Following fashion in Hungary

Hi everyone,

Do you follow fashion trends in Hungary? Every country and every culture has its own dress code. As far as you are concerned, have you changed the way you dress?

Can one easily find fashion boutiques in Hungary? Are clothes expensive there? Or cheap?

What do Hungarians usually wear or like to wear the most?

Share your experience!

Priscilla

I've always been a "dedicated follower of fashion" but I have always also had my own style.
I love wearing funky leather overcoats with old mink hats in the winter, summer I tend to wear more blue jeans and funky tops with beads, large straw hats.
Fashion in Hungary is overall alright. At least people tend to wear clothing that fits their bodies. Nothing bothers me more then the gangsta look of sagging jeans with tennis shoes.
All I can say is that for an American I do have my own sense of style, sometimes follow trends and other times put outfits together from varies ideas. I will wear granny boots with orange stockings if the mood hits me or wear a pretty dress just because, other times the Tom Boy look is great. I am more then sure my neighbors have a few words to say about that crazy American women in her 60's who still dresses like a teenager at times.
That's one thing I love about HUngary , almost any sort of style is ok as long as the outfit is put together with a bit of thought.
There used to be allot more independent boutique stores in Budapest  about 20 or so years back, Copies of high end fashions from Italy, Paris. The prices were low enough for people to frequent them often.
Most of these more affordable fashion houses are gone, been replaced with more main stream shops like H&M, Zara and others.
People now look the same here as in just about any other European city, not much in the way of Hungarian style any more from what I can tell.
I honestly have seen some really nice sewing materials and fabrics here, just wish I could sew well enough to make a few outfits on my own.
My husband was a Mod here in Budapest in the 1960's, used to be "collected and rounded up" often by the police for dressing too western.
He and his friends would save up 2 to 3 months of pay and have a tailor make them a suit.
Used to be that young men in fast red sports cars from Italy would bring over "black market" items, always a long line of Dandies waiting to pick through their selection of shoes, ties, belts.
My husband had several custom made leather jackets made here in Hungary back then.
Overcoats that were so skin tight one couldn't wear a jumper underneath.
The total Mod look like in London in the mid to late 60's.
He was young and lucky enough to have his parents indulge his fashion habit, let him do what he wanted to with his savings.
It was more of a political statement back then to dress with high style all the time, he even had his work uniform suit tailor fitted in the Mod design.
These days no one , no one I ever see takes it to that extreme. fashion as become boring, most people also just don't stay fit enough to wear nice fashions.

I have no idea what is fashionable in Hungary but I don't go to Budapest, where I assume any trends would originate. I think most people are like me, what clothes they can afford have to be worn until they are worn out.

What I have come to realize here in HU and more then likely in many European capitals is that many people buy good quality items that are fashionable enough to get them through many seasons.
Well worth the money to have a great overcoat, hat , gloves that can work for a few seasons.
Summer clothing is usually a bit more relaxed and a ton cheaper to keep up on trends.
I know that as long as a outfit fits well on the body and the color is good for the skin tone, it can work for several seasons.

Priscilla wrote:

Do you follow fashion trends in Hungary?

No.

But maybe men have it a bit easier to sticking more with style and function.

For business the conservative, classic business suit works best on most men, including myself. Stick to style more than fashion there and hard to go wrong. Chasing skinny pant styles or shorter sleeves and jacket lengths each year I consider a waste of time and money.

For casual, I tend to wear a more sportsman or outdoor style since I spend so much time outdoors. I still have a fleece jacket I bought three decades ago. Still in "style" today. And here function is the more important to me than fashion. People who spend a lot of time outdoors and especially in outdoor activities are more concerned with staying warm in the winter, cool in the summer and dry all year. And I can actually find more of such clothes actually made in Hungary or other parts of Europe rather than the otherwise all to ubiquitous 'Made in China".

I bought a new cotton T-shirt (in the UK) for £2 (about 700 Ft).    For that kind of money, it's a throw away.  It was made in Bangladesh.   I don't think I could buy one in HU for that kind of money.

My last trip to the US had me bringing back a ton of old rock and roll T-shirts which I bought second hand.
Cheap, worn just slightly so had the lived in look, well fitting, made for women and the average price was $3. a pop.
Couldn't fit into my fave one that I found, bought it anyways, a  gift next time over for my grand-niece.
A good summertime casual look with jeans, easy wash and wear.

I live in different colored t-shirts all summer. Love t-shirts. But only when around on, or going to and from, my properties.

When I go out and about "on the town", I do tend to use a real shirt with buttons. Still think when being in public one should show some style and class.

I agree, I will not leave our home without doing my face unless we are going to the pool, even then never leave without my lipstick on.
I used to dress up here in Hungary a bit more then I do lately.
I still dress up some.
If I am going to the doctor or some official place, I tend to dress a bit more conservative .
I dress up more here then I ever did in Vegas.
Vegas is allot more casual then Budapest.

klsallee wrote:

I live in different colored t-shirts all summer. Love t-shirts. But only when around on, or going to and from, my properties.

When I go out and about "on the town", I do tend to use a real shirt with buttons. Still think when being in public one should show some style and class.

Hmmm.....class is probably a matter of perception vs comfort.   I'll choose comfort every time.

I travel by plane a great deal (I mean really a lot, nearly every week) and I always see people dressed to the nines "for the plane journey".   That's just silly, even dangerous.  On the other hand I see people in shorts and flip-flops and T-shirts fresh off the beach heading to a cold winter country like Sweden or even Hungary.  I also see people in suits heading for the tropics. WTF is that about?

The best travelling clothes are loose trousers, baggy T-shirts, a decent hoody, light coat and slip on shoes.  Not fashionable but very comfortable for long haul.

It's like my mother saying to my father that they should clean up before the home help arrives.   D'oh!  Who's the customer?!

I once did a day trip from LA to Dallas for a job interview with a major US airline, for  flight hostess .
Bought a really nice suit ( broke the bank on that one) wore my stockings and 3 inch heels( 5'9" in stocking feet) This was over 30 years ago, don't think I would be interested these days .
Pearl necklace, earrings, new conservative haircut, the whole "enchilada".
After a long day of flying, interviewing etc. I just wanted to kick off those heels and take off that tight suit so badly.
Since the airline booked my flight for me, as a rep. of their co. I had to wear the suit, business style dress both ways, couldn't change.
At least they flew me first class but still...
These days I usually fly with jeans but stretch jeans, comfy and stylish at the same time.
My fave sweater got too old had to toss it out, still looking for the perfect flight top which to me has pockets to carry glasses, tissue and my flight med's...Xanax or something more relaxing...
Side note, I thought I had that job in the bag but on arrival realized those interviews are basically a cattle call. There were at least 500 others on that one day alone trying for 2 open spots.
I was glad after all that I bought the nicest suit only because 99%  of the other try out's were all wearing the basic navy blue dress suit, I opted for a nice classy black suit with silk blouse.
What made me so mad is after that long day of interviews etc. at the airport everyone and their mother was asking me about flights, times etc. everyone thought I actually worked for the airlines... I was nice but maybe I should of been a snob and that way got even with them for wasting my money and time on their bogus job.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Hmmm.....class is probably a matter of perception vs comfort.   I'll choose comfort every time.

Comfy is good. But classy is not necessarily formal.

So classy and comfortable are not necessarily mutually exclusive. One can do both if one tries.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I travel by plane a great deal (I mean really a lot, nearly every week) and I always see people dressed to the nines "for the plane journey".

I had a house mate who always dressed up for flights. Reasoning: If the flight is over booked, people were bumped up to first class...  but only if they "looked" first class. She actually got into first class quite a few times doing that, for a coach price ticket.

And I use to fly a lot for business as well. From tiny Cessnas all the way up to the commercial big boys. My attire did of course differ between the Cessna and the 777.

klsallee wrote:

...I had a house mate who always dressed up for flights. Reasoning: If the flight is over booked, people were bumped up to first class...  but only if they "looked" first class. She actually got into first class quite a few times doing that, for a coach price ticket.

And I use to fly a lot for business as well. From tiny Cessnas all the way up to the commercial big boys. My attire did of course differ between the Cessna and the 777.

I think it works on points now or some other algorithm, allocated by computer, not appearance.  What I found is that you turn up at the gate, they scan your boarding card and then the computer spits out a new one with an upgrade or a change in seat allocation.   You could be wearing T-shirts and shorts for all they know.

My brother , SIL both work for a major US airline.
They are required to dress "business or business casual" to use their stand by air perks.
They take any seat available but they must dress up just in case they are bumped up to first class.
I am not impressed at all by people who fly first class, most have a co. benefit for travel or are one way or the other not paying out of pocket for a seat.
My friend and her dad flew first class from Cal to Fl. but that was a one time splurge, my friend hates flying so much she has not been on a plane since she came from Iran in 1978.
Her dad is going on 90 so they spent on first class because it could well be his last flight.
They are not big on dressing up so suppose in some cases money talks.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....I am not impressed at all by people who fly first class, most have a co. benefit for travel or are one way or the other not paying out of pocket for a seat...
Her dad is going on 90 so they spent on first class because it could well be his last flight.
They are not big on dressing up so suppose in some cases money talks.

It's an utter waste of money to fly in First Class.  From what I've seen, it's not that much more interesting or special than Business Class.

I once paid for Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes to go Business Class to the UK on the grounds it would be easier for them.  What an utter waste of money.  That was on BA (British Airways).  That airline has gone wrong. Don't bother!

Sorry to have to agree, we flew BA last time, thought it would be nice to fly one shot to Vegas from London.
I will never fly with them again.
First off they put us the middle, I tried to book my seat in the last 24 hours as not to have to pay for a  end seat, old with a bum knee, tall too need a bit of space.
Their web site was down and we couldn't book our requested seats, they stuck us in the middle and 2 rows apart on a long haul flight.
Both my husband and I were stuck sitting with the "Swedish Drinking Team" I swear there were 32 young drunk guys doing a Vegas trip together from Sweden, all had a drink in each hand, wouldn't of bothered me if we could of sat together at least. I had to literally crawl over the guy blocking the row because he was passed out drunk. Another one of those party animals got so smashed he actually was talking with me when I stood in the back to stretch my legs, he then just laid down on the ground near the WC's!
He was blocking the whole row with his body and the flight hostesses didn't do a thing about it.
Not very classy at all.
Never again, from their down web page to the way they seated us, I will not fly with them again, ok, forgot they actually cost more for economy then another airline we usually use.
At least the booze was flowing freely, I'll give them that much!
Glad we didn't dress up for that flight.

When I think of all the FAA violations on that flight, it makes my skin crawl.
I always pay attention to the area on any flight where I am sitting.
Another thing on that flight, while we were waiting to board for an hour or so a young casually dressed guy who appeared to be traveling alone, was speaking very , very loud in a middle eastern language, even saying things that sounded allot like a chant, a bit unnerving as one is getting ready to get on the same plane with them.
Later on that flight, he went into the WC for ever, I mean at least 20 mins. It was a very crowded flight every seat taken so we were waiting for him to exit the WC, long lines to get in. He did come out all dressed up in a suit, relief is the word that comes to mind.
What a half-a****d airline.
Before we boarded we realized they had given us seats 2 rows apart, they told us at the boarding desk to wait because they would find a way to sit us together on that very long flight. No way, they didn't do a darn thing to try and sit us together. My silly husband even moved over one seat so one of those Swedes could sit next to his buddy. What a silly man he can be, why didn't he ask one of those 32 guys if we could somehow sit together?
My husband takes med's from his doctor and i had to keep getting up, crawling
over the drunk next to me to remind him it was time for a pill etc.
I got more friendly with my seat mate then I ever wanted to get!
Lucky he was passed out as I literally had to sit on his legs to pass by his drunk body.
I understand people going to Vegas to have fun but the airline really dropped the ball for us.
Even the flight crew looked a bit dis shoveled and sloppy, their uniforms were not all that crisp and sharp.