Buying a new Honda PCX 150 M/C

Hey, I'm looking for a new Honda PCX 150, and can I find one? A little like rocking horse teeth me thinks.
Can anyone help with giving the details of an official Honda dealer who will;
1. Be helpful and even, maybe, offer me some answers to any questions I might have,
2. Not try to rip me off,
3. Not try to rip me off, &
4. Not play with their phone while I'm speaking with them.

I (my Vietnamese partner) has phoned a few of showrooms who will not give a price over the phone and will not really tell her if they have a stock or not, what!?!?
I'm in HCMC so a local dealer would be ideal, but, .............

No, no, I'm not frustrated by the saga at all, but any assistance (that is not going to cost me money) will be greatly appreciated :)

Unfortunately that's the way most of motorbike dealers do. They are not willing to sell via the phone (surprisingly).  The best way you can do that is checking a few address here:

https://hondaxemay.com.vn/cua-hang-honda-uy-nhiem/

I briefly checked and there was no PCX150 (just imported from Thailand). The price is about 110 millions VND.

Nguyen Tri Phuong Street - district 5 is highly recommended.

Cheers,

hondaxemaydotcomdotvn/cua-hang-honda-uy-nhiem/

Please see my post 1 January ...buying a new Honda.....had some help there from various replies
Google ( in English) ....Honda Saigon..there will be a map of various dealerships in Saigon...
In district 1....there are the following
On Tran Hung Day on the right hand side as you drive away from the city center
On Nguyen Trai
On Ly Tu Trong at the roundabout end
Also not shown on the map
District 8  on Pham The Hien between Pham Hung and Nguyen Thi Tien
District 4 on junction of khans hoi and hang dieu
Been to all the above over the last few days not looking for a pcx but sure I have seen one at some stage
Found that at each location the price of a bike is more or less the same the sales assistant was reading off a fixed price list so they should not rip you off.Myself will be buying at the location in in district 4  because they are the only location with the bike that is OK for me but also have been informed by my Vietnamese wife that her relative has bought at the first location in district 1 and they regularly phone her when it's time to change the oil so good with after service
Buying a basic bike myself  but sure you will find something at the above locations.
If you cannot find the locations I will be happy to meet up and show you around but my hire bike is going back to the owner tomorrow,will be buying a bike at the location I have mentioned above but will not be able to use it for perhaps a week until it is registered.If you wish to wait until then please message me.
Also please pay attention to the replys from the guys on my post,it's best to register the bike in your partners name,they are correct and the dealerships have said the same
Hopes this helps you out

Thanks for the info GarethUK, I will look in the options given, I am looking to purchase as soon as I see one. I'll update the post accordingly.
Thanks again to all for the suggestions, appreciated :)

Correction to my post yesterday,due to my lack of understanding of the Vietnamese language ,bought the bike I wanted at the location on Nguyen Trai which ,again a correction, is where my wife's relative bought hers,hence hope for good after service.
Did not se a pcx there but if you do viisit on the right hand side of the sales counter at the far end of the shop there is a fixed price list for their bikes
There are also 2 Honda locations in district 7.... see the Google map
Gareth

Consider this ..

If the bikes are rare over there, parts will probably be equally so, meaning you could have problems in the future.

A worthy consideration, O wooly one...

..but Honda have built a good reputation for reliability,
spares availability (and astronomical prices,)  so it is
really a case of Caveat Emptor: let the buyer beware...

..besides, it's a new model...   ..curb yer Jealousy!      :mad:

Fred wrote:

Consider this ..

If the bikes are rare over there, parts will probably be equally so, meaning you could have problems in the future.

This is a good point, but I tend to keep my M/C's well serviced through official dealerships, wherever I am. I don't know how much is truth or rumour, but it is said that the Honda market in Vietnam is totally flooded with Chinese copies, so the 'best' way to avoid ending up with a 'Chinese' bike is to use main dealers, but then, all you need is a corrupt manager (not too difficult here in Vietnam) and then it'll all go bent. Who knows really, we can only do what we think is best.

Bazza139 wrote:

A worthy consideration, O wooly one...

..but Honda have built a good reputation for reliability,
spares availability (and astronomical prices,)  so it is
really a case of Caveat Emptor: let the buyer beware...

..besides, it's a new model...   ..curb yer Jealousy!      :mad:

Due diligence (Caveat Emptor) is key, but, but, I say again. One can only do so much when making such a purchase. This is the reason I am only using Honda main dealerships. An element of trust and honesty must be maintained for the purchase. As crazy as it seems, I cannot even find a dealer with a test bike.

Well, parts are not so big problem, anything can be ordered...even for my bike they have pretty good stock of parts.. minus of course engine parts. But bearings, filters, brake pads and seals they do have.. well.. in big cities..
last year my mate had a flat tire near thanh hoa and it took us two hour to get new tire from thanh hoa.. it seems not all places keep stock of 180/55/17 ;)

I have bought two new Hondas over the past 5 years from Head Office Honda in D4.
I was not impressed with the attitude at any other dealership when I walked in them until I went to the Head Office so thats where I bought my first PCX 125cc bike.
On the ownership papers are both my Vietnamese partners name and my name beneath hers.
Now that the law has changed I now have my name on the ownership papers. Changed them with the police two weeks ago.
I bought my 2nd Honda Lead from Head Office for Kim as it has the most under seat storage of all the Hondas including the PCX.
Girls like storage for shopping.
To be honest that extra 25cc would be nice on the highway but it is not needed around HCMC to justify the almost double price of the 150cc model imported from Thailand over the locally assembled 125cc model.
Most of that price increase is import tax. Through the PCX CLUB of Saigon you can buy the 150cc and 175cc kits from Japan but I have forgotten the prices now.
It was something in the order of 14million dong for the 175cc kit.
The 150cc kit was a lot cheaper.
No showroom will let you test ride so I hired a PCX in Phuket while I was on holiday there and it convinced me it was the bike for Vietnam after I rode it only once over the Patong hill.
Hope this info is of some help to you.

I went into one of the HCMC dealers and started back to a group of men talking in the back of the show room and one of the guys gave me the side to side, NO hand signal.  I have a one finger answer to that, but I held my cool and turned and walked out.  I took my VN wife to another dealer and the women there would tell her the price, but really nothing else. 

My suggestion would be do all your research online and go in knowing what you should pay and already having all your answers.  I actually find the VN business people to be sharply raciest toward white faces and according to articles I have read they intend to over charge us.  Steve's Garage is a big dealer, requires appointments, but is an outsider who has become very successful here. He is kind of short with his answers, he is intelligent and knows it.  If you can put up with his short sharp answers he might be your best bet.

No, of course they won't give you a price over the phone because you're just price-shopping and wasting their time, but the official Honda dealers usually (or should) have a price list in the store. I studied the price list in the Honda Head branch on Nguyen Tat Thanh in D4 last time I was there but can't remember whether the PCX was included (so much for my 'studying').
I have them service my CBF150 and @150 and they generally do a good job, though no English is spoken (if theirs was any good they'd be in other jobs). You also have to double-check things like whether they have done up the chain adjuster nuts after replacing the chain and sprockets (none of those on the PCX, fortunately) or the throttle adjuster nuts after replacing the cable.
Still, the chief mechanic takes a personal interest in my unique CBF150, which I bought off an expat and haven't seen another example of in Saigon so far. They can't source a new air filter for it but other parts (clutch plates, brake pads etc) don't seem to be a problem. And a simple oil change costs 100k while you wait in the air-conditioned waiting room with a bottle of water and TV.
Give them a try, they seem to be the real deal.
Then again, if you know a bit about bikes (or know someone who does), you're better off buying second-hand, preferably from an expat who knows a bit about bikes and the advantages of regular servicing. The depreciation in the first couple of years on any vehicle bought new is massive.

Check the retail prices on the Honda website and then go to a MAIN dealer, like head.  They should look after you.  Do not expect a discount.  Head has great after-service too.  Good luck.

DirtyPierre wrote:

Now that the law has changed I now have my name on the ownership papers. Changed them with the police two weeks ago.

What law are you referring? That bike needs to be in your name? Or it is easier to get in your name?

When I bought the bike you could not have it in your name but only a Vietnamese persons name but Kim put my name under hers.
Now the law has changed and your name has to be on the Blue card.

DirtyPierre wrote:

When I bought the bike you could not have it in your name but only a Vietnamese persons name but Kim put my name under hers.
Now the law has changed and your name has to be on the Blue card.

Can you post that decree of change. I was aware you could get your name on a new bike's blue card if you paid tax on it and jumped through several hoops with the police.

Yes there was reams of paperwork and lots of photocopyibg of passport and my new creditcard style Vietnam drivers license but no tax as my name was already below hers on the ownership papers. Smart girl my Kim.

I cant provide any decrees etc I just listen to Kim when she tells me the law has changed.
If the police pull you over and your name is not on the blue card they can confiscate your bike.
This has always been the law but Vietnamese didnt want to pay the tax so they never changed the ownership papers.
Well the govt has clamped down on that practice.
That's the reason I went and put my PCX in my name entirely.
Total costs were under 200,000vnd
But I cant remember exactly because it was such an odd amount because every photocopy was like 4,000vnd each.
For example my new license cost 135k but mine really cost 148k because they add all the photocopying of passport and NZ license etc

I'm sure this system is at the mercy of the local police in each town and city.  :)

I'm about to buy a new bike in the countryside where my wife is registered, it will be interesting to hear their reply when I ask about this.

Just bought a bike at Honda  and they advised to register it in my Vietnamese wife,s name to stop the hassle with the coppers.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I have decided to wait until after TET to make the purchase, I have been told that the prices are hyped prior to TET and the delay will not make too much difference to my plans. That said, I have started to question if the PCX is actually worth 20 million more than the Air Blade, so I am looking at those now :)

"That said, I have started to question if the PCX is actually worth 20 million more than the Air Blade, so I am looking at those now"  :)

Well said:

Wheels are wheels, and get you where you wanna go.

Well too, if it's a Honda.   Reliable as, and common as dirt.

..but hey, what's  only 20 million extra..?   ..only USD$1,000...    :happy:

There is a huge difference in riding a PCX to every other bike.
And that is the handle bar position.
PCX was designed by Honda America for cruising.
The riding position was designed for Caucasians.
All other bikes in Vietnam are designed for Asian torsos.
Once you have ridden a PCX then get on a Blade you will immediately understand what I am taking about.

Gareth Uk wrote:

Just bought a bike at Honda  and they advised to register it in my Vietnamese wife,s name to stop the hassle with the coppers.

I attempted to purchase in Honda Head in D4 a week or so back, they told me I must make a cash payment, no cards are accepted (WHAT!?!?!), the bike will need to be in the girlfriends name as I am not local, but as my girlfriend is from Thanh Hoa province, the documents need to be sent there for processing/registration etc. Several hurdles later, I decided to put the deposit back in my pocket and leave the shop. The system is designed to cause as many problems as is humanly possible. I can now honestly see why the Vietnamese do everything they can to break the law, it's just easier that way.

Hi. Honda at 213 Nguyen Tri Phuong has a Black & Blue/Grey PCX150 Thai import. Was quoted 60trieu but not sure if that is on the road.

Regards

Mel

I'm also in the process of buying a bike. I want a new bike and i want the blue card in my name. U r right. It is doable but it is not an easy process. It requires a lot of things to b in place and a lot of paperwork. What a hassle.

#27 - QUOTE
The system is designed to cause as many problems as is humanly possible.
UNQUOTE

True. Most VN paperwork is the same. In fact, the staff in whatever office you go to invent additional 'problems' so that you have to pay them even more tea money to 'help you' overcome them.  If the staff sees a foreign face, the price immediately doubles. Which is why my wife does all the paperwork, while she sends me off to drink a bia hoi or two down the street.

Welcome to VN.

I was wondering about the other end of the line.  Is it still possible to buy a new 50CC Honda Cub but with the full diameter tires instead of the small tires I see short statured older ladies driving around on?