How to bring your car to Canada

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Canada, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Canada?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Canada, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Canada?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

No I did not, and it was not worth to through the legal process, more ever vehicles are cheaper here comparing to other countries.

Hi,

My advise, just don't do it, it doesn't worth it.
the country is plenty of cars.
Good luck.

Don't need to bring your car where as in Mauritius we drive on the right side as in Canada left side.
Changing the side of driver place will cost money.
New car may start from 15,000 CDN$ and up.
New rules which is govern by Federal Government about the specification of vehicles
Used car can buy from 500 CDN$ and up

Yes I brought two vehicles around twenty years back.
It' was simple process back then , first you had to make sure that particular imported car ( make and model) is admissible in canada as per MTO. Or CANADA customs, if it is, then pay gst, obviously some paper work is involved plus some mechanical requirements such as day light,  safety  and emissions.

By the way I imported from USA.

Which country you are from? Rules and regulations are slightly different for US and other countries.