Moving Soon, Baby Steps!

OK, we did the visits, read the books and chose the place we want to live, PG ....

Baby Step 1.  Where can I get a great attorney to help us with the initial move when we find a place to rent for a year and get the right residency?  Buying land comes later, may be a year or so.

Baby Step 2.  We need to move our immediate needs plus get a truck while we settle in our rental; buy a Toyota Hylux in Belize City, drive it back to the US and truck the essentials for the rental?  Makes sense?  Probably depends on the residency visa?

Not looking to start up a business in Belize!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill & Jamie

A QRP is the best residency if you you do not plan to work in Belize. It will permit you to import a car or truck plus a boat and your household goods duty free. If you want a regular residency you must stay in belize for 12 months without leaving for more than 14 days at a time. I dont know why you would need an attorney if you are going to move here and rent.

Thanks for the advice; and yes, the attorney thing was a concern based on life in the USA ....!

I do want to buy the truck new and need to be a retired citizen for the tax break but need to drive the immediate stuff down before we qualify hence the questions.  Do I buy in the US (no diesel toyota trucks here) or buy tax paid while I am waiting to be qualified for retirement in Belize?

Can I defer tax payments until I qualify?

The timing is the tricky thing; the need to have our immediate stuff in Belize vs. the desire to avoid paying taxes unnecessarily!

Think about contacting a freight mover for your need now stuff. Taxes on household belongings is not that bad. Contact a Belize Broker wiyh a list of items for a quote. Belize taxes are a prime source of in come for the country, never heard of them defering till you qialify. But never hurts to ask. Again the Broker would be a good resource for that question. The Toyota dealer in Belize City is; Belize Diesel & Equipment CO. LIMITED
toyota-caribbean.com/countrytop/belize.asp
They may be able to help.

Did you get immigration attorney help?

You won't need an attorney until you buy. If you are coming for actual retirement, QRP is the easiest way to go. You do get some benefits from it.  More practical if you don't plan to work. Just need to deposit monthly into a Belize account, which I believe is easier to obtain if you are headed the QRP route.