Living in Thailand for 15 years

I am from Singapore and been living in Thailand for 15 years now.  I work from home as I design and make gifts and souvenirs.

I had traveled to many countries around here and very frequent too before I move to Thailand.

It would be great to know more people to exchange views etc.

Cheers

Hello, I am hopeful if you can help me find information about a particular Thai food.  It is called "Khai-nam" and I understand that the locals prepare it as a meal.  Do you know anything about it?  Thank You! Beth

Hi Beth,

Are you asking for the receipe of Khai Nam (Chicken in Water)?

Hello, Yes, I have never heard of it called that.  Often called Duckweed or "eggs of the water."  It is grown in flooded fields or small ponds.  I have read that it is mainly harvested and dryed for use as a poultry feed, but because of the high nutritional value humans also eat it.

I would like to learn how it is cared for after harvesting.  How it is dryed, stored for long periods and prepared to eat.

hi jcshine!

Welcome to expat-blog ;)

I hope you find like-minded people on the forum and enjoy your stay with us!

When you've some time to spare, you can browse the Life in Thailand guide and if you fancy sharing your rich experience with other members, you could maybe write articles for the guide? I'm sure members would really enjoy that! :D

Do take care of yourself,
Kind regards,
Haf

It would be a pleasure to share what I know with others and like wise.

I would be pleased if someone need any info about Thailand from an expat point of view.

When one does shopping in Thailand, one need to be very careful especially checking everything before paying.  Do not be fool by sales people when they say, I give you a new one with packing.

Make sure you unwrap it and check if its damaged.  This is to prevent getting damaged products as they can warp it up and claimed its new.

When you are back to home or hotel, then unwrap it, if its damaged especially glass products, then the benefit of doubt comes in.  The shop can say you damage it while bringing back home or hotel, but you did not as you hold it carefully.

If you are going to buy cutlery and with the words "Stainless Steel" stamped on it.  Do check it carefully and 1 simple way is using a magnet.

There are shops that display stainless steel cutlery but when you purchase, they take from their stock and its not stainless steel.

Do not be surprised even when you buy at Supermarket like Makro or Teso Lotus or other shops as magnet will attract to the cutlery even it said, "Stainless Steel."

hey jcshine, thanks for sharing :) I'm certain other members will find it of great value.

Regards,
Haf

Hi Beth,

Sorry for late reply as been busy lately.

In your first posting, you are asking about "Khai Nam" which I thought was chicken soup.  But from your second posting it seems to be egg.  Khai and Kai is totally different item.

Is the egg black in color?

spiritgrows wrote:

Hello, Yes, I have never heard of it called that.  Often called Duckweed or "eggs of the water."  It is grown in flooded fields or small ponds.  I have read that it is mainly harvested and dryed for use as a poultry feed, but because of the high nutritional value humans also eat it.

I would like to learn how it is cared for after harvesting.  How it is dryed, stored for long periods and prepared to eat.

Always remember Google is your friend.

Duckweed is used in soups and salads but if you google duckweed recipes you will get a few links.

You can freeze to store it but once again google store duckweed for a few links.

cheers,
straydog