Moving to PR in 3 years

Hello, i was born in PA but I grew up in PR until the age of 7. My parents then moved back to the states and I have been here since. I do visit the island every single year. I love it there and I'm ready to make a move in three years. I have however applied for jobs online and nothing. I am in the finance industry. I know the pay will not b the same however I know that with a vehicle and a job I can make it. Does anyone have any idea on a different way to apply for jobs from the US? I apply thru Indeed and the Banks websites. They post that they are hirring but nothing. Any suggestions will help Thank you.

Your best bet might be with a gov/federal job if you're going to make the move out here.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your advise

Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico.
Jobs are hard to find even for locals that have A degree and are bilingual. Unemployment is around 15%, compared to the US where it is 4.3%.
The only way I know of getting a job before coming to the island is to get a job by applying online, maybe with a federal agency, the other is to get a US job that lets you work remotely 100% of the time.

Assuming you are fluent in Spanish? In general, what kind of finance/industry background?

Hi! I am bilingual , I am currently a commercial credit Analyst , however I have been in the Banking field for over 15 years. I have managed a financial institution, I have worked With the residential side as well ,  mainly in the lending field.

Then all I can do is wish you luck.
Maybe try some of the companies providing Act 20 Y 22 advice and investment advice?
Maybe you could join the Federal Control board team?

Good advise to consider thank you.

Hi.   We are in the works of making the move in July.  My husband has a great resume and has applied for many jobs through Indeed, directly through companies, and has really networked through LinkedIn.  He has been able to make great connections, but no job offers either.  He was told by a few recruiters and managers that when hiring distance is one of the top considerations, which almost cancels him out of the running since we are in NJ.  They told him to apply as soon as we get to PR.  Thankfully, I will be working remotely with current company so we'll have income until he finds something.

Since you are planning to move in 3 years, something you can do is apply for work in a company in the states that also has presence in PR and ask for a relocation.  Or find work with company that will allow you to work remotely.  Take advantage and drop off your resume in person when visiting PR.  It is what we are going to do when we go in May (will be house hunting).

Wish you all the best. 

Margie

Unsurprisingly, the banking sector in PR has been suffering for at least a decade. There have been several FDIC takeovers and forced mergers. Several have been or are barely operational. Employment in this sector has decreased. You will need a connection to get hired. See my comment on another thread, "El que tiene padrino se bautiza."

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but at least 9 out of 10 people who move to PR without already having a job will fail to find one post-move. Unless you have a source of wealth independent of a regular job, you will be financially ruined.

Hello NomadLawer, I understand. I would never move out there with out first finding a job. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for your thoughts