Finding a job in Germany

frombombay :

No its not true,cannot generalise from some people experiences,as i told you before not 1 or 2 there are hundreds of people i seen recently who got job after coming on job seekers visa in germany with very little or even no knowledge of germany,offcourse not all can be lucky so one takes risk leaving existing job,time,money ,efforts,one has to calculate risk and in situation to face this challenges and backout plan also required if not successful

Again, your English is so bad that it is hard to guess what you mean. But you are delusional if you think people are going to get a job seekers visa from India and then get a job bartending in Germany. One has to have high level skills to even get the job seeker visa and bartending is not one of them. And yes, there are some exceptions where say IT people might get a job without good German language skills but the point is that they will have MUCH more chance if they do speak German. And if such a person doesn’t even speak English well, and little to no German, then they are going to find it nearly impossible. This is not an over generalization whether you want to believe it or not.

juan plazas :

I am Colombian, Professional in International Business Management, fluent in English, native Spanish speaker and I currently have German classes A2 in the Goethe Institut, I currently live in Colombia, I have previous experience of a little more than a year working for Toyota as Intern and some other short projects. How are my chances to find a job in Germany from abroad? which is the better way to do it?, how can I apply and where?

I guess you need to first define what jobs you are actually looking for. In most but not all business management settings, as opposed to working on a assembly line, one would probably need a B2 or C1 German level. These are much more advanced than an A2 level. If you are say a renowned professor then maybe you might find an academic position say at a University as a guest professor where they might be interested in someone using English or even Spanish. I would use Google to research which educational institutions might be suitable. Otherwise, there are a number of websites for job offers like Indeed.de, jobware.de, monster.de and one might find jobs where other languages are OK although one more often sees this for IT and high tech.

Juan: You need to focus on jobs that no or few Europeans can do, because a potential employer must justify why they want to hire you - and not a suitably skilled EI citizen.
From your short post I cannot tell what kind of roles that would be, but you can maybe find out by doing some of your own research.
Also, a job search is probably easier if you are already in the country. So you may want to consider coming here on a job seeker visa, or attend a language class on student visa first.
Good luck!

beppi :

Juan: You need to focus on jobs that no or few Europeans can do, because a potential employer must justify why they want to hire you - and not a suitably skilled EI citizen.
From your short post I cannot tell what kind of roles that would be, but you can maybe find out by doing some of your own research.
Also, a job search is probably easier if you are already in the country. So you may want to consider coming here on a job seeker visa, or attend a language class on student visa first.
Good luck!

It’s been widely reported that the German laws requiring a business to prove an EU citizen could not be found for a job before recruiting a non-EU citizen from abroad have been relaxed. But I don’t know the details of what this really means.  The person would still need to get a work permit with assistance of the new employer. So it would be less trouble but still an extra effort for a business to hire such a person. And the question becomes; why should they bother? Are they having skills not easily found or perhaps willing to do a job for much cheaper?

I am interested in working for Marketing positions. But I think it is interesting the academic opportunities, how can search for it? I mean, you said google but should it be something like ''academic positions Germany''?? or something like that, or what institutions could be good to search for?

Thank you for your reply.

first of all, thank you for your reply

when you say short post what do you mean? maybe I should give some more information about my situation. I am currently taking German classes in the Goethe Institut, I am in A2 but in two months I will start B1. I have previous experience as an intern in Toyota working 6 months in the financial division and 6 months in the imports divisions. Later I command a sales project for one month in a call center, I had 6 people under my leadership. and Finally, I worked for 2 months for a Publicity agency as a Purchasing analyst. I currently speak Spanish native level, English C1, French B1. And having German classes. I am interested to work in the Marketing division but I don't have any problem to work in any of the areas I have previously worked for. What would you recommend me in terms of doing something other Europeans can't do?

Juan: We are not going to find the right search keywords for YOUR jobserach, nor can we tell you which of YOUR skills might be valuable for such a search. That is up to YOU to figure out.
Resourcefulness is a precondition for a successful search!
But I can tell you that reading related discussions on this forum, which contacin lots of good advice for job search in Germany, is not a bad start.

Hello great insights on this thread, not sure if any past info already answers my questions.

New to Düsseldorf, Advertising, Marketing and a MFA in Graphic/Environmental Design. I have a slight dilemma, I am trying to integrate to make my job search easier so I am taking German classes in the mornings.
About web search:
- Could you please give me some insights, and websites thats specific to find contract and remote jobs or maybe companies well known to hire part time? (tried Craigslist found funny things like guys asking to have sugar mommies under the Creative section :-D

- Is there also a good site to find salary information? A lot of the job applications needs your salary requirements, and I'm a bit lost comparing what I made in the USA.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Craigslist does not work in Germany.
For classified ads Quoka and Ebay Kleinanzeigen are the best.
But for jobs better look for Stepstone, Indeed and similar sites.
If you want to become a freelancer (does your visa allow that and are you able to fulfill the formal and buerocratic requirements?), it is more difficult and nothing replaces connections and a good network. But you can also try freelance.de or freelance-market.de.
Salary is a touchy subject in Germany and there is little information available online. There are sites like gehalt.de or gehaltsvergleich.com, but the quality of the data is variable.

Thank you for the response.
Yes I have a permit to work. Is Freelance is different here than the US? In the US you just have to declare how much you made when doing taxes, but not have a special permit to freelance.

Could you explain a little more why salary is "touchy".

I had asked one company to make me an offer and they disappeared, when I researched and gave a salary to another company, they said they had only a certain budget then they disappeared...do or don't give salary seem not to be helping.

In Germany, you can only be "Freiberufler" (=freelancer) in certain professions - and even there you have to follow accounting and tax reporting standards and above a certain (low) turnover get a value added tax (MWSt) number.
In all other professions you need to register a business (which means more buerocracy) and some even need special permits.

Salary is not a topic to be discussed in public in Germany. Even for my best friends and direct colleagues, I don't know what they earn - and that is normal. Many employment contracts specify that pay cannot be disclosed to anyone (unless legally required to, e.g. to tax authorities). Therefore most people are hesitant to give this information even in anonymous surveys.

I am dealing with freelancers and self-employed often in my work (not your industry, though). In most cases, we only engage those that we know and have a long-standing relationship with (and often a framework contract that specifies hourly rates, among other things). What rate you offer depends on market standards and the customer's budget - this is always a difficult issue!

Do you stay in Germany?

Hi,
Hope you are doing well. I noticed a thread in which you spoke about getting a job in Germany. I have currently moved to Reutlingen, Germany since Feb 2019 & I have been actively looking for job. I am a Masters Graduate in Marketing from the University of Birmingham & I have been learning German as well (learning B1 level as of now). I have been trying to apply for jobs in the job forum & according personalising each CV with my very own cover letter (in English). I was wondering if you have any idea about what are the requirements to find a Marketing job in Germany, as I am struggling & haven't received a single phone call but I received lots of rejections. Would you have any advice on how I should go about finding a job or are there any requirements I have missed out on
Any advice or options would be very helpful for me.

thanks

There are no standard requirements for finding a job in Germany - it all depends on the individual needs and wants of each employer.
But I believe that especially in Marketing, which requires a very good understanding of the customers' expectations is a must - and those are inevitaly in German. Thus B1 level (and a cover letter in English) might not be favourable.

Thank you for your help, will put in the efforts to work on my German :)

Unfortunately, a lot of attention is paid to your professional experience. And not what your strengths, hobbies and passion are ...

I recently came across this page and thought it might be helpful for those who are looking for a job in Germany:
https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/