Speaking Spanish in Dominican Republic

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Dominican Republic. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Dominican Republic?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Dominicans?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It is not essential but certainly can make  your life easier.   I am still no way fluent but can get by and learned by just living here. There are lots of classes available but I do not do well in class :)

Bob K

The more spanish you know the better.  If I could do this over again I would have forced myself to learn the language from the beginning!!

I learned out of necessity as I went along. My spanish is pretty darn good but not perfect!

In tourist areas you can get by without it, but its way better to learn it!!!

Learning the language in your country of residence is crucial and essential. Although one can limit oneself to expat communities learning to speak Spanish will significantly ease your transition in the DR.

Can you imagine the challenges a Dominican would face moving to the US or Canada without knowing the language. They would have to depend on others for assistance. The same applies to individuals moving to the DR.

Yet, there are many Americans and Canadians that have done very well without knowing too much Spanish.

It is also a sign of respect for the country and the culture!

And I understand it is much much harder for some to learn. Its the trying that counts! At least try.

I keep meeting guys who have been here many years and still dont know more than a few words....some decades. Pathetic.

If they are trying to learn and unable, its sad.

If they are not even trying, its pathetic and disrespectful.

A number of phone apps and online programs are available to assist in the learning process. Some on these include duolingo, Babbel, Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur. Alternatively, if one wishes to get a head start on the language prior to moving to the DR, some community colleges in the US teach foreign languages in the evenings and weekends. Some locals even offer private instruction.

I fall into the SAD  category.  Since High school I have had problems learning foreign languages.

Bob K

Could not agree with your more Planner. I did not speak more than a couple words when I first came to these shores. It took me years to finally learn it. Sure, I know expats that refuse to learn it and just hang with others who speak their language. These are also the people that continually get taken advantage of by locals. I even have a friend whom married a Dominican and neither speak the others language. He thinks she likes it but if he could communicate with her he'd know that isn't true.
Anyway, yes, if you live here and truly love it here, learn the language. I used Spanish for Gringos to get started speaking Spanish. The same company has Ingles por Latinos. They get you speaking right away and don't bother with structure till later in the lessons. I think I paid $20 for the first book and CD.
Most locals will help you with your pronunciation.
Buena suerte! Enjoy!!

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying my best to learn a little Spanish before  coming back to Puerto Plata this time in Feb. I am using apps,  Duolingo, Cds an even trying to listen to some news in Spanish but I my knowledge is too limited still. Very basic :)
I was wondering if someone knows of a reasonable Spanish school In Puerto Plata that maybe I could take a few hours while I'm there for a few weeks...Or is that too ambitious of me :) and that would be something I would do once I make the big move there....Because right now, I am just coming to get my feet wet, meet people and try to visualize the road map to my upcoming permanent move?
But i am very eager to learn Spanish for sure!
Thank you for any suggestions!

Spanish for Gringos helped me. It comes with a book and a CD. It gets you speaking right away. I got mine at WalMart in Florida on one of my stateside visits

Hi Priscilla, I am by no means fluent but its coming on. I get frustrated by few things. The trouble  that Dominicans either either shout or they gabble at enormous speed. I get frustrated too with some words and concepts  eg techo - a roof or a ceiling  and how do you say the door is closed but its not locked, yes I know you can get round it  with an explanation  but what a  rigmarole. I don´t know this word in spanish either!!
My apologies if i spelt your name wrong.

I´d love to attend some of your meetings but what with a 3 hour guagua ride and a walking frame or wheelchair most of any pleasure there may be in going to S.D. wears a bit thin!!

Richard

I believe there are Spanish classes held on the second floor of Plaza Colonial.

You don need lessons if you have internet. Just study online , then practice with the natives.     Recently i eas talking to some women were taking really expensive lessons from a guy from Spain, who happened tobe sitting right beside us.  I asked him if he had already taught them....."que lo que"?   He said no, they dont need to learn that phrase we here the locals say all day long.

You don need lessons if you have internet. Just study online , then practice with the natives.     Recently i eas talking to some women were taking really expensive lessons from a guy from Spain, who happened tobe sitting right beside us.  I asked him if he had already taught them....."que lo que"?   He said no, they dont need to learn that phrase we here the locals say all day long.

Me obligaron a hacerlo como parte de mi servicio de Peace Corps. Es esencial. ¿Cómo podrías integrarte y prosperar aquí sin hablar el idioma?

Some learn better face to face. I am one of those. yes there are a couple of schools in POP where you can go get some lessons!   Send Maiko a whats app to  1-809-857-0195 he does both private and semi private lessons in Puerto Plata.

Thank you Planner..Yes I am also one of those who learn better face to face :)
I will try Maiko to get some info. I also relate to you saying that if you could do it over again, you would learn Spanish from the beginning...so i will try :) Thank you for the info and sharing your experience to make it easier for people like me to follow the right steps....in trying to plan this new adventure and big move !

You are very welcome!

Gringos palomos qlq, manguen su caminao pa q en la calle no le quiten los tennis..... Bet you not gonna learn that in spanish class lol :top:

Hahahaha

I'm planning to live in the La Vega/Jarabacoa area  for a few months. I'm married to a local lady and speak spanish fluently. I'm planning on moving there some time later this year from Curacao(I'am from the caribbean...). First I want to try a living like the local people do, on a 'local" budget. I'll be on the watch for low investment business opportunities ,since we don't have a lot of $$  to take it easy or to fall back on easily.

dushi hende
Welcome to the forum.
Keep us posted on your progress

Bob K

Thanks for replying !
It's great to be able to take part in this forum. I think I can learn a whole lot from your experiences.
I'm looking into living in the Jarabacoa/La vega area. I was wondering if there is an expat community there and if it's a place where a small business in viable. My wife and I have thoughts about starting a pest control business(even though I have a F&B background and am presently making my living as a life coach/ my wife is a book keeper and local)

By the way; is it possible to add Curacao to your list of countries?  I put Aruba because it's the the closest

Welcome to the forums. Small businesses are possible everywhere, there are endless opportunities here.

I am not sure how big of an expat community there is in that area,  sorry!

There are a number of expats in the Jarabacoa area including Americans and Germans. You will also find some English-speaking Dominicans that lived in the US but have returned to the DR or travel frequently between both countries.

Although there is a lot of competition in the real estate business it does not require a significant investment to get started. Weekend classes are offered in Santo Domingo for those interested in learning the business. You would have an advantage  since you speak English. There is a lot of growth in real estate in the area due to Jarabacoa's natural beauty, proximity to Santiago (which has an international airport, hospitals, and shopping centers) and its cooler climate.

Super !,

I've actually considered this  option. Your tip on weekend courses is very welcome.
Thank you for your time.

Stephen