New to HCMC, New to ESL Teaching...

Hi, I just got to HCMC a little over a week ago after completing CELTA training. I've been actively applying to jobs but still no luck. I've noticed that most advertised positions ask for experience. It's the age-old conundrum: How can newbies get experience if no one will give you an opportunity? So does anyone have any advice, suggestions or leads on any ESL jobs that hire those without professional experience but with the requisite BA, CELTA and US passport?  Even substitute/fill-in positions will work.
FYI: I'm also heavily melanated (lol..and happily so) and obviously not the stereotypical "American". In addition to that, I'm an older-than-average recent college grad. I don't know if these are notable factors to consider, but I thought I'd include them as full disclosure.

Every other year I hand out about 5 or resumes a day. I scour the internet for addresses each afternoon and hit a different cluster every morning.

Somewhere around 3 or 4 days I start getting interviews. By day 5 or 6 I'm hired.

I get calls and emails to interview for about a year after that. Hence every other year.

June is a good time, May is better since public schools have wound down and language institutes are looking for help in anticipation of increased enrolment.

Private schools may be looking for summer program help which might turn into a full time position in the fall.

International schools will only be interested if your degree is in a hard to find area such as Math or Sciences.

Dress for the job. That means a tie, a jacket if you brought one.

Be prepared to do a demo on a moments notice.

Thanks for your advice. I have been handing out resumes left and right (but I will step it up) and just to let you know, no suit and tie needed--I'm a woman.

Hi devo1067,

How much and how long did it take you to complete the celta training?

On average, the CELTA runs about $1600, not including the hotel/flight and other associated cost during the 4 week long course.

Hi there!

I'm Seb, and I am also planning on moving to HCMC by 14th August. Like yourself, I'm an ESL teacher. I applied for the job through a company called TEFL (there are UK and US versions I believe) - it might be worth checking out the job centre on their website and see if the qualification you already have will make you ellegible.

Hope you find work soon!

Seb

Hi Seb, thanks for the suggestion. But do you have a specific URL?

Here are a few links:

UK link is the one im registered with (because im from the UK)

https://www.tefl.org.uk/https://www.tefl.com/

Hi Seb, are you doing it in UK or Saigon?

Hi there,

Im doing the teaching course in the UK and then will begin the teaching job in Saigon in August.

Seb