Transporting pets using Amerijet

I'm relocating to San Juan for work and am considering shipping my dogs via Amerijet. Has anyone else used this service? Thanks!

Did you use them? How was it?

I tried but couldn't use Amerijet.  Their flights take off at midnight from Miami - S.J. There are no civilian flights on AA or any other airline at that hour. So, the owner cannot sync a flight with the  animal's. Essentially, you need 2 people, one on each end: one to drop off, and one to pickup. Amerijet offers no wiggle room for the owner who takes a red eye flight; they want the dog collected around 3 AM when the flight arrives in S.J.

So, I continue to default to American Airlines. Dog flies on the same plane in pressurized cargo area for $200. Just try to fly at night when it's cooler (avoid the dead of summer) and things will be OK on AA.

American Airlines doesn't let you do it unless you're military - according to their site.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/spe … e/pets.jsp

Has this changed? Has anyone successfully shipped a pet as cargo with American and not been Military?

We shipped our dogs from Miami to San Juan using Air Animal. They did a great job and both arrived safely.
They use Amerijet and they were good to work with too.

Air Animal is $3675 for Miami to Puerto Rico .. did you pay such high rates for your dogs?

I would rather book direct with Amerijet, not sure the total cost yet but hopefully less.

You need to try Ebeneezer. The rates being quoted are usurious.

On January 12, we flew from Miami to San Juan on American Airlines. Our puppy cost $550 in cargo. Unfortunately, he had grown too big to fit under the seat. We started out in Tucson, but AA had staff issues so we couldn't fly our puppy from there with them and had to take Alaska Airlines to Miami. Alaska was much cheaper and easier to deal with, but they don't fly to Puerto Rico.   :)

Wow, no it wasn't near that expensive!? I think we paid 1,000 per dog when we did it 6 months ago.

I just plugged numbers into the website and got the $3k number. Yeah $1k for 2 dogs seems much more reasonable, I would pay it for good service.

So, American Airlines says clearly on their website they cannot transport large dogs in cargo unless you are military, but you're saying on January 2022 you were able to do this? I will try calling them and figuring out if this is still possible.

Delta may be the same way, they have direct flights from Atlanta to San Juan, the online chat agent said "Yes" but https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/catalo … electedId= clearly says there is a Covid Embargo on such shipments...  maybe the reality is that Delta also allows this.

United would be my first pick, they also SAY they have an embargo. Guess I'll be calling them too.

Each time the hold is 1-3 hours. Sighhhhh

For those seeking the specific embargo restrictions as stated on websites

American Airlines: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/spe … e/pets.jsp
"We only accept checked pets at the ticket counter for active-duty U.S. Military and U.S. State Department Foreign Service personnel traveling on official orders. Fees and restrictions apply."

Delta: https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/catalo … electedId=
"On March 20, 2020, Delta Cargo announced a temporary embargo on pet shipments (globally) and live animal shipments (to/from and through Europe and the U.K.) in response to COVID-19 related flight schedule changes. Effective April 1 and until further notice, the pet embargo applies to all pets transported in cargo throughout the domestic and international network, with the following exceptions:
- To make a U.S. Military or Diplomat booking, please contact the Delta Cargo Customer Service Center."

Spirit: https://customersupport.spirit.com/en-u … e/KA-01181
Important guidelines when bringing your pet:
Spirit Airlines does not require a health certificate for pets traveling with guests in the aircraft cabin, except for Guests traveling to USVI.
Spirit Airlines does require a rabies vaccination certificate for pets traveling with guests in the aircraft cabin to Puerto Rico.
Spirit only allows small domestic dogs, domestic cats, small household birds and small domestic rabbits on the aircraft. 
Birds are not allowed to and from cities in Puerto Rico or the U.S.V.I.
Exotic pets such as snakes, spiders, rodents, etc. will not be accepted.
A maximum of 2 pets per container is permitted, but only one container per guest is allowed.
Animals must be able to stand upright and move about comfortably in the container.
Animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the flight.
The pet should be at least eight (8) weeks old and fully weaned.
The animal must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless, and require no attention during the flight.
If the animal becomes offensive or causes a disturbance prior to leaving the gate; it will be removed.
The pet cannot be ill, violent, or in physical distress.
Advance notice is recommended but not required.
You may choose to sit anywhere you wish with the exception of the first row and emergency exit rows.
The combined weight of the pet and carrier may not exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg).

Pets in Cargo Compartment
Spirit Airlines does not transport pets in Cargo at any time.

United: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr … tsafe.html
Effective March 25, 2020 and until further notice, we are suspending all PetSafe reservations.
Note: Members of the U.S. Military on current Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, and State Department Foreign Service Personnel (FSP) on current reassignment are permitted to transport their personal pets (dogs and cats only) as checked baggage on United flights between Guam (GUM) and Honolulu (HNL) only under specific conditions. Connections on United flights outside of GUM or HNL are not available.

-------
I'm on the phone with Spirit now. They are looking for an exception to the 40 lbs rule, apparently he can stay in the cabin with me if he's under 40 lbs. Exceptions may be made for emotional support animals.

@Food Forester -- can you detail specifically how you got your pup on Cargo with American Airlines? Like did you do it through the website, or over the phone, or on person? Please be as detailed as possible to help us out!

My person on Spirit customer service said exceptions *might* be made at the airport for an additional fee, and gave me the number to the Spirit office/counter at Miami airport, 305-876-7000

Trained Service Animals number 855-787-2227
Emotional Support Animal number: No direct line, ask to be transferred internal. They said requirements recently changed on Jan 11 2021, where they can travel IF they pass qualifications for regular pets and a $110 fee each way. Must be in a pet carrier under the seat and under 40 lbs. No exceptions. So, Spirit cannot help me it seems.

I've spent $0 and flown with my dog twice a month for the last year.

@Charlie AI
much less;
from san juan to miami, it's between 500 to 700 for a large to x large kennel - i was quoted recently
they also leave san juan at 8 pm tuesdays to fridays. drop off is 3 pm
ware house is not AC'd but am told it's ventilated...there is no AC'd moving vans to the plane for Amerijet or AA Cargo.
the 85F restriction for AA Cargo is the temperature on the tarmac, not in the plane. So i do not understand why they just don't get a AC van and ship all year round. For the $$ they charge, I can't imagine a small AC van being used for a short time from warehouse to plane is that much of an expense to the company
@FoodForester
how was the AA cargo experience? I find them confusing to navigate...have to contact them 10 days in advance to find out if there are any planes that can take dogs...if you are offering animal transport, shouldn't all planes have the capacity to take animals...messes up one's plans if there is no flight for my girl when i'm ready to travel
has anyone used Amerijet that can talk about their pet's experience? It's one of my choices
I was able to fly from MIA to SJU in august 2020 with our 2 cats in the cabin with JetBlue I think I paid $125 each & then had to have them microchipped & rabies vaccinated from our vet with a health certificate that no one even looked at. I've seen people with dogs on previous flights but not sure what's changed since the emotional support animals changed. I also believe that certain months when it's really hot no one will ship any animal cargo starts in May?