OFII Language Course requirements and Medical Exam

Hello,

I am soon to be the spouse of a French citizen with a Long Stay Visa for Spouse of a French Citizen (VST-TS in France)

Can anyone tell me

1. If the OFII decides that you are required to take a language course, are you OBLIGED to take their courses in the prefecture where you are registered, OR can you take any course you desire at the location you desire (aka online, with a private tutor etc)?

2. What happens in the OFII medical exam? Does it cost something? Details please!

Thank you so much!

Hi..

The answers..well as far as my own experience :

1. You are not obliged to go where they suggest you. The suggestion is just to help you getting to know the language if you do not know where to go.

2. They will do x-ray and ask for your vaccine book, if your vaccins are not up to date, they will send you to the doctor who will give you the vaccins you needed and it is free. If you do not have vaccine book, they will send you to a lab to do blood test, then wait for the result, then go to the dedicated doctor to receive the vaccine. You will have to pay the lab for the blood test. Around €30-40 if i could recall.

Good luck!

Gabrielle.

Thank you SO much Gabrielle! Could you please let me know your source(s) for this information? Was it your personal experience? Thanks for that too!

You are welcome.

This is my own experience. It was in 2012 or 2013 i couldn't remember.

I am now even still waiting for the prefecture to respon me about my residence permit renewal. I've been waiting since July last year !! Can you imagine that...

Good luck for all the process.. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask me.

I am getting conflicting information from the internet on whether I will be required to know the French language when I go for the OFII appointment. I am terrified that it has become a requirement. I was actually hoping I would have a better chance of learning while living there. Does anyone know the current requirements?  Thank you so much. Susan Prospere

Hello Susan.
As far as i know OFii do not require you to know the language before you come. They will instead guide you to knowing where to go to have your language courses for example : they will give some address of french courses. They even don't mind if you speak english on the days of the trainings, and there will be translator there too..
Don't worry, french language is not the one that you should be worried about. Unless you are going to apply for 10 years residence card and nationality.

Thank you so much. I want to learn but without pressure!  I have now seen that there are exemptions from the language requirement even for citizenship for people over 60. I will be 72 when I move in May. I think they recognize that it os more difficult with age. I made the highest grade in the whole of my high school in French and received an award but remember nothing now after years of not using it. I also took a private class at Allianz Francais but it was one night a week and I worked at least 60 hours a week until I was 71. It was hopeless. I really appreciate this forum.

I have another concern re the OFII medical exam. I had latent tuberculosis about 45 years ago and took the required pills for a year. I have had subsequent chest X-rays with no problem but apparently the latent TB shows up. What would anyone suggest re this situation?  I am fearful now that this could be grounds for a “failure” and don't know what the consequences might be. (I realize this question may be too esoteric but I don't want to sell my house and ship my household goods over if I am rejected.)

It's a good news for you then.
I hope everything goes well for your move and enjoy the french learning, i'm sure it will be easy for you to pick it up again once you are here and talking with the natives. I like this language too..

Hi!
I will be on the same boat as you soon and I was wondering if you could update this post when you find a language school.

I really want to improve my French, but the language schools that I have researched so far have been really expensive! Hoping to find one that is more reasonably priced!

Thank you,
Caitlin

Re latent TB: Do you have a statement from your doctor that explains it? If not, get one. I would get a translation of it as well (don't worry about it being official), and take it with you.
My medical interview was very laid back. For example, they asked about my vaccine records, but it was no issue at all that I didn't have proof. A lot depends on your region, of course.

Thanks so much. A couple of my doctor friends have since told me that it should't present as a problem. They said it will just be a calcification that could be caused by any infection but won't show as active (since it is not).  I can try that first. The doctor is long dead so there is really no one with records. I appreciate your help. Susan