Finding a job in Germany

AnishS wrote:

Is it possible to work in Germany having a Spouse or family reunion VISA.

Check her passport or associated documents she received - it must be written there. Most family reunion visa allow work.

Hi,

I also have Msc. Degree in Technology. Came here on Job Seeker Visa. What should I do? How to find a job and accommodation?

How to find jobs and accommodation in Germany are among the most discussed topics here, and lots of good advice can be found by searching the forum and reading existing threads.
If after that you still have specific questions that were not addressed before, please feel free to come back and post them here.

In need of guidance. Let me tell my story.

I'm from Brazil - this site has a board for Brazilian expats in Germany, but it seems to be a ghost town, so I hope I'll be welcomed here. Since I did not qualify for any public Higher Education programs here in Brazil, all I could afford were 20 college credits spread through a year, and while I have minor expertise in the area of the course, my career focus has changed significantly ever since.

As I said in the introduction thread, I am a freelance comic book professional. I can make a moderate living with it here - but since 9 to 5 jobs in this area aren't a thing and I'll need a regular day job to secure a residency visa in Germany, there comes my doubt.

As far as my research goes, Brazilians are allowed to stay in Germany for three months and look for a job. I know now, from reading you guy's testimonies, that this search can be tough, but what if you're not picky?

Despite the lack of a higher education, German is going to be my fourth language (currently at A1 level). I've worked retail, call center, even cleaning... Would my chances be better in a big city or small? Am I being too delusional?

Thanks in advance!

Hi PLoupee,

Welcome to the forum!
It is not clear from your post which area or industry you intend to work in.
Since there are many unemployed EU citizens (who have to be hired first, by law) available for unskilled jobs like the retail, call center and cleaning you mentioned, this is not an option for you (besides occasional, badly paid side jobs that won't give you a visa).
I have no idea about the comic book business (in case you want to remain there) - but in general artistic fields work by special rules (and engage a lot of freelancers). Contact a few publishers to test the waters!
Regarding the location (big/small city), don't be picky and keep the options open to maximize your chances.
And, in any case, have a plan B in case your three months visit ends without any option in hand.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your help, Beppi!

I've researched a little better an there is a visa for freelance artists (the self-employed visa). Though it's not easy to get, I think it's the best call for me. I will contact comic companies and other freelancers from the area in Germany. Once again, thank you!

Hello An, I saw ur message about ur job in the auto field.

Can u explain me what are you doing and how u get the job? is for my husband, we just got here and we are both looking for jobs.

Thank u so much!

Hi Everyone,

Just landed few days back to Frankfurt with Job Seeker Visa.
Now searching on all job portals related to my skills.
Most of the applied jobs got rejected due to German language skill.
But I'm very strong in my technical skills.

Need to survive at least few months here to search suitable job.
Can i get any part time jobs that may help to my expenses.

I'd try looking for jobs that have English speaking (or whatever your native language is) as a requirement, then go study German in order to find something more appropriate for your expertise.

Hi PLoupee,

I agree your comment.
But learning German language in short period is not easy.
I 'm very much interested to learn German. But after getting job i can start learning from any university will try to complete till B1 or B2 for sure.

As you have noticed (although after just a few days I'd say you're overly impatient!), German language skills are the most important factor in finding a job and cannot be easily supplanted by technical skills.
Unfortunately, a JSV does NOT allow work, even part-time or freelance.
PLoupee's advice is good: Enroll in an intensive language class while searching for a job (which will take several months in any case!). This will give a potential employer the good impression that you have a high motivation to improve yourself on the weakest point.

I'm no expert, I'm still working on getting into Germany and I have no idea of how hard or easy it is going to be for you to achieve that. That's just how far as my research goes. Wish you all the best!

You are not allowed to do part time job in Germany on job seeker visa. What are your skills?

Any open positions for the skills Oracle PL/SQL, ETL (DWH) and  UNIX knowledge for English Speaking

Are you using stepstone.de and xing.com?

Yes
LinkedIn.de
Stepstone.de
Xing.de
Indeed.de

Venkates: is there jobs in news papers? or you can do blind visits to companies and drop CVs on reception? Who knows employer plans to hire but still not advertised. And please share what is your expense in a week, Best of luck!!

Zia Sheikh: In Germany Without appointment we will not able to meet any person directly.  First we need to apply from multiple job portals like Stepstone, Monster, LinkedIn and Xing Etc.. Once your CV shortlisted for HR or Technical round then it may be skype/Telephone or direct visit for Interviews. For me few interviews scheduled and attended and waiting for responses after applying more than 100 companies since my German Language Skill is not good. But i will keep on applying because "Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy"

For Expenses, It depends on the money that you spent. For me its 50 to 100 Euros/week excluding  House rent.

Venkates: Thank you for sharing :)
Any suggestion about most wanted jobs area of IT, like developer or networks or security or support etc

I agree with you Completely . I lived in Nordic countries where i did my M.S.C in Logistics Management know the value of not getting a good job with out learning local  language even though you have good degree . Once you can speak German then only you can understand , and probably make more contacts , and i am sure some where or the other the chances of getting a  job  increases . Simply coming on Job seeking visa for 6 months it is very hard enough to find enough to get dream job for NON -EU because Visa is for 6 months , don't know what are the possible chances of extension , but there are lots of if's and but's and one needs a proper calculation before coming over here . 

I wish every one Good Luck .

Hi beppi...
My hubby z  looking for job in accounting field. ..as financial analyst  or accountant  or auditing  or any relevant job...
Am Indian currently residing  in ksa riyadh wiz my hubby.. but he z  looking forward for jobs in Germany ..wiz family visa .. (recently  gave birth to baby girl...just a mnth ago). Due to  increasing  dependent  fees levied  here ..we're planning to  move to some other country. ..
So any advice  ...plzz share

fshan: Based on the very limited information you gave above, I don't know how I can help you.
Regarding job search, this forum already says almost all that can be said (so please tell your husband to read it). You did not tell his (or your) level of German language knowledge, which is the single most important factor.
Also, you did not mention any reason why Germany. In my experience, a move based only on push factors (i.e. why you need to leave KSA) and without a real goal ("some other country") is less likely to be successful.

beppi wrote:

fshan: Based on the very limited information you gave above, I don't know how I can help you.
Regarding job search, this forum already says almost all that can be said (so please tell your husband to read it). You did not tell his (or your) level of German language knowledge, which is the single most important factor.
Also, you did not mention any reason why Germany. In my experience, a move based only on push factors (i.e. why you need to leave KSA) and without a real goal ("some other country") is less likely to be successful.

Neither me ..nor my hubby knows German. ..the only reason to move Germany z coz i heard that cost of living z low there ...so that v can save a bit more ...
Whereas abt  more details ....my hubby has completed  his MBA.. nd experience  for abt approx 6-10 yrs now nd has done plenty of other courses .. (namely SAP. Tally  ..focus wings..etc...)... he completed  3 yrs in ksa as financial analyst . By increasing  expenses nd dependent  fees of me nd my baby ...we're  planning to move to  Germany. ..or any foreign  country ...but most preferably  Germany.
That's y  i wanted to know  ....wil it b easy to find jobs there ..plus wiz family visa of me nd my baby as well as quantitative  salary. ..

This is the first time I hear someone say that living costs are low in Germany. Where did you get that information from?
But in fact a general trend is that more expensive countries give you an even higher pay (on average), so moving to a high cost destination in order to save more (plus enjoying the higher quality of life) is probably right.
But really, you should both study German first to at least B1 level before you try!

Hello here!
I have a friend, a German who owns a small company in Germany. I live in Nigeria. He wants to employ me in his company and he has to take me in to Germany. Please have you any idea of the proceedures to follow? I would sincerely appreciate detailed explanation!
Thanks!

You need to apply for a German work permit (or an EU Blue Card, if you fulfil the requirements).
Contact the German embassy in your country to find out which documents are neded and how to apply!

Oh, thanks!
What does he need to do from his end?

He needs to give yopu a valid employmnt contract, for a job that cannot be filled by an EU citizen instead of you.

Hmmm! Great, thanks for the info! Have got a degree in Business Adminstration and Management (an area in which he needs more expertise) and of course fluent in English. I hope with those credentials I should be considered.

I work remotely online. Has anyone had any issues staying for up to 3 months in Germany as a US citizen? What is the maximum # of months you can stay in Germany at one time with a valid passport?

Amythome:
How long you can stay in Germany does not depend on the passport so much as on the visa.
If you want to do paid work (even of the remote kind, as you indicated), you need to apply for a work permit or freelancer visa beforehand. With that, you can stay for years.

is a visa required if I am just coming as a tourist initially? & not working per se......

You asked about working remotely, for which you need a work permit or freelancer visa, as I mentioned.
If you just want to visit (and not work), you can stay within the Schengen zone up to 90 days (in any 6 months period) without needing a visa.

Hi, there are other job portals also, like kununu, then berlin startups, experteer. try all sites.  all the best brother. let me know how do you find job market for scm functional consultants. I am learning german, around A1 level. willing to go till C1 level, its a long way, but yes I will put 100% effort.

I am an experienced (20+ years) software developer, most of them as Oracle developer (Forms, Reports, PL/SQL and, since 2013, Oracle Apex). I can also express myself a bit in german language because I live in south Brazil which german heritage is strong. However, even with this background, I'm unable to find a job in Germany, be it remote or onsite, because I'm expected to be fluent in german language. Wish I could find a job at Germany but, as long as it doesn't happen, I have to stay here in south Brazil.

Hi Shriharsha,

I am Rajesh from Hyderabad, having 10 years exp in IT, planning to move to Germany on JSV.
at present I am in similar situation as you posted.

I would like to know that did you got JSV, are you in Germany now?
How is the job hunting going on.
Please let me know your experience from the time of you decided to move Germany , it will be help ful to us and great ful to you.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Hi Venkateswaralu,

I am Rajesh from Hyderabad,I am planning to move to Germany through Job seekers Visa.
I am currently working as a senior software engineer with 10 years of experience in technologies SQL Server, SSRS,SSIS, PowerBI,DotNet,C#.

I seen your post that "(Most of the applied jobs got rejected due to German language skill.
But I'm very strong in my technical skills.)"

Could you please let me know is there are chances of getting job if we have A1 level German language .
and how is job market for my skills and can you share your experience in Germany, it will be helpful to us and great full to you.

Thanks,
Rajesh

I am an educator looking for a job. There are several sites that help teachers become employed. What I don't see much of is students with disabilities. Where do I look for positions working with students with special needs? My goal is to have a job before moving to Germany.

There are probably separate application procedures and avenues for special needs schools. You should ask about them at the relevant school authority.
Note: Education matters differ by “Land” (state, of which Germany has 14) and each Land has a “Kultusministerium” (ministry of education), which coordinates teacher deployment through one of its subdivisions.
The local school authority (“Schulamt”) of the town you want to move to will be able to point you in the right direction, even though they don't hire teachers.

Hi Guys,

For being in touch and sharing information about germany can join Germany Expat Group from below link,many members are germany residents

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : External group
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct