Loiza or Luquillo?

I find that the areas around here have some appeal to me, but didn't get to spend much time searching last time down.
I'll be looking for a casa w/ security gate and some amenities near beach. If anybody is familiar with the two areas and can describe some pros and cons for neighborhoods I'd be grateful. Not too concerned with highway access being close by, but near shopping.
Thanks

I would not recommend Loiza for an expat to live, too much crime. Also some of the areas are having flood issues from sea water.
Luquillo and Fajardo are good, have nice condos and houses in gated areas.
I would not live in a gated area but mainlanders tend to like them.

Where else have you looked?

@Rey - That's too bad about Loiza. Is it questionable at the beach there as well?

@FR - At different times, Cabo Rojo, Villalba, Orocovis, Ponce, Guayama, Playa Santa
Mayaguez, Rincon and Culbera & Vieques.

I am wanting to continue business efforts (while semi-retired?), so I need to be proximal to a population center and close to SJU and also the beach. Don't mind a walk there or a short drive, but close enough say to drive a golf cart to one for a quick swim.
I also don't want to spend more than $175,000 for a place, so that limits me somewhat.

Depends on the house you want. 175 is plenty depending on what you want.
Loiza is mostly safe during the day to visit, many do visit and party there. Living there is another story.

Frogrock lives in Humacao in a double gated community, but 175 may not get you much there.

I can put you in contact with a realtor friend of mine that can advice you.

You should rent, not buy.

Well, thanks that's thoughtful. I am working with a couple of brokers now, but one more can't hurt.
I am use to living in the country, so a change to a more densely populated area will be an adjustment.
But, I am a water baby and have salt in my veins.

How about buying a boat and live on the boat at a marina?

FR, I have thought about each of those and still have to consider several things.
First, I do not want to move twice and I am so scotch that I do not want to pay storage fees ever again!

Still need to locate a locale even if I am renting, though, so the area is important.

On the boat idea, you are a mind reader. That's a long term goal (2 years tops) once I get everything in place on the dirt. I've already downsized once from 2800 SF to 750, so I need a dwelling to put the crap I've accumulated and is in storage before I live aboard.

You can buy a 750-1000 square feet home in many places for 80 K.

Put your stuff in storage where you live now.  Get the boat.  Over time, you will see what stuff you really miss and dump the rest.  The shipping will be cheaper and you have bought time to look around and see where you really want to live.