Mistakes expats make in Nepal

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Nepal? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Nepal to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

The biggest mistake I made was to stay in Kathmandu. I was always having sinus infections and other illnesses. Not only is it extremely polluted, but it's not a good place to be in case of another earthquake. It's also hotter and muggy in the hotter seasons.

There are many communities that have places to stay, either guest houses or earthquake resistant buildings with furnished flats. Bhaktapur, Kirtipur and other nearby communities up in the hills surrounding Ktm are full of culture and honest people.

A lot of tourists think Pokhara is better, but the roads are so bad and if you need to go to Ktm for something it will cost a lot for the car, unless you want to take a tourist bus. There are many tourists living in Pokhara and they are pretty happy there. Nepal is a wonderful place to move to.

My biggest initial mistakes were thinking the taxi drivers would know where my hotel was in old town Kathmandu (KTM) and not bringing a map as well as  booking a month in KTM and thinking there would be plenty I might like to do there before going to Pokhara. I discovered one week in KTM is more than enough in the monsoon season (or any season really). Otherwise, I researched everything pretty good and made sure I did not follow the usual advice given in guidebooks to not pack too many clothing items as you can buy everything cheap once you get here. Yes, that might be true if you are a skinny backpacker but size xxl and xxxl shirts need to be special ordered and any large size clothing items could be rare. I was VERY happy I brought my one piece long johns with me. The main thing to do is research everything. Especially prices of common goods and familiarize yourself with the scams. I love it here in Pokhara:)

Can you give some advice on prices of common goods. I just moved here and know I am in general being ripped off.

By ripped off I mean paying an exhorbant amount for things...I understand as a foreigner you pay more but I don't want to be paying 300x more

As much as we like to feel generous it's important to not spend too much. It does no one any good, not even the merchant. Say you want an umbrella so you stop on the street near Darbur Square. You pay 500 NRs.  instead of 250-300 normal tourist price. He may start believing it's worth more and then won't lower his price to the market price. He sells 4 umbrellas instead of 30. His monthly loss will be a lot. So it isn't good to do that. We must know the prices and only pay market price.  By the way, if it's raining at the time the value may be 400.

It helps to be friendly and if you are a man it helps to wear a topie (hat). Women merchants in the market usually say way too much or give you a fair price, so are easier to deal with. It also helps to bring a Nepali friend with you, but never agree to pay a commission to your friend. Often, they make an agreement while you are standing there to get a commission, so make sure you know the person. I wrote more tips in my eBook, Nepal: A  Tourist's Manual. It's easy to find.

Thank you for your advice. I had a look at your manual and very interested in your volunteer experience. I am currently in pokhara but would like to go out to more rural areas to volunteer. Would love advice on how to find programs.

Know what you mean by 300x  They will rip you off and for the majority of these ripper-offs, their problem is that they just don't have the common sense or the education or whatever it takes to know where to stop. All I know is that it is not doing them any good - read they are doing themselves harm (but they don't see it)
Until you have been living here for some length of time and the merchants get to know you, problem is that they will pretty systematically charge you "tourist price" and not "nepali price" 
You think 300x is bad. Only a few weeks ago, I cut myself and urgently needed a sterile gauze as I was bleeding. So I stopped off at the nearest Chemist and asked for 3 pieces. Problem was that I was not in my usual neighborhood and badly needed it.  When I asked how much, this ripper-off chemist in Jyatha answered 210 rupees!! Result: I bought only one gauze instead of three and paid this unscrupulous con artist the 70 rupees he asked for.
In my neighborhood where I pay "nepali price", the right and fair price is 10 rupees a gauze.
That's 700x . Will this other guy ever see me again? Never. He'll have to look for some other unsuspecting tourist.
As for the umbrellas, as you say, the right price is 300 rupees. These umbrellas they sell here are not even made in this country. They are all bad china or bad india stuff and 300 rupees is all they are worth. The proof is that they don't last. I know. I've bought a good number already and as one breaks, I go out and replace it at that same price! Oh well...I just pray the rain will stop...!

Opportunity knocks!
You are a foreigner.You 'look' like a foreigner.You are seen as one..''ALL WAYS.''
Poor countries..everywhere see the same opportunity.= Money.Easy pickings.
Being a foreigner..'the Tourist' =No escape.The minute you are seen in the street the 'give away!'..Gawping at everything...from street signs in a foreign language saying Tourists beware of scams,architectural wonder and casually brushing off beggars,street sellers...& stray dogs now surrounding you.The only thing missing is the placard over your head..'Mug me' and that too can happen...whilst you read your 'phrase'  book trying to enjoy the moment.There is no escape for the brief visitor. The walking wallet of opportunity at every step as seen by those who will take advantage..because they can do so..with a smile.From a taxi ride supposedly of 5 mins duration =a day out instead.Arrival with superfluous baggage at the supposed pre booked luxury hotel in reality... now becomes a basic room shared with mosquitos.Yes,they too see opportunity to inflict further pain upon the 'innocent.'as they lie in wait upon the window sill.
New impractical shoes,new ill fitting 'T' shirt..shades...to hide the eyes from the blazing sun.The tourist is in disguise.Wishing to blend in with his natural surroundings.To see,to investigate the local sights.Yet he is the 'sight' really.Smelling of 'deet!'.Even the local birds watch from above ready to swoop down if opportunity beckons.'People watching ' from a street bar.Sanctuary but only briefly.Too many beers later he still has to hail a taxi to return to his hotel or otherwise face the dark streets alone!.Another rupee from the wallet  vanishes like air as the taxi driver disappears smiling.As he thinks''More like you 'Mr Tourist ' and in a few years time he too can maybe walk your streets in your country too...if enough money can be saved for greener supposedly pastures ,..maybe permanently if access is ''allowed.''meanwhile..opportunity continues to knock.
That is the self made agreement,the deal made..if one wishes to sample the delights of another country,then return home to your own country of ''golden opportunity.''
The same typical events are here too.Only difference.no mosquitos.,a colder climate.,and you can understand what the mugger is saying to you fluently.One has a choice. Stay in like a hermit every night .Work like a slave.Save your money..for the opportunity!that is there....the plane ticket etc etc ,the brief holiday looked forward to with anticipation..to get away from it all.The 'grass is not all ways greener on the other side.'' but at least you can fool yourself for awhile it is and smile.

I hear what you say. Cannot  say your are wrong. It's also why a good number of my expat friends have left Nepal for good. The people who leave exit because they just get fed up with many of the antics you describe. I fully realize these phenomena also exist in other asian countries, but I must say nepalis are master crafties....at it. Add the air pollution, cough cough....

yes its prevalent..in every country.including your own without exception but at least you have some in built awareness there.In a foreign country you are at the mercy of the language barrier & not being a local,you can't follow the local alley rat who took advantage of you.if you do follow...you could end up in a worse scenario.Surrounded by other people in the same predicament as yourself wearing a T shirt ,shorts & flip flops,.or just lost!in a street of dark alleys and thousands of eyes watching your camera swinging around your neck.Easy pickings..or worse easy kickings.Hospital accommodation,worse the food..then the bill!Meanwhile your hotel accommodation bill soars and the hotel manager won't make any exception!Do you continue your vacation with a limp,less rupees,flip flop ,covered in bandages like the Mummy or return home .It is so easy for the 'foreigner' to end up in trouble just because..One has to remember all ways..you are in a different culture.Easy to offend if not 'aware.Ignorance is not a good excuse.,as far as 'they' are concerned.There prisons are not like your own,.nor will be there judicial system either and the prison food wills be worse!inside than out.Never mind the probability the prison won't be a 5 star facility.Be even more unfortunate circumstance if..you met the alley rat there too.Serving his sentence in a more comfortable cell than yourself..on the money he stole from you,. and he has joined the kitchen staff serving you your 1 meal a day for the duration of your sentence.Good job you did get your vaccinations required before your 'holiday of a lifetime' adventure.You did get vaccinated' didn't you...If not..your problems now could magnify.There are probably worse alley rats in there than the one who took your wallet in comparison.

When Priscilla entitled the topic "Mistakes expats make in Nepal", and invited our comments, response was very good but I find that your remarks are even better, with your having explored the subject matter in a more detailed way from a nepali point of view. In support of your views then, I therefore propose that this thread should now more appropriately be re-entitled to read: "Mistakes Nepalis make in Nepal". Let's hear more.

Tourist v the locals.
The tourist is seen to be affluent.Because of this,able to explore other countries.Taste their culture,their food,the beer & their enchanting hospitality offered..then return home..to his assumed to be guaranteed for life, luxury struggle free lifestyle.Try to explain the 'truth' to them and the local will still not be convinced.
You ,Mr Tourist being rich,.. can afford to fly anywhere says Mr smiley local!.
The local will only get the brief taste for a flying experience if his motorbike wheel hits a  pot hole! instead of the Tourist aimlessly crossing the road ahead wearing shades,T shirt & flip flops.Mr tourist maybe insured for similar accidental events,and maybe can claim compensation from his local council if he was in his home environment because of.Not so for Mr local now not smiling through his broken teeth.,nursing his wounds that may prevent him from employment for weeks.Sick pay non existent.Mr tourist can retreat to his room and can adamantly request for a better room if he desires.The manager may agree because of obligation.Another room provided with even bigger mosquitoes lined up on the window sill,lying in wait ,for fresh Western blood.Air conditioning provided,a shower,comfy bed with clean sheets.An improvement upon the rip off B & B back home..with bed bugs free of charge.The luxuries in the West seem to now diminish.,and that is only scratching the surface,excuse the pun!!Meanwhile Mr local limps back to his 1 room home to n u r t h  h i t h  w o u n t h s  a t h  t h o o n  a t h   p o t h i b l e and with a permanent lisp.!Mr Tourist can seek dental treatment asap upon arrival back home since he can afford it eventually.Well he must if he wants to travel again in the future with his valid recent passport photo portraying a full set of teeth as before....even false teeth custom made aren't cheap.Unless you like to chomp through corn on the cob taking hours! for the remainder of your toothless days.
Mr Local can only travel on a need to basis.A bus journey might take hours...but at least he is safe.Mr Tourist can wait for a train that all ways arrives late.The extortionate ticket fee still stinging, standing room only on the underground and when he gets off the crowded train 1 wallet lighter!and surrounded by everyone who now because of events looks a suspect and they all speak fluent English with a local accent too.Convincing Mr Local that you are not rich by any means etc..will still be an up hill struggle.If the truth was known,that being at home you are just like him..would passport immigration anywhere then still let you in with such a welcoming smile.You may not be a king in your own country but you can be treated like one elsewhere so enjoy it.
The cheapness of travel to a 'paradise' is well worth the agony & ecstasy. Accept with a smile.Accept that you are more fortunate in many ways just because of fortune.Accept the negative might never occur again.Accept the bike driver with a toothless grin.just hope he avoids the pot holes and the tourist wearing shades cluelessly crossing the road.Mr local might end up with a lisp.Mr tourist might end up flying into a ravine..without a parachute!

you can contact us directly .

Hi-so you like my post(s). humor maybe but serious between the lines.Its really mistakes foreigners make..that can be avoided...in general.One should see it through the locals eyes..not blind!

I have been traveling around for a year and have had no problems.

1. Almost all the locals are nice and honest. Be nice in return. In fact, be nice first, always assuming people will return niceness with niceness.

2. Why be out at night, unless you are out trekking, which is a special situation? In the city, you can do everything in the daytime.

3. Alcohol seems to be the main problem for foreigners. Why drink alcohol in foreign countries? I can drink all I want at home. I travel to see/do different things than are available at home.

It basically comes down to common sense: Be nice, stay inside at night, and wait until you get back to your country to get drunk. These simple rules, along with not flashing cash, dressing modestly, etc. usually result in a safe and fun adventure without needing to be Indiana Jones or Crocodile Dundee to survive.

Not all the tourists are rich. This is a nepali fallacy.
On the other hand, ALL the tourists I know and this not only in Nepal, expect their hosts to treat them with due consideration and above all - RESPECT.

I feel that way too. Why is it in Nepal that they make this great distinction between nepalis and non-nepalis (referred to as bidushis, or second class citizens) ? People should be treated equal and equally, Nepal included.
Just to cite one example: as soon as visitors arrive at the airport, and step on Nepal soil:
1. one line for nepalis, this way
2. another line for NON-nepalis, this other way, and more often than not, wait, wait, wait.
I know that in my country, there is only one line and authorities make no distinction between nationalities at any of our airports. The rules are for everyone - equally.
One can argue that it's a detail, ...ok, but then it's a very revealing detail.
As they say, it's often the first impression that counts the most.

Well to enter Europe, there is a line for EU Citizens, then a line for Non-EU citizens. Where is that different than Nepal ?
Everywhere in the world authorities make distinction between nationalities, because they request different rules for visas applications, depending of you country of origin. Thus the rules are not the same for everyone (unfortunately ...).
Nothing different here in Nepal.

I can only assure you that it's not like that at airports I have been flying in and out over many years like Gdansk or Katowice or again Wroclaw in the EU. I have no way of knowing what they say or do not say at all of the other 3950 airports located in the 28 nation EU bloc, Schengen zone, how can I know? Obviously, you are a better traveled person and therefore have greater amount of information at your fingertips to share with us. Thank you.

I wonder how much of the difference has to do with training and technology. In the USA you need a 4 year university degree to teach even 1st graders. Here, they hire people off the street (the newspapers are currently advertising walk in interviews for the new school year.)

With less education and since they only get paid $150 - $200 per month, it may actually be to our benefit to have the lines broken down into narrower categories so each airport employee can deal with a smaller variety of situations so they can process people faster.

Moniica26, I either don't know what's happening in all these airports.
You said that in your country (France in your profile), there is no distinction in any of the airports between locals and foreigner. As a French also, I can say that this is not true : when you arrive in Paris Charles De Gaulle, there is a line for EU Citizens, and another one for Non-EU Citizens. Which is quite logical, as the rules regarding visas are not the same depending of your nationality.
So I don't find anything wrong when I see the same in other airports, the one of Kathmandu for example.

All I can do is refer you to the clear information previously provided above. Those 3 airports I fly to are all in Poland, not talking about France. Besides, CDG is just one of 3950 OTHER airports in the Schengen area. It's a long way to Tipperary!

Your initial message was "I know that in my country, there is only one line and authorities make no distinction between nationalities at any of our airports".
Your country is France in your profile. Now you are giving example of airports in Poland.  Is this supposed to be clear information ... ?

Anyway, best is to ask any Nepali here who have been studied abroad, and went working there : ask them if they took the same line as locals, when they flew in their "new" country. Be it France, USA, England, Qatar, Australia, or wherever. That will be clear information.
And if any Nepali had previously flown in Poland, it will be interesting to know if they had taken the same line as Polish people when they had arrived.

Also you stated in your original message that "Bideshis" implies the meaning of "second-class" citizens. That is wrong also, it just means "foreigner".

This forum is super great to exchange information about a country, it does not mean we have to throw wrong information to people.

So below is a picture of Chopin airport in Warsaw.

One line for non-EU citizens, one line for EU citizens : if you are a Nepali entering Poland, you have to take left, if you are a Polish (or French), you take right.

Conversely, same thing happens in Kathmandu : one line for Nepali, one for non-Nepalis.

Where is that there is more discrimination in Nepal regarding arrivals at airport ? It's just the same.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsUa21EXEAA0_2J.jpg