Bank account without residential address in Germany

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, I'm Dutch and living in Bulgaria - 23 years old and will be moving to Rostock as of the 25th of April. Really looking forward to live there; but I can't seem to get through the paperwork.

If I understand correctly, to get an address I need a bank account - and... for a bank account I need an address in Germany.

However, I would like to request a bank account in advance, so I  can sign a contract for my house once I'm there (I already found smth, however they require a bank account in advance.. :( )

What should I do? Where can I request a bank account without address in Germany?
Or, how many days it should take to get one if I'm there without an address?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mike

As far as I know, you cannot get a bank account in Germany without having a registered residential address here.
But you can of course register your residential address without a bank account - in fact you HAVE TO register if you stay anywhere longer than two weeks (even f it's a friend's place where you pay nothing, or a hotel where you pay by credit card).

In case you are talking about signing a rental contract: For that, too, there is no legal requirement to have a bank account (after all, you could do a bank transfer of the rent from abroad, or pay in cash).
German landlords are very conservative and want certainty. Maybe that's why your potential landlord asks for a bank account before agreeing to rent out.
It is very unusual (and usually futile) to start an apartment search before you arrive. Did you view the apartment? If not, my serious advice is: Don't sign and don't send money - you have no guarantee that it is what you expect, that the landlord is honest, or even that the apartment exists at all (scam rental ads are common)!

Here's a link to an excellent article (in German) about the rules for foreigners to get bank accounts. As an EU citizen you have a right to open one in Germany, once you are here. Doing it before might be tricky. But even then it is theoretically possible by Comdirekt Bank to open an account without having a German address. Comdirket belongs to Commerzbank and is a direct bank which means it has no branches, evmerything is done online. Many people opt for such a bank these days since they are used to doing things on line anyway and save a lot on fees charged by the standard banks.

Another bank, DKB does it but only for citizens of Austria and Switzerland. DKB is actually specialized in providing accounts for Germans living outside of Germany - not the same thing.  I'm quoting just a couple of passages below in the original German that basically says that there is a basic account available.

There are strict rules in Germany about identity to avoid money laundering. For opening such an account when you are elsewhere, there is a system that one can have their identity certified for free in a German post office or since recently a video-online system (maybe something like Skype or an online chat room?).

http://www.kontofinder.de/ratgeber/giro … auslaender

Sie kommen aus einem EU-Land: Seit 19. Juni 2016 gibt es das Basiskonto. Dieses Girokonto für Jedermann kann jeder Verbraucher eröffnen, der sich rechtmäßig in der EU aufhält. Die Banken sind gesetzlich zur Eröffnung des Basiskontos verpflichtet. Sie brauchen in diesem Fall keine speziellen Ausweispapiere.und haben als EU-Bürger freien Zugang auf den deutschen Arbeitsmarkt. Wenn Sie allerdings ein besseres Girokonto haben möchten, dass Sie zum Beispiel auch überziehen können, müssen Sie der Bank die Meldebescheinigung des Einwohnermeldeamtes sowie Ihre letzten Lohnzettel vorzeigen.
Identität nachweisen
In Deutschland ist wegen des Geldwäschegesetzes eine Identitätsfeststellung notwendig. Bei einer Filialbank erfolgt die Legitimation direkt vor Ort. Da dies bei einer Direktbank nicht möglich ist, wird das Post-Ident-Verfahren angewandt. Dabei gehen Sie mit Ihrem Kontoeröffnungsantrag und Ihrem Pass zu einer Filiale der Deutschen Post, wo ein Mitarbeiter kostenlos Ihre Identität bestätigt und für Sie die Unterlagen an die Bank schickt. Seit Kurzem gibt es auch das Video-Ident Verfahren, bei dem Sie sich online per Videotelefonie identifizieren.