Just signed our lease! Anyone ship a container from the US recently?

We have come to terms with the fact that it's going to take some time to buy a home here so we signed a lease yesterday. I've done a fair amounting of searching through old posts about shipping household goods to PR and the companies mentioned most seem to be UPACK and Rosa Del Monte.

We're moving from Los Angeles to Aguadilla and want to use a 40ft standard height container. I've reached out to several shipping companies for quotes but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any recent experience they'd like to share.

Hi! I moved from MD to PR in 2020. I used UPACK and I recommend it 100%. I bought some land in Manati (Mar Chiquita beach area) to build a house, but in the meantime, I'm renting a house by the beach in Barceloneta. My rent is ridiculously low, so that has given me a lot of flexibility in terms of the time it will take to build my home.

Hope this helps!

We live in cabo rojo and looking to downsize. What are you looking for in a house?

Weather in PR is very humid…. Pick what you pack and ship carefully. Metallic things rust quickly, I'm told termites even attack furniture.

Be very cautious with La Rosa del Monte they totally misquoted time for our boxes to arrive. Told 2-5 weeks turned into 9 with one box showing up 4 months later. Call the PR office & see if time matches what the one shipping from says.

We used UPack (multiple Pods), it was very inexpensive and timely. They quoted 4 weeks to the day from MD to PR. Items were intact and no issues. The problem came when we had to get local movers. Prices were outrageous and we determined that's because they knew the final location - upper class area. Essentially, they attempted to charge upwards of 5K to unload 4 (8x7x6) containers. We had to keep searching and eventually found reasonably priced movers - but just be mindful the costs could come at the back end.

Just helped my mother use UPack from FL to PR and highly recommend it.  Unfortunately their trailers are not as long as a connex box, but I think they're taller.  Also we used the minimum space - she took some possessions but not much furniture, because they have furniture in PR.  Gave her a chance to start over and redecorate anyway.

We ended up going with UPACK and reserved a 28' trailer, I'm glad to hear others have had good experiences with them!

@ChristianTownsend we just used UPack and it arrived in about 3 weeks. It was easy. I agree with the comment that it's harder to find movers who won't charge ridiculous rates to unload. We had only one pod and downsized quite a bit before moving.

Just start looking a little earlier than we did for movers. And you may need to call Upack a few times to make sure they're on it with scheduling your delivery and handling the paperwork.

@ChristianTownsend I'd add Three Movers to the mix of the companies you mentioned. We've used them before to ship a container from the U.S. and they came in somewhat cheaper than the others we looked at (everything arrived in good condition). Congrats on making the big move! Very exciting.

@ChristianTownsend if you are military retiree Upack gives discount! The other companies might also.

Our UPack container arrives tomorrow and we leave for PR on the 28th.
I suggest reading ALL the small print.  We had our credit card stolen and had to change our billing info so I clicked on the link provided to change info. For U Pack and found documents we were not provided with in any emails we were sent.  Info like helpful numbers and providing a list of contents for the clerk in PR.
We did, however, have the absolutely BEST customer service rep (Erica) when we had questions.

Hope everything goes as smooth as others experience.
@Maryeb5762
Good to know. Thanks!
Has anyone shipped a vehicle to PR 🇵🇷? Any information would be very helpful and much appreciated.

We used UPack (multiple Pods), it was very inexpensive and timely. They quoted 4 weeks to the day from MD to PR. Items were intact and no issues. The problem came when we had to get local movers. Prices were outrageous and we determined that's because they knew the final location - upper class area. Essentially, they attempted to charge upwards of 5K to unload 4 (8x7x6) containers. We had to keep searching and eventually found reasonably priced movers - but just be mindful the costs could come at the back end.
-@tinatrenet

Thank you Tina  for the information. Can you share the moving company contact? We will be moving furniture from a Florida

thank you so much

@lenausa89

Please see below:

www.upack.com

800-240-7422   

Once you ship the PODs, you'll be contacted by the PR customs release team who will walk you through the paperwork needed to retrieve the items.

All the best!

Tina