Advice on Panama

Hello all! I was hoping I might be able to get some good insight and opinions from all of you who have already made the leap! Here is my situation: I am looking at moving to either the Tulum/Playa del Carmen area of Mexico; San Carlos, Panama; or Fajardo, Puerto Rico, from the US. I will be employed as a remote employee for a US company (but will get my own residency visa). I'm in my 40s, female, and will be moving alone--aside from my 2 dogs.
I was wondering about a variety of things: how safe a woman alone might feel; how tolerant people are to Pitbulls; any tips/tricks on renting (dealing w/real estate agents/landlords); a good lawyer for the visa; good places to go to buy groceries you miss from home; how reliable is the internet connection at home; will I be lonely (lol); best way to get my belongings there; things I should definitely bring, or leave behind; what if I want to keep my US cellphone, do I just get a local SIM card; buy a used car there, or will a scooter suffice; are medical expenses all out of pocket for temporary residents; will online products (Amazon, etc.) ship there?
I realize those are a lot of questions, so don't feel like you have to answer them all, but any advice is appreciated!
Thanks so much!

Whew!  :D
OK... a woman alone, using normal common sense should be fine in Panama. I know many single women happily living here. Panamanian men think gringo women are really interesting though, though they have never acted disrespectful in my experience.

Panamanians are generally scared to death of dogs, and I'm sure they wouldn't come near a pit bull. But, they highly respect your decisions and won't think less of you for having scary dogs. They won't come in your yard though, which may not be such a bad thing... woman living alone, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_ClPYNzEw  This comes to mind about finding housing. Maybe you can connect with other expats in your area and get recommendations.

http://kraemerlaw.com/en/  a very good lawyer

Groceries - I am not very familiar with your area but you are close to Coronado, land of many gringos so I imagine there will be supermarkets catering to their tastes. I think there are also activities in Coronado where you can connect with other expats and ask them questions. Expats are generally very happy to help a newcomer get settled.

Internet, depending on where you are is usually fine, not lightning fast but good enough for about any need.

You will probably find it easy to make friends. As I said, there are many expats nearby and if you speak Spanish, you can't possibly be lonely. Panamanians are very friendly, welcoming, and happy to become your new family.

Bring as little as possible - electronics (computer, tablet, phone, camera etc) as those things are at least as expensive here. Of course passport, important papers, more than one credit card (you don't want to be without access to money) Otherwise, it's hard to know what you will need here until you are living your new life for a while. I came with one suitcase and didn't even use everything in that. But, on this there are many differing opinions, so it's an individual decision.

You can use your phone, but I suggest you get it unlocked by your provider before you leave. Then, you only need a new sim card here (and whatever plan will work for you)

You can probably get by with a scooter or bicycle. There are a lot of inexpensive buses and taxis. If you find this isn't working, you can look for a used car, but used cars are surprisingly expensive because of the taxes and fees and whatever they tack on. Or, maybe you can get lucky with some expat who is leaving and needs to sell their car.

Medical care is inexpensive, so you can pay out of pocket but if you land in the hospital, they generally want a deposit and credit card number so they will be sure they are paid. If you feel insurance is the way to go, most people get an international policy. I hear that is cheaper if it doesn't include USA care.

Yes, you can shop on line, but you'd probably want a mail service like Mailboxes Etc. Again, a good question for other expats living in your area.

Thanks so much, that was very informative! You're a champ for making it through all that! :)

I think Panama will be the best of three places, specially about security... but it will be the most expensive also...living alone with your dog will cost you aprox 1500 usd/month. I think COPA AIRLINES will not accept to transport pitbulls, you have to check the allowed type of dogs, they have a list on their website...

Thanks so much for your reply!
I'm lucky in that she's a certified therapy dog, so most airlines let her fly with me...my Great Dane on the other hand, I'll definitely have to check around about. 😊

Hello,
You have many questions.  I guess from my part I can tell you Panama is a relative safe place.  As in any place if you show off all the time you may encounter people not interested in you but in your belongings.
San Carlos is not a city, just if you want to know. It is a nice place to live but not a city at all, no hospital, no big supermarket. etc. So I guess you will need a car. Used cars you can find.
Everything is expensive in Panama and service is not good, but it is relatively safer than other places in latin america.  Pitbulls are welcome, if the owners are not aggressive the dogs are not either. My neighbor had one for years, sweet little dog, but the lady was too.

Near san carlos you can find Coronado where you can get private doctors, good restaurants and good supermarkets (with US products). You will need a car for that or use public transportation.

For a good lawyer I can refer you a very good one if you need.
ML

Everything is expensive? Compared to what? and where in Panama? Panama city is expensive, and so are places with a lot of expats. We are living on about 1/3 of what it cost us in Florida, so it's all relative.

Service is not good? Again, maybe depends on where you are. Here in David we have had great service almost all the time everywhere we go. Even in Panama City we have had occasional apathetic service, but never bad service.

Thanks nickylin for all of the information!

Hello kristc99!
I would think that it's all subjective as well... I live in Philadelphia now, and the prices for things in Panama seem pretty great to me overall. And in terms of service, I have read a lot of complaints about customer service in Panama, but figure that they probably have nothing on Bostonians (where I was born/raised)! 😉

If you don't mind spending 1000s of dollars on nothing, getting bad service or no service, people lying and stealing, panama might be good.
Everything is fine until you have a problem here which cannot be resolved or make you lose more time and money.
I can't imagine how bad the USA must be that makes people think that panama is a great country.

Tecnorado,

The US isn't horrible, but I certainly couldn't afford to live in a decent place where it was warm year round, and be right on/near the ocean.  In Panama I can.  The air is cleaner, the scenery more beautiful,  the coffee is amazing, and life is lived at a slower pace in Panama (and some other countries).
But I do appreciate hearing the cons as well, thanks!

Although we live in Pedasi, San Carlos is one of the areas we researched. It is a town with a Regional hospital and clinic, super-mini groceries, and restaurants. If you need something more, nearby Coronado offers large grocery markets (Rey, Super 99, Riba Smith), large hardware stores (Novie, Do-it-Center), Pharmacies (Arrocha), Restaurants and Fast Food (McDonalds, Subway, etc.), Mail-boxes Etc., a private clinic, and many other services. We have found food to be cheaper for some things and more expensive for other things-just depends on what you want to eat.  Cars, even used cars, are usually more expensive than the US. Panama has good bus service to almost any town and taxis are available as well. Please do-diligent research with the different airlines about bringing dogs, even service dogs. Can be costly and requires time-sensitive documents and scheduling. You will need a Panamanian attorney for your permanent residence visa which also requires time-sensitive apostiled documents including an FBI fingerprint clearance. Best wishes on your research and decision as where to move.