Building in Puerto Rico

Good Day,

Thank you in advance for your helpful information. My wife and I are wanting to build our forever retirement home. We have purchased a lot and looking to start the process with an architect/engineer. We interviewed the first engineer over the phone and we thought his prices were high. He quoted us over $38,000 to get started with the plans, plus anywhere from $18,000-$36,000 to inspect the site once a month during construction. Plus permit cost and the cost for a dirt report/inspection. This all seems rather expensive for getting the project started and then comes the construction cost.
Would you be so kind to give us some sort of an idea of cost for a 2100-2300 sq ft home? Possibly a 4 bedroom with 2 bath?
Also are the construction prices the same for unfinished area such as garages and patios?

Thank you.
Rick R

Materials and labor you should expect to be around $400,000-$450,000(depending on finishes). Low end, if you find someone unlicensed who is doing the work themselves you should be around $150/SF finished but I'm sure you've heard the horror stories on the island with contractors. Most reputable licensed companies start at $190/SF for standard finishes and $225-$250 for mor custom finishes. Of course everything will depend on your final design.

Prices have increased for sure, but this dramatically? We built in 2019/20 and paid $85 per square foot.  We paid extra to replace standart materials (tiles, lamps, bathroom fixtures etc) with nicer ones.
Our engineer charged $17000. You need to interview many engineers and builders to find the right one.
This is why I want to build a shipping container home! Does anyone have any experience doing this? If so, any info re cost and which company you used on the island would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, Chris can I ask what did you build your house with concrete, GCT ? What builder did you 
use ? Thank you, Ken

Hi Chris and  thank you for sharing. My wife and I are also planning our retirement home in Yabucoa. Both of our families live in Morovis and Ciales. We searched several parts of the island and picked the SE part for it's mountainous beauty. We are in the process of picking an engineer. But like anything this important it is wise to get referrals. We have talked with 3 engineers. Prices for an approximate 2000-2200 square foot CInder block/concrete home has been $38,000 plus $3000 a month to inspect, $30,000 and $16,000. As you can see a wide range in pricing. We have been given a wide rang of construction prices. Anywhere from $250-150 a square foot. Our biggest challenge is not being familiar or having referrals for engineer s and contractors. 
If there is anything you can share along these areas, we would greatly appreciate your kindness in sharing.
Thank you.

If you use an Architect, they work off an industry standard fee, it is about 10-12% for design and plans. They should give you a good idea of the construction cost. Prices of higher end homes are skyrocketing. This creates demand for builders, when there is demand prices increase. Last year homes in the US went up about 25-30%. 

I too am building and am near finalizing plans. My construction costs are now estimated around, 275 per sq ft, that means another $25 per sq for the architect, then there is the permits, I'm told $6, per thousand. If you have an engineer inspect the work another $3k per month, then the land. If you are budgeting for a higher end home. Yes, I had to have a soil survey, and another $10k for the Architectural review board.

With my property I now estimate the final cost at about $400 per square ft. 
@William Cameron wow!!  I know they say the costs of materials and lack of workers is driving the price up.  But that increase is incredible!!  I wonder if the prices will start to decrease now that things are seemingly returning back to normal.

Did you chose higher end materials for your home?  Do you think the town one builds in matters?  

@Chris1304 my husband and I are looking to have a 3000 sq. Ft. house built in or near rincon.  Can you please provide me with any info you have on good trustworthy contractors.

@Chris1304 can you please share the info on any reputable contractors you have.  My husband and I are looking to build our home in rincon or close to it. I've heard some horrible things about people getting ripped off and I don't want that to happen to us.  Thank you in advance.

@Sharon Shay I'm in the process of building in Aguadilla. Its a very very slow process. Make sure the contractor is licensed and registered with DACO. Do not give a huge down payment break up the payments for each phase. The main problem right now is the lack of workers. Let me know if you want my guys contact. Take care good luck

We are currently building in Cabo Rojo. I ditto what G1977 has to say. It is a VERY slow and tedious process. Be patient but persistent. Our building supply company was very helpful in finding suitable builders for us. Also, you can ask your engineer who they work with.  For an example, our payouts for our builder are broken down into 10 or 12 phases. We just started phase 1 this past week. We are two years into the process of finding and hiring a builder, etc.....three years in from when we first bought our lot.

@shapeyoursuccess if you can get your permits and all paperwork approved prior to finding your contractor this will definitely help them speed up the process! Definitely find someone you trust to get the job done, rushing that decision can be disastrous.

worksbyserralles.com

inhouseeverything. Ponce área. Tell them Eusebio sent you. Incredibly professional and detailed.

@William Cameron That is RIDICULOUS! I don't know how to put this nicely, but they may be taking advantage because you are a "foreigner". We are currently getting estimates to build by the beach on the east side of the island and we are at about $150 - $200 per sq ft (ALL IN). And this is with the higher priced construction companies we have spoken to (all registered and licensed through DACO).

Also, not sure if the area of the island makes a difference (you are on the west side), but we are building in a prominent area on the east side.

I am on the east side, Palmas Del Mar.

I know several homes that have been given estimates of $300 and more and I am purchasing a home, the appraiser used $358 per sq fit for his cost basis analysis.

But, good for you.

@diamonds27 can you share who your builder is?

@diamonds27  Hi, can you forward me the builder's information? I"m building soon in Manati. Thanks

@diamonds27  every build is different. It all depends on finishes, construction type, soil type, and layout.

$150 sounds insanely cheap unless you have a very simple build with limited finishes. That price point will likely lead most contractors to run out of money during the project. $180 is more reasonable for most simple builds.  I've also quoted over $1,000/SF, this project had over $2M in glass alone. So not possible to look at a sf price and say if it's outrageous or not. The entire scope needs to be looked at.

@William Cameron hey William, $300/SF is extremely reasonable for your build. Your build is not a simple box like most others on the island. Tons of glass and very complex build. If someone's doing it for $300/SF I would pull the trigger with them. That's a very fair build price.

@Chris1304 thank you! Do you mind sharing who you used? I'm in a similar situation. I just got a quit and for 2,000 sqf home it's about $400k. I think that is outrageous.

@G1977 hi!  My name is Maggie.  I too am looking to build in Aguadilla and would appreciate your contacts info and number if you don't mind. I'm actually flying there this coming weekend for the Holidays.  I'm actually looking to build an extension on our family home by adding a 2nd floor.  I would greatly appreciate your Resources and contacts as I really need someone reputable. I'm hearing horror stories on Contractors and the process.  I do have my own floor plans to start with, but need the Resources needed to get started.  Have you began your build yet? Thank you in advance for any info you can kindly provide. Gracias

Maggie  V.

@William Cameron We lived in Palmas for 6 months 2020-2021. It is a beautiful area. I could see why the price would be more in Palmas.

Hope everything is working out for you!! We are still on the hunt. Things are VERY slow on the island! LOL

@BoldConstructionPR We should connect. We just purchased another piece of land and now looking to build two homes. The whole process in PR is extremely frustrating. Started speaking to 3 builders and all are now not available due to labor shortages. They are all backed up almost a year. Really difficult to get anything done.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Advertising own services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Pedro Marrero71 hello  we are looking for a builder.  can you please share you company/contact info? thanks!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Advertising your services is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

I would like to point out that professionals should not use the forum to promote their own services. They can freely register in the Construction and renovation in Puerto Ricoof the business directory.

Only genuine recommendations from members are allowed on the forum.

Regards

Bhavna

@shapeyoursuccess Hi! We are also going to build in Cabo Rojo and are in the bidding process with builders.  We have about 3-5 quotes in process and we are building a pre-fab home.  I see that you mention that its taken a few years for you to find a builder.  Have you found one yet?  Any recommendations?  Have you worked with the permitting office there?  Any advice is greatly appreciated 😊

@diamonds27 Hi, can you please share the names of the contractors you used/know? I'm building in Maunabo, and it has been a challenge to get workers.

Also, anyone knows of anyone who does stamped concrete?  Thanks in advance for any and all information!

@shapeyoursuccess  Any updates?  We are also building in Cabo Rojo.