Does a border run restart your 30 days?

Hi everyone,

My name is Lisa. I am a single mom with four kids. We are wanting to do a two month test visit to Belize in hopes of returning three months later to live for mission work. We were planning to fly into Guatemala City (which is also cheaper) and doing a month of Spanish school first. Then, getting a shuttle to Belize. I know we can only stay in Belize for 30 days without messing with visas (which I'd rather save money and time and do when we come back). So, my question is, after 30 days in Belize, would it be a good idea for us to get a shuttle to Guatemala (do a border run), so we can return to Belize for another 30 days before returning back to the U.S.? I can't find any requirements about this online (i.e. how long we need to be across the border - an hour, a weekend, etc.). Also, right now, I'm planning to fly into Guatemala, but to fly out of Belize City on our return. I'm wondering if there would be an advantage of just flying in and out of Guatemala, or just in and out of Belize City. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!

@Godgirl

Flying into and out of Belize might be much simpler and faster. But likely more expensive.

A border run may or may not get you another 30 days.

There is a Belize exit fee, which, if you fly into Belize, is included in your air fare. If you cross at a land border, you will be charged app. BZD40.00 per person.

You probably already know this, but…If one is traveling across borders with kids, without both parents/guardians, a notarized letter of consent by the non accompanying parent/guardian must be provided.

You will likely be asked for that letter by your airline, before departing your country.

You may be asked for a return ticket, or onward ticket at check in as well.

Hope this helps a bit. Safe travels!

Belize is not a country that requires any sort of border run. You just have to report to the nearest Immigration office (several around the country) and pay your $$$!!! fees to get an "extension" of your Visitor Permits (there is no "visa" requirement as such for US citizens). Be prepared to convince them (with evidence of some sort) that you have sufficient money to live on and/or return plane tickets. In my experience, IF they even allow the use of a credit card at the office, it is only likely to work about half of the time, so plan on having enough cash on hand.

If you ask nicely at the border when you arrive, they may let you pay for 60 days, so you can avoid spending the extra time to renew. This is a typical bureaucracy Belize-style, so it really depends on the person you talk to and their mood at the time.

*** Note that 30 or 60 days is what you get, NOT 1 or 2 full months. Take care to note the expiry date that they write on the sticker in your passport.

@Godgirl

The two folks posting previously are correct. However the exit fee at the BZE airport was now up to $85 US when I flew out the end of July 2022. It is a collection of fees to various government departments and is normally included in your airline departure ticket price. So it is possible the boarder and Sea Port exit fee has also gone up.

The Visitor extension fee is now up to $100 US per person for each 30 day period. If you go to the immigration office a day or two early, you only get the 30 day extension from the day you are at their office.

If you go through any exit point even one day late, they will charge you the full 30 day Visitor extension fee plus the exit fee. Yes, even if the immigration office is closed for the weekend or holiday on your 30th day. Yes it sucks, but that is the way it is, so plan accordingly.

@Brigitte B Thanks for replying. So far it seems better to pay BZD 40.00 per person to exit by land, than BZD 200.00 per person for a 30 days visitor extension. Even after I factor in the cost of ground transport round trip from Belize to Guatemala, I think I would still be way ahead?

@Aerodex Thanks for replying. It helps to know the 30 day cost specifics.

@elgordo42 Thanks for the advice. I will try these things if we go that route.

@Brigitte B Thanks for replying. So far it seems better to pay BZD 40.00 per person to exit by land, than BZD 200.00 per person for a 30 days visitor extension. Even after I factor in the cost of ground transport round trip from Belize to Guatemala, I think I would still be way ahead?
-@Godgirl

That Belize Land exit fee is actually $40 US  = $80 BZD per person. It might even be more, as even the US Embassy in Belize does not include all the extra fees that are collected at the airport.

Here is a link to the embassy website. But expat dot com often blocks links for months at a time so if that happens, Google it on your own. https://bz.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … our%20trip).

-@Godgirl

That Belize Land exit fee is actually $40 US = $80 BZD per person. It might even be more, as even the US Embassy in Belize does not include all the extra fees that are collected at the airport.

Here is a link to the embassy website. But expat dot com often blocks links for months at a time so if that happens, Google it on your own. https://bz.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … our%20trip).
-@Aerodex

Aerodex - When did the exit fees for leaving by land border change? They've been half of the fees departing by air for as long as I can remember.

@Godgirl

Just be aware that if the Belize immigration officer at the land border has even the slightest suspicion that crossing into Guatemala or Mexico is for the sole purpose of avoiding extension fees, he may or may not give you 30 days. It may be any days the officer wants to give you.

it's a crapshoot.

I'd suggest to do the extension by visiting the District's Immigration office. Then you know for sure you have the 30 days.

@Brigitte B

That is a good question. I wish I had a better answer.  I will be back in Placencia in a couple weeks. If you can find accurate government source information, that would be great. I will also try when I get back in country.  For folks with families like this young lady with 4 kids these fees add up quickly and accurate info makes a real difference.

Here is another link to what seems like a helpful young mans website that supports what you say, vs the US embassy.   https://www.belizeadventure.ca/travel-t … rture-tax/

I have been flying in and out of BZE international airport several times a year since 2008. Back then we had to stand in line at a window to pay in cash the exit fee of $25 US, then were given a receipt that was surrendered along with an exit questioner form to a Belize officer before being allowed to enter security screening. Around 2012-13 they changed it to having the airlines collect the exit fee, and soon more and more fees were added into the total now around $80-$90 US . 

The only time I have been to a land border in Belize was about 2013 when we wanted to see what was in the so called "Free Zone". Parked the rental car in the parking lot, walked into a government building, stood in line and found out it was going to cost 2 people $35 US in order to just go look in the "Free Zone" for an hour. We turned around and walked out, drove away laughing as we joked if it cost that much to enter the so called  "Free Zone" what would it cost to get back to our car. LOL

@Aerodex Thanks for replying. It helps to know the 30 day cost specifics.
-@Godgirl

I am sorry for the possible confusion on Land exit fees. I hope you will post your experience to share with others.

Here is what looks like good info you might be able to use, but please double check.

https://thebambootraveler.com/crossing- … guatemala/

Also Brigitte's caution on what you say to Immigration officers (or customs officers) is important, they are good people, but their job also includes bringing in revenue for Belize.  I have been in line when folks in front of me got chatty with them, and later regretted it.  😉 

My advice, is never lie to them, but never volunteer more information than they ask for.  You mentioned previously doing mission work. The 30 day visitors permit specifically says one can not work, that includes volunteer work. To work one must apply for, pay for and meet reequipment's for a Work Permit.  I doubt you want to go apply at this time. 

I have met many folks over the years from various church groups that come and do wonderful things for communities, schools, Belize churches, etc in Belize. But they are part of preplanned organized  Mission trips. I have also twice bumped into visiting  doctors that come into Belize and treat folks/kids in several villages over a few weeks. Again their organization arranged it in advance.  I am not trying to discourage anyone, just trying to help folks avoid surprises.😀 

@Aerodex

It's totally possible that the land border exit fees have gone up,

Up until Covid closed the border, we drove across the Northern border once a year to go back to Canada. It was always +- 40BZD.  But…things do change.

I remember having to pay for the exit tax at the airport, and people scrambling because they had no cash.

I may have to go to Benque next week, and if I go, I'll be happy to go and take a photo of the sign with the amounts posted in the exit hall.

And I totally agree. Being up front with Immigration AND Customs officials is the only way.

This is all good advice, thank you. I will keep all these things in consideration as I make decisions. I definitely want to be honest and do what is legal.

@Godgirl

I did some more online research, not as good as contacting Belize government sites and staff, but better than noting if used with caution. Also use the magnifying glass (upper right of page) to search for info here on expat dot com for older threads. Keep in mind many folks have not been active for a long time. 😀

https://www.belizehub.com/belize-airpor … exit-fees/

http://www.belizebudgetsuites.com/departing-belize.html

This one shows "Tourists over age 11 are required to pay a departure tax of $59.25 USD when leaving the country." I have never see the age part before, interesting.

https://chabilmarvillas.com/belize-inte … 20country.

This one was updated October 2022, but the stamps on the passport page show 2014....so again is it up todate info?

https://www.roadaffair.com/border-cross … l-america/

Here is I think an upto date site with lots of detail.

https://thebambootraveler.com/crossing- … guatemala/

This is a breakdown of the fees collected on a AA flight from BZE to DFW December 2022

TRANSPORTATION TAX (UNITED STATES)      $19.70 USD

US APHIS USER FEE (UNITED STATES)      $3.96 USD

US CUSTOMS USER FEE (UNITED STATES)      $6.52 USD

US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE (UNITED STATES) $7.00 USD

AIRPORT DEPARTURE TAX (BELIZE)              $15.00 USD

AIRPORT DEVELOPMENT FEE (BELIZE)      $18.00 USD

CONSERVATION TAX (BELIZE)              $20.00 USD

INTERNATIONAL SECURITY FEE (BELIZE)      $2.50 USD

I guess above is the answer to exiting by land.

Any of the US fees do not apply, neither do any of the airport fees.

That basically leaves the conservation fee and a couple of bucks for security fee. Although we've never been charged the latter.

I guess above is the answer to exiting by land.
Any of the US fees do not apply, neither do any of the airport fees.
That basically leaves the conservation fee and a couple of bucks for security fee. Although we've never been charged the latter.
-@Brigitte B

Yes I agree, some of the other links also support what you originally said, $40 BZD.

I am really surprised the US Embassy in Belize  has it incorrectly listed at $40 USD.

The US Airline departure fees collected as part of the ticket price, look to vary a bit by destination airport.

I did not check any none US airlines.

If I were younger I might try the 10-12 hour bus/van trip through the Western Belize-Guatemala land crossing, flying into  La Aurora International Airport (GUA) sometime. Although I did not see a big difference in US to GUA airfare. Plus the need for at least one night hotel. 

In years past I also had enough 3 hour night time van rides between BZE airport and Placencia to take several years off my life. 😀    Besides if one is going to be on these mountain roads the scenery/views is far too spectacular not to do it in full daylight. 😁

Well folks, look out for a new scam.

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2022 … to-belize/