Building Homes in PR

What part of PR did you build?  Would you mind sharing info?

Chris and Richard can you share or private message the names of the builders/engineers you worked with?  TIA

I would appreciate any contacts for an architect/engineer. After looking for over a year on the west side of Puerto Rico we finally found  a lot on the S/W side in Yabucoa. We are eagerly waiting to start the building process.
Thank you

We purchased a lot in Yabucoa. We are eagerly waiting to start the building process. Any information on an engineer/architect would be greatly appreciated.

rrosar36 wrote:

I would appreciate any contacts for an architect/engineer. After looking for over a year on the west side of Puerto Rico we finally found  a lot on the S/W side in Yabucoa. We are eagerly waiting to start the building process.
Thank you

This is the architect I'm currently working with:

Eliza Burgos - ***

We have been working with Casa Bella to build our home.  We were modifying the floorplan for one of there models.  This process has been going on since July 2021.   We just received a text from Casa Bella telling us that the company needs to take a PAUSE because of high volume of work.  They are returning the money we sent them to revise the floor plan.  They could not tell me when they will be taking on more work.  I sent them a respond asking for more specifics including when we could expect them to take on new projects.

This is the second time that we have had floorplans not finished.  The first time was thru an architect on the island which wasted 2 years of our time.  Now prices have skyrocketed, and the builders are too busy to take on new clients.
Once again, we find ourselves at square one.  Since they never finished the plans we no longer have a floorplan. 

Does anyone have a builder that is taking on new projects?

That's horrible, sorry you're dealing with that. I may have time for one more build this year depending on scope of work. Happy to chat about your project. We are licensed through Daco and carry $1M liability insurance.

Jen, thank you for this contact. I will reach out to them.

That's horrible. I'm also dealing with Casa Bella but thankfully our plans got finalized. Hopefully we get to do our finance closing next week. However, I'm still stunned by the amount of time things get done in PR. It's extremely frustrating, i would have the house built already in the mainland!

PLease send me the information about builders in pr. I've been looking and am having a hard time finding one. I currently have the lot and the plans. Thank u!!

@Fburgos
Hello! I know this post is 4 years old. I would love to know how the house turned out and your experience with the contractor.
We are interested in potentially building a home in PR.
We appreciate all info you can provide us!!
Thank you in advance
@ReyP

Good day! Was wondering if you can advise on current new construction costs on the island.
Construction costs have gone up a lot from pre-pandemic times. Like everywhere.  Plenty of empty homes available.

@BoldConstructionPR PPlease send me contact info. I need an ingeneer to design our house in PR

For design you need an architect.

@adlin20 would you mimd sharing your contractor's info if he was any good? I'm looking to build as well and I never see any good reviews, so that fact that you love your house is a good sign.  Thanks!

Just out of curiosity. Couldn't one get floor plans in the mainland and then try searching for a reputable construction company on the island once you're ready to build? Just asking.
Just out of curiosity. Couldn't one get floor plans in the mainland and then try searching for a reputable construction company on the island once you're ready to build? Just asking.
- @fredicastro

In theory yes. But most plans for mainland homes have different set ups for plumbing, electrical, walls, materials and foundations.

Concrete homes will be different. If you are just talking about the layout than you can easily do that.

@Live2sparkle Where can you find companies that would sell you a kit to build? Also, do you need to use a licensed contractor in PR? My partner is an engineer here in NY and we are looking at lots to purchase to move in 4 years and need to find information to start the process.

@ReyP Hello Rey do you know any companies that sell these kits? Also, do you need to use a licensed contractor to build if you are an engineer by trade?

@islandmetro     Ive found many companies that have kits to build homes here in Puerto Rico.   Many of them are way out of our budget but...  We really like Casas Borincana in Hatillo.  And Casas mi Anhelo.  Here's a good article about those 2 companies and some others.  https://www.attainablehome.com/best-mod … erto-rico/

Thanks, it was an idea, my partner and I can build ourselves, he is an engineer and architect but was curious about it.

@Tori Mac casa borinquen do have some great material prices but from what I've heard the materials are usually short and not the best quality. I have no personally built one of their homes but this was told to me by my foreman who has been building on the island for 20+ years.

@islandmetro there is casas borinquen and also casa mi edén. You should not have any problems as a homeowner builder as long as local regulation is followed. Best of luck!

@BoldConstructionPR

Do you build on the east side of the island? We are looking at land in Naguabo and Humacao and would love to start building next year. We are also fluent in Spanish.

@adlin20 read your post could you give me some starting tips on how to start searching for royal trustworthy contractors to build my retirement home in Puerto Rico.

I am new to this forum. I am assisting my uncle who lives in Aguadilla, PR in determining cost to build a new bathroom (previous bathroom was destroyed due to the hurricane). What is the average cost for the  a new bathroom, length of time for build and any recommendations for contractors in his town (Aguadilla). I thank you in advance for your recommendations & advise.

I don't have a breakdown but I'm sure others can weigh in.

@cielo0781 really depends on how much needs to be rebuilt. If you have a photo I can give you a rough idea. Also, is the original plumbing intact?

@ReyP

hi

your post is very informative. Would you be able to suggest a places to buy materials . And names of contractors if you know or know someone who may know any ,, I'm trying to find the best choice to go by

thank you

Laura

@lauriabalauriabarca,

Are Casabella prices similar to what they post on their website? Do they really take care of permits, materials, and building the structure? What model did you choose? I'm looking at building in Naguabo.

@raalma2000 check your message box.

@diamonds27 I just provided another member info on a contractor and his company in Naguabo area.  I have family there and my mom grew up there as a child, so I'm familiar. If you're still looking to build there,, let me know.. I can provide you the company info,, you can also check out their work on IG.

Hello mkvergaras,

Do not hesitate to recommend the contractor in the Puerto Rico business directory. 1f601.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl done.  Thank you.

@raalma2000 have you considered sustainable building? With approved new to the market and tested.

@raalma2000 Sorry for the delay...I don't check here regularly.

I already did the closing with the bank last month but we have yet begun our construction with CasaBella.

I can not understand how SLOW and inefficient companies work in PR. It's extremly frustrating to just get to this point after almost 2 years!!! It seems that there is ALWAYS an excused plus everyone is always out of the office.

Needless to say; I just found out on Monday that WE are responsible for the preparation (leveling) and clean up of the land prior to CasaBella can begin construction. They said it was in our contract....I guess we overlooked that part plus they failed to point it out during the last couple of years of communicating back and forward.

I am looking for a few estimates for "preparacion del terreno" so that I can even think of beginning the construction. Also, one week ago we were told that the engineer had to resize the "footers" which was going to cost us a total of $3,250. for the redesign. I am praying that we can move forward without any more surprises!!!! They say they are a "full service" that handles all aspects of construction but so far that has not been the case. I have bought two other new built in Virginia and I never had to deal with so much...that's what I called "full service".

We ended up choosing the Modelo Roxy III with some updates.

I hope that helps :-)

Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated.

@lauriabarca thank you for the details.  It does sound very frustrating.  I had my own home in the states built and never encountered all the delays you're mentioning either.   My builders were completely full service.   I always do involve an attorney as 2nd pair of eyes to review documents and make sure I didn't miss anything.   2 years is an extremely long wait for construction to begin.  I hope everything moves along for you, going forward.  Please keep us posted. Greatly appreciate your feedback

@mkvergaras Thank you very much. Will keep you all posted.