The best services to use when moving to Thailand

Hello everyone,

What were the biggest hurdles you faced when moving to Thailand? Were there any services available that helped?

Which services helped you most upon your arrival in Thailand? Were there any that helped you adapt and integrate in your new home?

Are there any services that you wished were available when you moved to Thailand?

Did you find the price of the different services available reasonable? Were there any that were overpriced, to your mind?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello ,

Priscilla 26 April 2017 13:14:43 Report #1
      24104 posts

What were the biggest hurdles you faced when moving to Thailand?

Finding a reasonable landlord who were open for an English speaking foreigner and kept to our agreement.

Were there any services available that helped?

Nope.

Which services helped you most upon your arrival in Thailand?

Chiang Mai Removals.
FA's cleaning and housekeeping service
"A" Rent a Car - Wittaya Suk-a-rom (Thai owned and operated)

Were there any that helped you adapt and integrate in your new home?

Nope.

Are there any services that you wished were available when you moved to Thailand?

Due to the specifics of the local mentality, it is de-facto impossible to make a b*****it-proof service of any kind. I have yet to find any except for those mentioned above.

Generally, one would want to deal with foreigner owned and operated anything in TH. As otherwise common sense and logic are both foreign and not adopted concepts.

Another hint is never trust anybody who is making money on "helping" foreigners, even when it is a foreigner-operated business.

If there is somebody to actually help, it is done without the money involved.

Did you find the price of the different services available reasonable?
Were there any that were overpriced, to your mind?

What appears as "overpriced" from the first glance is impossible to implement in TH reality otherwise while keeping adherence to the agreements, common sense and quality simultaneously in the same package.

I hope that helps.

Thailand today is not what it used to be. Corruption is all around and due to the education system Morals do not exist.

Lawyers are one of the worst as they tell you what they think you want to hear and when you catch them out just smile and utter the same old "This is not a problem phrase". Never trust a lawyer as BBC reporter Jonathan Head who is going through a case out there now in Phucket will confirm. Lawyers are in it for the money only and one of ours even sold our documents to the other side, so beware.

The place is going down hill fast at this time a military government who sized power in 2014 is running it into the ground and things change for the worse by the hour.

To live there you have to be mad or a pervert, They will sell you an Elite visa for upwards of 10K but its not worth the paper its written on as they can cancel it at any-time. Other visa's see you running to the border every 90 days to pay again to live there. They even want to know what you do where you go and what social media you use in the 90 day report you have to do.

Put money in a Thai bank then if you leave try taking it with you.

Buying a house you cannot Thai wife can with your money then she can kick you out and move in the old boyfriend and there is nothing you can do about it before they kick you out of the country penniless.

Condo you can buy but only if the rest of the building is 51% owned by Thais, again watch out for the thai wife and here boyfriend as you may find yourself flying over the balcony or committing suicide as 3 have this very week and it happens every week in Thailand. us Farangs seem to go there to die.

Buy any thing off a thai make sure you get it documented as what happened this morning will happen to you. Thai sells his car via facebook then with a spare set of keys goes to buyers house and steels it back overnight.

I could go on but it will take all day. Any expat who lives there will confirm above unless they also have taken up the Thai education of best to lie than tell the truth.

I love the country and many of my Thai friends there who are straight, but far to many are corrupt just like the most inept corrupt police force in the world The BIB.

Look at Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos before Thailand, its a lot safer and you will be better off there. That is if you do not want to get caught up in Lies & Corruption that will either kill you or leave you penniless.

You have been warned and so sad to have to be the one who warned you as I once loved the place more than home.

Upon arrival every Thia is willing to help with anything. Many times Thai's do not know the question or have an answer, so they simply give some answer, not to look dumb. Many times they will help you with any service when you get here but often they do not tell you if it is fair price or some of those refined details that add to the cost of your transactions. Since, according to my experience, many pieces of information are not readily available one need to take do some navigating of the landscape.

My very first trip I used Agoda to do some initial comparative shopping for lodging. There after it was the hit and miss investigative process, and remembering prices. Then it was soliciting information from anyone I could, and comparing the information. I did find a Thai who  would help me, but as always she didn't always understand my questions. For example "you can get internet", but there are all of these other contractual things associated. Since you are Farang you have all the money in the world, so no problem to her. She was helpful many times and many ways. But everyone need to use their own survival skills to find their own level of comfort, that takes time.

One thing, like almost every place there is the issue of time. If you frequent low key places you begin to get recognized recognized and gradually become part of the regular group. Doing so expands you contacts and additional sources for information. Simply going to a coffee shop, at a regular time, is one way of doing it. Going to a place for snacks, at a regular time, also helps. The regularity to the small shops gives the owners a greater sense of appreciation to serving you and later helping you with things. I now have a shop in my neighborhood and she has become a wonderful source of any information. Like the Thai expression - up to you. I personally find a beautiful and charming Thai personality when dealing with them, aside from ALL of the other bad Thai things.

I do know of a moving service, for those that need it. It's for moving your household goods. He's an Aussie in Chiang Mai with a good reputation and will ship anywhere. I can forward the information if need be.
I have dealt with Assist Thai Visa in Chiang Mai. There are excellent with every kind of visa issue.

In Chiang Mai there is a service called Perfect Homes. They too are very good and are operated by an Aussie. Prices may be a little high, but there are competitive prices. When it comes to land lords they can be good or very bad. It is always best to interview the landlord when shopping for a place. It helps give you a better feel of what you are dealing with. Ask for what's included in the rent, which will give you more indications of your prospective landlord. Buyer beware!

Yes there is that culture that wants to ripe off any Farang for as much as they can. Just do your homework. Always be cautious flashy smile, which often means for money to the Farang.

Wow. 90% nonsense neveragain.

Thanks Neveragain, what you say is 100% true.

soibeer wrote:

Yes, indeed "wow" to read this comment referring to "nonsense".

Junior traveler detected.

I would suggest you to get off the beach / expat bubble and try doing the following

(a) go out with the locals to make "friends" and not get screwed / used for services / money / whatever - and I mean wealthy locals educated overseas in the US business schools / colleges and alike (enjoy),
(b) start a business with BOI with full ownership (enjoy),
(c) rent an office / condo shop at your company for the same price / terms as the locals (enjoy),
(d) make contracts / agreements with the locals incl. Landlords on your terms,
(e) hire locals and make them not lie / cheat / screw you or at least call you back the same day when they do not pick up their phone,
(f) try local hospital and/or buy medications at the "normal" (local) price (God forbid),
(g) claim local insurance (God forbid),
(h) hire a(the) local lawyer(s) and succeed with what you want to achieve from a local 3d-party,
(i) try to get back what is yours from a local due to the local's fault / mistake,
(j) enforce your agreement with a local landlord in a local court,
(k) if you don't have kids, visit a local school with a local friend who has, and ask what they do/learn there daily - in details - esp. how they start their day and the lessons,
(l) find a woman who will not screw you for your money for whatever "purpose" (for family, brother / sister / mother / whatever),
(m) open an USD / EUR bank account (in a local bank, of course) fund it and then move your money out of the country (enjoy),
(n) renew/prolong your business [rental or whatever] agreement with a local [provider / supplier] on the same conditions or at least less than on 50% price increment when your business [at this property / with service / whatever] is succeeding,
(o) not get surprises from your ED visa provider for as long as you keep that kind of visa (if you have an ED visa) such as cancellation with less than 1 week notice and so further,
(p) find a driver with their car for at least 1 (one) consequent month without the need to find a replacement (prepay every day, of course),
(q) install fiber optic internet directly to your apartment in a condominium where you were promised it is possible in writing,
(r) ensure that your swimming pool is actually clean by western standards,
(s) obtain the deposit back in full from your landlord the same day as stated in your agreement,
(t) ensure that your landlord is paying for the communal and other condo fees as stated in your agreement in case if you are renting the condo,
(u) find a driver who does not call to your phone and don't ask "where to go?" while hailing Uber / Grab Taxi in more than 15% cases,
(v) import anything above THB 60000 in CIF value obeying the local import regulations and pay exactly the same import duty/tax as it "should be" by their own regulations,
(w) in case of a road accident, get the other party not escape the scene then iterate f,g,h as you please,
(x) while in a line for a local service, make other locals not jump in front of you while being very very very polite and friendly,
(y) when you disagree with a local establishment and/or a local person try to make it "your" way,
(z) go to a police office and file a claim for road accident escapee then make them find / penalize the escapee for less than 6 months.

Assuming that you are a white foreigner.

So that is roughly 26 points as the letters count in the English alphabet and I just got started from the top of my mind based on my own personal / professional / entrepreneurial experience here.

After you have tried at least half of the list above and lived in TH for over 20 months with visa runs and Immigration extensions, come back and let's talk about the "nonsense" and what exactly you put into this word.

It would be refreshing to have your no-nonsense no-sugar-coated long-term full depth TH experience shared here on this very forum.

soibeer wrote:

I agree with you @soibeer and think your 90% is generous.

My advise for those moving to Thailand is to leave all your "baggage" at home at make a fresh start here.

NeverAgain, am sure a lot of what you say is True. However if you just live here, don't do business with Thai's. Rent your Apt. enjoy the resorts, scenery, use Thailand as a home base for travel, live on a retirement visa that has to be renewed every year. Get your income from the US. I still believe it is a good place to live & save money to travel. Don't talk about politics to anyone, just try to enjoy what you have, save a little for a rainy day. I am from the US. California one of the most Expensive places there is to live, we go back & forth because we miss our friends, but it is getting harder & harder to be able to do this. One day we will have to decide where we want to call home. I don't think Thailand is such a bad choice. I have never had a problem with safety & I get lost all the time trying to drive here. The private hospitals are so affordable that you can just pay as you go. I have been here for 5 years, 2 years of that I had serious culture shock.Good Luck to everyone, if your not Happy try somewhere else.

I've been here for 22 years, and have never experienced the problems you are talking about and I run a business here to boot. If you spend your entire time in Thailand whining to anyone that will listen that Thailand is a difficult place to live then of course you are going to have problems. Perhaps I'm just a little smarter and far more patient than you?

California4me wrote:

However if you just live here, don't do business with Thai's. Rent your Apt. enjoy the resorts, scenery, use Thailand as a home base for travel, live on a retirement visa that has to be renewed every year. Get your income from the US. I still believe it is a good place to live & save money to travel. Don't talk about politics to anyone, just try to enjoy what you have, save a little for a rainy day.

True.

I have finally arrived to a state to do just that and communicate with the Thai world via proven proxies. But even those cannot be reliable enough. Just the reality.

California4me wrote:

One day we will have to decide where we want to call home. I don't think Thailand is such a bad choice. I have never had a problem with safety & I get lost all the time trying to drive here.

California4me wrote:

The private hospitals are so affordable that you can just pay as you go

Define "affordable". To have an operation on broken femur plus broken hand starts at THB 600 000 in Bangkok Hospital outside of Bangkok and the price is not final (to be paid in cash with at least THB 200 000 non-refundable deposit). That is roughly USD 21 000 by today's rate. If that is affordable for "pay as you go" then OK.

But keep in mind that no one is protected from the medical mistakes here, as the courts do not really work and chances of winning a case against any Thai are slim. Especially if that is a "respected" Thai [such as a doctor, for example].

California4me wrote:

I have been here for 5 years, 2 years of that I had serious culture shock.Good Luck to everyone, if your not Happy try somewhere else.

Good for you.

For the combination of the below items TH has no competition in the region and, possibly, in the world:

* Absense of petty/street crime
* Low cost accomodation
* High quality accomodation
* Not too badly polluted nature (there are still such places there)
* Up to date modern infrastructure (No.1 for me in this list)

Everything else [and the above] - approach with caution.

soibeer wrote:

I've been here for 22 years, and have never experienced the problems you are talking about and I run a business here to boot.

I do not know the kind of a business you are running, but since you say you're doing it for the last 22 years, I assume you do not have full ownership (as I have mentioned in p.b) in this business due to the nature of your business, and are most likely than not married with a Thai national [who also happens to be your business partner in your business].

That combination makes your opinion a highly biased one, tending to sugar coat and/or not to pay attention to the reality surrounding you and your new family, and for sure - not to disclose that reality on a public forum like this one.

You live "your dream" and is obviously better off here in TH than back to your home country. It is your choice.

But do not sugar coat the truth. Others may make a quite misguided decision to move in TH otherwise by thinking it is all wine and roses. It is obviously not.

soibeer wrote:

If you spend your entire time in Thailand whining to anyone that will listen that Thailand is a difficult place to live then of course you are going to have problems. Perhaps I'm just a little smarter and far more patient than you?

Now clean up your glasses and tell me where was I "whining". I have merely listed the facts one has to deal with while actively living here.

On the opposite, I have chosen to live in TH by reading all the sugar coating BS about this country, and I believe it is always best to tell the truth, as it is and describe the difficulties one has to face once arrived.

Sure all those heavily invested personalities in language, wives, family, children, business are "smarter" and definitely more "patient" than me.

Knowing the truth, however, I do not find it any "smarter" and that it is worth all the "patience" to incorporate in TH, rather than in SG or even HK, knowing their own drawbacks and difficulties (prices and whatnot).

I also can understand that your status in TH is based on a retirement [or marriage] visa, not a business visa, and that makes "the whole difference in the World".

The only "smarter" move to live in TH, as I see it after living here, is to "save" on the living costs, but in the end it does not come as "cheap" as it appears, after doing the business immigration full stop. Even visa runs to HK are cheaper, but still not guaranteed. At least I keep my freedom to move anywhere once I am denied visa/extension.

So it is always better to note - approach with caution.

Calling a detailed statement as a "90% nonsense" without providing any details is far from being "smarter".

Sure sounds like whining to me.

And I'll deal with the above one by one when I get the time, but to be blunt, these are cliched complaints trotted out daily on Thai Visa, Teak Door, Bangkok Post forum daily. I've lived in 4 countries and I've never heard a bigger load of whiners than Thai expats.

OK old troll.

"Truth is like poetry, and everybody hates poetry" the classics.

If there is a younger version of me who may be reading this out there, then make sure my "whining" will not become yours.

It is well worth to know before coming, at least that TH has the 2nd deadliest roads in the world and its medicine cannot be trusted.

That will make you think about a world class int. insurance in advance.

There will always be gentlemen like these on the online forums who will call truth revealers "crybabies" "whinning" and bully otherwise without providing a single counter fact because they are "smarter" "live longer" " more patient" and overall their shit doesn't smell.

Those who are capable of analyzing information have already received grounds for an informed decision.

Enjoy TH, get ready to give what it takes (it will take all it possibly can) and endure if unprepared.

And do not believe/trust these long term "smarter" "expats" who became more Thai than a Thai. They became Siamese themselves or just found their suitable environment here (i.e. Siamese) which means double faced and no longer represent a type of behaviour you would expect from a fellow US citizen or any other western person.

Classic example.

If I were reading this 2 and a half years ago, I would have saved health and money.

It actually takes more patience and wisdom to learn on other people's mistakes. I hope that you, the reader, would take notice and avoid repeating mine.

These are not complaints.

These are the facts.

If it sounds "cliche" that even further confirms its truth.

You hear it quite often because generally it is BS all around TH on all the forums you have mentioned, and people naturally become angry when they see it otherwise themselves in reality.

Many do not share facts because they see how others are being bullied for telling the truth by these particular "white Thais" who are getting angry as their "new home" is not as good as it was 20 years ago. They are kids inside and just cannot accept the truth that TH is actually going downhill. They will protect it [their "dream" which has already been vanished] to the last teeth by bullying. But do not expect a single counter fact from them stating/confirming the opposite.

After living around the world since 2006, I do find TH quite specific in that regard. Quite possibly that local wives are really that charming that earlier [seemingly] clever people start to stop using their brain and retreat to a blatant denial.

I assume you would join local army to fight for the current junta regime, as the occasion arises?

I will repeat something I said on another stream. It comes from a George Bernard Shaw poster that I have in my office. It goes something like this - there are millions of people blaming their circumstances for whatever. I don't believe in circumstances. I believe in the people who stand up and look for the circumstances that they want, and then make them happen. (That's to some degree paraphrasing the quote.) I came to Thailand with that concept in the back of my mind and don't regret it. MY choice. There is a pleasure and beauty with living in Thailand. There are even short comings with living in Thailand. So be it.

I live in Chiang Mai. There are many places that I can go to and commiserate with nay sayer's. I even look at the daily issues' of politics in the US and around the world. After awhile it becomes self evident. Do I want to be happy or do I want to exist in a vile world in which everything is wrong. For me I don't want to live in a vile world in which everything is wrong. I'm sick and tired of those who want o focus on the vile and not take the time to appreciate the fact that they are alive and that they have the choice to be happy, wherever and whenever the want to. Everyone makes their own choice, irrespective of whatever truth may be.

Appreciate your constructive input, thank you.

bill kip wrote:

I will repeat something I said on another stream. It comes from a George Bernard Shaw poster that I have in my office. It goes something like this - there are millions of people blaming their circumstances for whatever. I don't believe in circumstances. I believe in the people who stand up and look for the circumstances that they want, and then make them happen. (That's to some degree paraphrasing the quote.) I came to Thailand with that concept in the back of my mind and don't regret it. MY choice.

There is only one way to create a tree of branching possibilities as close to the reality as possible. By deconstructing the reality into the basic truths. So far the mankind did not create / come up with a more viable methodology / concept / theory / approach / philosophy of changing our own future, to which some refer as to "circumstances". All these "circumstances" are the product of our own thinking.

My purpose of coming to Thailand was to expand my possibilities through extensive self learning and practicing. When done right, it is a great place to do that. But one should always

"Be mindful of your surroundings"

Every significant achievement could be made through patience. Maybe I need to develop even deeper patience. That is a matter of time and practice. I keep paying my time and doing practice.

There is no point in trying to understand the locals. But I have learned to accept whatever outcome would be.

Still, I must admit that there were not a single issue that I have faced which I could not resolve. Each issue had its "price" though. Others are better to be avoided. [my personal decision]

bill kip wrote:

There is a pleasure and beauty with living in Thailand. There are even short comings with living in Thailand. So be it.

Totally agree. That is true. Just like anywhere else in this world. Our journey is what matters. Everyone has their own journey.

bill kip wrote:

I live in Chiang Mai. There are many places that I can go to and commiserate with nay sayer's. I even look at the daily issues' of politics in the US and around the world. After awhile it becomes self evident. Do I want to be happy or do I want to exist in a vile world in which everything is wrong. For me I don't want to live in a vile world in which everything is wrong. I'm sick and tired of those who want o focus on the vile and not take the time to appreciate the fact that they are alive and that they have the choice to be happy, wherever and whenever the want to. Everyone makes their own choice, irrespective of whatever truth may be.

Did not want to appear as a "nay sayer". [neither am I a "yea sayer"] What I am after is the truth. It is neutral. How it is perceived is personal by every reader. If there were emotions between my lines, I need to practice writing more neutrally. Without knowing the truth, it is easy to get into trouble.

Mark Twain wrote:

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

Some looking for "happiness" (there are widely differences in each person's definition of such). Others are looking for peace.

There are not so many looking for truth out there, isn't it? Even though none of the above could be really achieved without the deep knowledge of truth. Since there are very few looking for truth, I have accepted my solitude. My choice.

Whether to accept the truth of just directly attempt to find the happiness or peace is "up to you" or "to them".

There is no "perfect place" in the world. There is no "paradise". Nothing close to it. I suppose many (myself included) made mistakes (in TH) during the first time [years] by having expectations out of the appearance of Thailand which may look "familiar". Roads here look organized, but these are not much so. Or, at least, not the way we (coming from a westernized civilization) have got used to. Same goes with banks, insurance companies, institutions, subcontractors and so further.

Some people say learning language helps to gain greater acceptance. However, it might be more difficult to accept the local way(s) of doing things. I just keep doing "my thing". Quietly. With as low interactions as possible and/or through "proxies".

After many searches, I keep returning to Chiang Mai. This is illogical, but I have no explanation for that. There is something incomprehensible in these mountains here.

More ranting. I've passed this forum link around the office and nobody seems to understand what you talking about??? If you have complaints, can you list them and I will try to argue my point??

ALXZ

Are you a RIPER? Try re reading your own text and look at it from a different view point. Myself and I think others see more of your negative comments rather then them being objective observations.

Somewhat recently a man was telling me a story about Thailand. He said he had some friends visiting from France. They said what is different about Thailand. This must have happened in a small village area. He gave each an apple and a small bunch of flowers. He said go to any house and give them to the person in the house. After the Thai's accepted the simple gifts they invited the French people into the house, fixed them a meal and introduced them to the entire family. Putting everything else aside - that is the heart of Thai people. That is why so many Farang's come to Thailand.

I think you need to proof read your posting and ask yourself which comment is an objective statement and which is negative venting. I have my own share of venting, but I have to let it go and simply enjoy. Speaking of which, try simply enjoying the Thai's, instead of trying to analyze them (relative to one of your statements).

You both are obvious. Basic semantics analysis and your behavioral patterns reveal yourselves as being part of this BS system or "business" called online forums. It is a [SEA] regional phenomena first adopted by Thaivisa.com and stretched to the high scale of "success".

Let me clarify an objective observation exclusively for you.

When someone speaks the truth on such a forum, a local "authority" [with significant post counts] arises in order to dismiss it by calling it "nonsense" or BS or whatnot with zero counter arguments, except for presenting their claims of significant amount of years in business or being a "wiser" "smarter" whatever expat or whatnot (unverifiable by an observer).

Then there are other parties [with more significant post counts] who come up and "catch up" on the conversation with cloudy remarks [and cheap stories] protecting the country [and/or nation] in question, still with zero counter facts or arguments. These posts may as well attract "likes" to show how "valued" these posts are (e.g. teamwork).

Just sit back and take notice.

So far I have been called in this very thread as one who is (denial, dismission):

* whinning
* a nay-sayer
* blaming the circumstances
* ranting

and my favorite (projection):

* exists in a vile world

It is called psychological projection. Thank you for revealing your true self. Publicly.

bill kip wrote:

Everyone makes their own choice, irrespective of whatever truth may be.

Everyone who uses their head for thinking, makes their own choice absolutely respective of what truth really is.

Still, none of you have delivered any proof / counter claims of "nonsense" which was initially addressed to what username "neveragain" has declared earlier, neither has any of you addressed any single point of the detailed socioeconomic complications for a white foreigner [due to the complexion] which I have listed from a to z based on my personal experience alone (e.g. 26 total).

Enjoy your paid posts in your "office", new Thai brothers.

I have no intent of continuing "communication" with the trolls being on payroll.

What you do [i.e. an organized effort] against your own race considering the real life TH environment and "customs" towards [e.g. against] white foreigners by misinforming/misleading fellow expats is above immoral. It is outright disgusting.

For those interested in more details I would suggest googling <Thai visa owner>. There are still some other people who try to copy paste and adopt the "business concept" on other forums such as witnessed above.

Some people seem to revel in their ability to render laundry lists of what they perceive as negatives in Thailand or elsewhere.  I guess they think that elevates them above others who they consider unable to see what they see.  While I make no effort to change these people, I do make every effort to avoid them and their toxic attitudes when I can.

Another thing I have noticed is a tendency for people to take their rather limited experience, or something they read, and proceed to make declarations about what they see as the truth.  Even reporting the facts of specific events should not lead one to believe that the same thing will happen to everyone.

I am often reluctant to relate specifics of my amazing 40 years in Thailand, not just because many would not believe my accounts, or understand them, but because I freely acknowledge I am a bit of an exception in that my life could not be replicated in this modern era.  My very positive life experience in Thailand is no more predictive of what one will encounter in Thailand than the individual who experiences something very different or less wonderful.

Since I moved here pre internet, I am biased toward a more self-reliant and adventurous approach to life and sometimes wonder if people aren't too dependent and distracted by all the noise on the internet.  I suggest reading posts, both positive and negative, as personal accounts of what is perhaps possible but by no means representative or predictive.

Now we have conspiracy theories. Sigh. As I was addressing neveragain...I will respond:

Lawyers are one of the worst as they tell you what they think you want to hear and when you catch them out just smile and utter the same old "This is not a problem phrase". Never trust a lawyer as BBC reporter Jonathan Head who is going through a case out there now in Phucket will confirm. Lawyers are in it for the money only and one of ours even sold our documents to the other side, so beware.

Like any country, finding a decent lawyer is key. I have consulted a lawyer for a free consultation just once in Thailand (never had occasion to need one on a regular basis, as I prefer to keep a low profile) and he answered my questions clearly and concisely. I never noticed any of the above.

The place is going down hill fast at this time a military government who sized power in 2014 is running it into the ground and things change for the worse by the hour.

Look at Thai history, there has been a mixture of military and elected governments for decades. This one is nothing different.

To live there you have to be mad or a pervert, They will sell you an Elite visa for upwards of 10K but its not worth the paper its written on as they can cancel it at any-time. Other visa's see you running to the border every 90 days to pay again to live there. They even want to know what you do where you go and what social media you use in the 90 day
report you have to do.

WTF has the elite card got to do with anything??? If you can't afford it, get a job with a work permit and you can stay as long as you like. After 3 years on the same work permit, you can apply for residency. If you want to retire get a non-O visa and retirement extension.
Your "mad or pervert" comment is just pure drivel.
The visa with the "90 day border run" are for people that don't have a job or don't qualify for a retirement visa, so you are basically doing something illegal, which isn't tolerated in any country.

Put money in a Thai bank then if you leave try taking it with you.

Again, utter nonsense. I've moved money in and out of Thai banks since 1992 and never had any problems. Neither has anyone that I have known over the last 25 years.

Buying a house you cannot Thai wife can with your money then she can kick you out and move in the old boyfriend and there is nothing you can do about it before they kick you out of the country penniless.

More nonsense. If you have paid for a house and are legally married, you can claim 50% of the value of the house and property in the event of a divorce. Again, get a good lawyer, there are plenty about. If you are having "old boyfriend issues, then suggest you stay away from relationships with prostitutes.

Condo you can buy but only if the rest of the building is 51% owned by Thais, again watch out for the thai wife and here boyfriend as you may find yourself flying over the balcony or committing suicide as 3 have this very week and it happens every week in Thailand. us Farangs seem to go there to die.

Yes, this old chestnut! Again, avoid prostitutes.

Buy any thing off a thai make sure you get it documented as what happened this morning will happen to you. Thai sells his car via facebook then with a spare set of keys goes to buyers house and steels it back overnight.

I don't even understand this one

I could go on but it will take all day. Any expat who lives there will confirm above unless they also have taken up the Thai education of best to lie than tell the truth.

In fact I don't know of any expat that will agree with you. Then again, I don't live in Pattaya. drink beer for breakfast and spend every day in a bar whining about how Thais screw me over.

I love the country and many of my Thai friends there who are straight, but far to many are corrupt just like the most inept corrupt police force in the world The BIB.

"I love the country", yes, that's very clear.

If you are from the western or Pacific Countries, it's best not to move any of your stuff to Thailand especially if you are not send here by your parent company back home. Your stuff being shipped here will go through customs and all the red tape.

Most expats shipped out their stuff from Thailand after spending time here and it can be a 20' or 40' container.

As for other countries that are near to Thailand, then handcarry stuff can be move here whenever you go home as journey is short.

Since Thailand has import duties thus one knows what to buy from overseas and bring into Thailand as it's personal use.

Hong Kong and Singapore does not have import duties. Foreigners can claim full GST (VAT)  tax upon departure at Singapore airport without any deductions like Thailand.

You get cheaper price in Hong Kong and Singapore for items that are imported into Thailand.

Rejoice there is no tax and duty on used household goods and personal effects in Thailand if you have a work permit. Same for Singapore, you need to apply for an employment  pass or VAT will apply.