Visiting for 6 months to a year

Hello everyone! My name is Prudence, and my husband and I and our three children are looking for a nice friendly place to relocate to. So far we have narrowed our choices down to Belize and Ecuador. But before we relocate, we would love to visit each one of these destinations for a period of about 6 months to a year, so that we can get a feel of the people and the area.  Now, in terms of Belize, does anyone have any idea if there are any special requirements for such a visit? Would we need any type of special paper work or visas to stay for this period of time?

Hi Prudence,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Prudence. Americans do not need visas to visit Belize, simply a passport.  If you stay longer than 30 days, then you need to go to Belize immigration every month and get your passport stamped and pay a $50 bze ($25 usd) fee, which jumps to $100 bze after six months.

Hope that helps and that you love this beautiful country that I now call home.

Sharon Hiebing

Christine wrote:

Hi Prudence,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Christine! Thanks for the welcome.

Wealthships wrote:

Hi Prudence. Americans do not need visas to visit Belize, simply a passport.  If you stay longer than 30 days, then you need to go to Belize immigration every month and get your passport stamped and pay a $50 bze ($25 usd) fee, which jumps to $100 bze after six months.

Hope that helps and that you love this beautiful country that I now call home.

Sharon Hiebing

Thank you very much Wealthship. This information is very helpful. So how do you like living in Belize?

I love it! I\'m coming up on my one year anniversary here next month.  I\'ve started two businesses (relocation services and property management companies), found a new love, and am enjoying the low cost of living and the wonderful tropical environment and climate.

I hope you enjoy our country when you come.  Take care, Sharon Hiebing

Wealthships wrote:

I love it! I\'m coming up on my one year anniversary here next month.  I\'ve started two businesses (relocation services and property management companies), found a new love, and am enjoying the low cost of living and the wonderful tropical environment and climate.

I hope you enjoy our country when you come.  Take care, Sharon Hiebing

Sharon,
I just got chills when I read your post. Do you realize what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time? And the icing on the cake, as we say in the US, is you have a new love too. 

This does not happen everyday let alone all within one year. Congratulations on your one year expat anniversary, and starting 2 businesses. And best of luck with your new relationship! You go girl.......

Regards,
LAN:top:

Thank you, Lan! That's really sweet of you :)

Sharon,

My wife and I will be visiting Belize in January and would like to possibly look at any long term rentals that you are aware of in the Corozal area.  We are looking for a change of pace and are getting tired of the rat race in the US. I am also disabled and live in Central Oregon and the winters here are killing me, I've broke my back 3 times since 2000 and had 2 back surgeries.
Please get back to me..

Thanks...Mike

Hi Mike. I\'ll private message you with rental info.  Sharon

Hi Sharon, Its great to hear from the other succesfully and truly happy expats here. I\'ve been here for 7 years, own 2 business (Resort and Tour) and am a Real Estate Co-Broker for another Belizean owned company. I brought my true love down with me, but she loves it as well.......love to drink a bottle of Champagne and toast to us happy expats.
Congrats on the one year anniversary.
Tony

Hi Tony!  Thanks so much! I talked to your associate, James, today. He left me some of your business cards here in San Ignacio Town. I hope to send some referrals your way - you are doing great things too! Being a serial entrepreneur in Belize does help, lol! Take care, Sharon

I will be glad if anyone can help me with how to visit Belize from Nigeria as there is no Belize embassy here in Nigeria. If you know you can help me, let me know I will can start the processing and what it will cost to my mail [email protected] and also include your phone number to call you.

HI ALL new here and i just wanted to say hello

hi belizebill

OMG We are doing the same thing!  We are from the Seattle area and going to Caulker Caye in 12/12 for a year maybe more...it is our 1st stop in our retirement life! After Belize maybe going on to Panama for a year...after that, who knows!!!  We are SOOOO excited!!! :lol: We have been researching for a year now, and now it's just time to come on down! If anyone has anything to say about Calker Caye it will be greatly appreciated, as well as should we look into the polyclinic on Ambergris or just go to the hospital in Belize City for health care? and because we don't know how long we are staying, how can we get out of having a return ticket home?  Thanx all!  Cathy:)

Hi everyone- I am new here and been following this conversation and I am looling for a little advise.  I am coming to Cororzol in Nov. as part of relocation research.  I would like to meet some of you in person if you live in that area, so are there any restaurants or bars where you can usually find the expats in Corozol ?

Capt. Ronn

hey Capt Ronn
i am in corozal.. alot of expat go to Primos & the wood house right on the water front. where are u staying while u are here- i can provide directions to both locations- they r right beside each other lol! enjoy your time in Belize!

Jaanyvr - Thanks for being kind to an expat "newbe" and I will look forward to meeting you at Primos.  First one is on me.  I am visiting Corozol on one of the "Orchid" tours and then extending a few days on my own to look outside the development.  I have read some unpleasant comments about "Santuary" in the south and was wondering what the reputation was/is on Orchid.  I am moving from So. Cal but my eyes are wide open to the chasing the expat dream.

as i tell anyone that comes to belize- u must make up you own mond about the place u want to live... everyone has an opinion good or bad... i dont like to discourage any one place.. every where has pitfalls and benefits. you must see for yourself and make up your own mind. The best thing to do it see, feel it, experience it! I love belize- the good & the bad, i hope you do too. See u in Nov!

looking for the best place to stay, ie location, accommodation, and price etc

sharon

I am looking for reasonable accommodation in Belize to stay winters away from the cold of Canada, I have MS and I am still mobile. I have a tricycle which enables me to get around up to twenty miles.

Do you have  any suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

I cant imagine spending a year on CC, the caye is only 5 miles long, very tiny. for fancy medical like bypass you go back north.  a clinic is a clinic so it depends on what your need is. medicine in belize is improving all the time but the comfort still stops there.

anything beach will be more expensive.

Same for us.  We are looking at about June 2017.  Without going into too much at this time, we re planning on coming either to Ambergris Caye or Placencia.  Right now we are looking at possibly 6 mos to 1 year.  While there, we will explore inland, etc, but I seriously feel like the cayes is where we will end up. Both retired and just looking at a whole different pace from the U.S. Been researching for several months, and have a pretty good idea of what we are getting into.   The information here and several other areas has been a great source of insight.

We are planning on showing up with 2 of our kids (17 and 19).  They will only be with us for a week or so, the head back to the U.S for school.  Like I said, 6 months to a year is what we are looking at for now, Not looking for work or to start business, and not looking to buy property at this time.  Just checking things out. Any tips or other info would be greatly appreciated. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone sometime soon!

Mike and Candace

katzgar wrote:

anything beach will be more expensive.

I have noticed that a person can buy a 4 bedroom house away from the beach cheaper than a 2 bedroom condo on the beach or near.

It all depends on what you want. My husband and I took the field trip that John Turley offers on Ambergris Caye. You can google him. He is with Remax realty. NO SALES PITCH WHILE ON THE FIELD TRIP!!! IF INTERESTED IN SOMETHING YOU MEET WITH HIM AFTERWARDS.  We not only had a GREAT time but learned SO SO MUCH ABOUT REAL ESTATE, THE LAWS, THE GOVERNMENT. BEST EDUCATION EVER. My husband and I are going to move to Ambergris Caye. Retired. Change of life from the pace of the US. We invested some money in Mahagony Bay and bought a boat access only lot on a tiny island 1 1/4 mile from the bridge north of San Pedro town. Our dream was waterfront and we got it on the bay. Lots of things we are giving up and doing without, and I am coming to peace with that. We want to then give back a little to the people of San Pedro. It is a third world country and we are hoping we can make a little tiny dent to help out. Will not move for quite a while. Lots to do here before making the move. Hope this has helped. We are going back the first week of February for a week. Yeah! Good luck to you!

I retired to Belize over 2years ago and have enjoyed it
I vacationed to Belize over 25 years and was able to rent a car and explore all regions of Belize
When I retired decisedfor the best area/town to settle in would Corozol Town
Close to the Mexican border and I can easily cross the border and go to the Freezone shops and go to Chetuma
and shop at Sam's club
and Costco and Wal-Mart
669-1963