Which town to choose¿

Hello everyone, my name is Robert and I'm coming from San Antonio Texas with my family.  We have 7 young children and looking for a place to to call home.  We have 2 k per month to live off of and will home school for the first year.  My question is, which town would be safe and  away from all the gringo prices, and yet close to the beach?  We have a limited income but hopeful we can find something out there that will work.  What town do you recommend we start to research?  Thanks so much.

Corozal! We found the price is much less than Ambergris Caye in just about everything. The town is very beautiful on the bay. I just bought a lot there myself:).

Suncrave wrote:

Corozal! We found the price is much less than Ambergris Caye in just about everything. The town is very beautiful on the bay. I just bought a lot there myself:).

What makes Corozal the best town for people with young children?

What are the Beaches like in  Corozal?

Lol. I just look at the part that is affordable and close to the ocean. Though there is no beach to speak of, the seawall seems as good. I saw lots of local kids there swimming in the ocean every afternoon after school in town. I wished I could have had that when I was a kid. Happy and free. In fact, I wish kids could all do that instead of being indoor on the phone.  And there is a Bayfront school. I saw parents line up in cars every morning to deliver and to pick up during lunch and afterwards. I have no opinion about the quality of the education since I do not have kids there.

Thanks Suncrave,
As mentioned, we want to make a small homestead in land away from the tourist spots. Yet close enough we can drive to beach.   Would safety be a concern the farther away from the beach one goes?  What is the price of a gallon of milk?

I only bought beer not milk:). Don't know about the milk price at corozal. On Ambergris Caye, a half gallon fresh milk was around $7 USD. But, those that do not require refrigeration in a carton was a couple of bucks. I have not noticed a difference in safety between Bayfront and in main part of the town. Although, I did see a lot of homeless looking people in the main town square. We walked around everywhere daily, no problem to us. Not a tourist town. It seems to have a very tight knit expat community. I got to know quite a few in a short time I was there.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated.  Wow, $7 bucks for milk.. about $3+- here in Texas.

LA LA the cartons keep well only need refrigeration after opened and can be used exactly like fresh milk. Fresh milk does not keep well so only buy what you are sure you can use in a day or 2. I tend to always have a few cartons of LA LA in the cupboard so I don't risk having spoiled coffee, first thing in the morning.

You could look down in the south. PG is nice. Not really beaches, but it's oceanfront. Placencia and Hopkins have nice beaches and are nice places for kids, but they're a little pricey. You could look for something on the southern highway in that area and be 15-30 minutes from beach. We're in monkey River with three of our four kids. We love it, but it's very remote.

I have never to PGA. I wonder if it is rainy and buggy so as I was told? I am from Oregon. Do not like rain.

I mean PG. Auto correction. Ugh.

Suncrave wrote:

I have never to PGA. I wonder if it is rainy and buggy so as I was told? I am from Oregon. Do not like rain.

I grew up/ in Miami Springs Fl, spent three youthful summers in the Florida Keys, visited many caribbean islands as a youth and in older life. Now Belize. My life experiences tell me when you have a warm tropical climate and enough wet stuff falling from the sky to have RAIN Forests close by you're gonna have BUGS.  :D

But, there are parts that are dryer and less buggy. For example, there are no sand flies in Corozal but in other parts of the country they could eat you alive. Also, wetter climate causes more bugs. You may compare average rain falls each month in different locations.

Suncrave wrote:

But, there are parts that are dryer and less buggy. For example, there are no sand flies in Corozal but in other parts of the country they could eat you alive. Also, wetter climate causes more bugs. You may compare average rain falls each month in different locations.

It has always amazed me that some of the people that love warm tropical climates, (the same conditions that "bugs" also love,) also expect it to be near bug free.  :unsure   It is a fact of life, warm tropical areas have a lot of varieties of insects.

When I went to Corozal in October of 2015 to explore, the rains were so heavy many roads were flooded, and I could not get north of town to explore a couple of expat  areas as I had planned. I waited a few days but the water did not recede enough to safely drive the small rental car through them. So I used my remaining time to head back to Placencia where I found the house I later bought.

You say " there are no sand flies in Corozal". What are commonly called sand flies/sand fleas/no-see-ums. Are actually not insects (bugs) at all, they are tiny crustaceans that live in coastal sand. When they are active I have found a local product called Sand Flea ByBy to be very effective at preventing bites.

They spray in PG, so if you're cool with that, you'll fin less bugs there. There is a lot of rain during the rainy, but it's not all day long. It rains a couple times a day with breaks. Honestly, come April every year, I'm praying for the rainy season to start because it cools it down.

I don't think you can get away from mosquitoes anywhere in Belize. If you're right on the water the ocean breeze might fight them back a bit but I got bit from PG to Corozal. In fact they were so bad in Cerros that I ran from my car to the water because they bombed me. I then stopped to respray repellent when I got to the water but we literally had to run back to the car and open the windows to suck the little parasite highjackers out of the car.

Bondfam, I think the bugs are probably a bit off your original topic. You mentioned homesteading so I'm guessing you need some land. I've heard that the Sittee River area is really fertile and still in good proximity to the beach. You might also check the area around Progresso to Sarteneja.