Naturalisation and citizenship in Latvia

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Latvia? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Latvia? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Latvian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hello, in answer to all you wrote as I live , and have done for six years in Latvia as resident only nothing is required for you to be citizen. No as far as I know if you speak the lingo and have job and residence no problems. From my stance I need it not as resident gives you many advantages. Latvia is one of the hardest languages in this world to learn. I can vote in local elections. I can do what I want and licence my car or business without question. one thing I lost was my English car rotted in the garden as no one wanted it and Latvia is the only nation to say no right hand drive allowed. Other than that jobs here pay little as the base rate earned by many is 340 euro per month. If some earn 400 wow! riches. In the city it is expensive to live as rates are high and shops expensive compared to buying property in rural situations as rates are low and property cheaper. Most villages have their local shop .If you run a car shopping is in the supermarkets on towns. I say run a car as roads here are biblical and insult to the road tax paid. Pot holes sand based dust storms in summer and death trap iced unseen dangers in winter. All car drivers have new springs fitted every Spring time to all cars .The main roads are tarmac hard cored affairs. The A1 road runs from the Russian border through Tallina in Estonia right into Riga city centre and docks.  One fast commercial road. Called the Via Baltic highway.  Anything else you want to know contact me.

Hi Naesby,

Thank you for your feedbacks, very much appreciated.

http://www.pmlp.gov.lv/en/home/services … alizacija/

"has been in Latvia for not less than the last five years" It means in case you change your mind, you are eligible to acquire the nationality right ?

In your opinion,  owning property, specially the formalities, would be more simple or the same ?

All the very best,
Bhavna

no I said it matter s not. You must learn the language but none of us bother as besides manners with some kind words learned being just resident allows you to have everything so why bother going the full hog. Im happy as it is and so about sixty members of our English born expats club. Party hard and live the life. Cant see your problem old sport. I have latvian car license passport always British no matter what.Why do you crave dual citizenship any way. We are British residents with full rights  so why bother.

Hi there, can anyone recommend me about a law office in riga that can help me gain a citizenship? I need an expert lawyer.
Thanks