Laboratoristas. Ley 74 de 1978
    Relaciones Públicas. Ley 37 de 1980
    Fonoaudiología, terapistas y similares. Ley 34 de 1980
    Economía. Ley 7 de 1981
    Trabajo Social. Ley 17 de 1981
    Medicina Veterinaria. Ley 3 de 1983
    Fisioterapia. Ley 47 de 1984
    Radiología Médica. Ley 42 de 1980
    Derecho. Ley 9 de 1984
    Asistente Dental. Ley 21 de 1994
    Sociología. Ley 1 de 1996
    Química. Ley 45 de 2001
    Educación. Ley 47 de 1946
    Ingenierías. Decreto Ejecutivo 257 del 1965

Steven Rich, MBA

Cheers I will get in touch with you in the near future

Nevertheless, he could work in the industry, not as Pharmacist, but at least in his branch...

Steven pharmacology is not pharmacy I am a pharmaceutical sale representative I speak Spanish not need to be translated

So then you won't have any problems ;-)

You are correct.  Only a "pharmacist" is reserved for Panamanians.  Pharmaceutical sales persons are not "pharmacists".  So you can work as a sales rep. in Panama.  However, a sales person is not a recognized "profession" which requires a university degree in that "profession".  So, you will not qualify for Panama's Foreign Professional Visa.  You will qualify for the Friendly Nations Visa which allows you to work for a Panama company as a sales rep. and obtain a work permit.

Recently, immigration officials put together a list of professions “reserved” for Panamanians which foreigners cannot be employed as.  Here is a translation of that list:

Accountant, agricultural science, architect, attorney, barber, chemist, chiropractor, cosmetologist, dentist, dental assistant, doctor (medicine, veterinarian), economist, engineer, journalist, laboratory, medical assistants, nursing, nutritionist, pharmacist, physical therapist, psychology, public relations, radiologist, social worker, sociologist, speech therapist, and teacher (under Ministry of Education for public schools)

Foreigners wishing to relocate to Panama wanting to qualify for the Foreign Professional Visa or to meet economic activities requirements for the 50 Friendly Nations Visa cannot be employed in any of the above-mentioned professions.

Steven Rich in Panama

Can a Canadian in Panama stay in country like a us citizen for 3 months and then skip across the border for a day or are the rules different for Canadians and what if i own a home in Panama does that make any difference

Ask your Panamanian lawyer!

Where  did you get that idea?

Whatever, we won't be seeing you working at Revilla any time soon.

Buen Suerte!

Rod, your question assumes some incorrect ideas. Do basic research on the requirements to enter Panama and the nature of a visitor visa vs the ability to use a foreign drivers licence.

Why would you imagine there might be a difference in the treatment of Canadians vs Americans?

What my american friends in Boquete were telling me while i was there was every 3 months they have to do a overnighter in Costa Rico because they don,t have a visa or a cedula and they can,t stay in country more then 90 days so i wanted to know if the same rules apply for Canadians, and since we are buying a home there would that make any difference without a cedula or visa

Rod,

In order to obtain a Cedula  you need to first have a permanent residency Visa. As Canadian (or American for that matter) you can actually stay in Panama for up to 180 days with just the tourist visa.

At any rate, best is if you check on which options apply to your particular case in terms of visa, etc. with a local immigration lawyer.

It is the right to drive on your own drivers licence which expires in 90 days. A visitor visa for a cdn or us resident can normally be 6 months. The border hop is for licence purposes.

You really need to do your own research on available resident visas before thinking about buying a house.   You clearly have not done that yet.

Thank you Steve,
I have just read the 8 types of visa,s and we do qualify for a few .I am doing research everyday, we are not planning on staying full time in Panama for at least 2 more years but we will be looking to buy this trip as a Canadian i cannot stay more then six months in one stretch without losing my Canadian health care, which as you can imagine is our biggest concern.On our last trip to Panama we heard from different couples how they would have chosen a different visa then the ones they have now, i would like to hear opinions from expats as well as lawyers ,information is knowledge

The thread below - and many others - has some info:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 97#3059101

Thank you Steve