Renovating a house in PR

Hi everyone!  I am back on here.  We went to PR in November and even though we got rained on just about every day we still loved it and are now considering buying our vacation home there.  I've stalked Zillow and Points2Homes for weeks and have lots of favorites saved that I am sharing with my real estate agent over there who is helping us.  But some of the places we see are very outdated but have great ocean views.  All I really care about is the view but we would still want the place updated to our liking.  Just trying to get an idea of how renovations down there would go....say for a kitchen, counters, tile, cabinets, etc.  Curious to see if this is something we can have done from afar or do we need to be there to oversee?  I know everything is done on island time so trying to figure out if we could really consider a house that needs updating since we are not local or if we need to find one that already meets our interior design style.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

They need to be allowed in to measure, then they can talk to you about cabinets, stove location etc. Pictures and materials may differ some in color and you have to be very clear on every detail and make sure the contract has everything listed exactly. There is the possibility that chipped or scratches may be present that you may not see after you come back.

I am not the trusting kind.

In this same vein, does anyone here have experience with repairs to a concrete roof?d  We are looking at a house that has some damage (although not yet leaking) .  How are these repairs done and are they expensive?  We would be contracting to have the work done...

Ann

annabfalter wrote:

In this same vein, does anyone here have experience with repairs to a concrete roof?d  We are looking at a house that has some damage (although not yet leaking) .  How are these repairs done and are they expensive?  We would be contracting to have the work done...

Ann

They basically use a power washer, then look for cracks and repair those, next they use this white plastic like paint.  Cost fluctuate based on roof size and repairs, you are looking at 3-9k.
Should be done every 3 years or so as maintenance. You can do it yourself for a few hundreds.

If bad...... a new roof is poured on top of the current one.

annabfalter wrote:

Ann

Found these folks online some time ago.  I have no experience with them, and can offer no recommendation for or against.

http://gwconstructionpr.com/services/roofing/

My roof was in similar condition - not sealed for years, leaking in some spots.   The roofer I hired power washed the roof and then covered it with a rubber/aluminum rolled membrane applied with hot tar / torch.

Seems to have sealed the roof fine, had some residual seepage but is good now.

Any other advice on renovations?  How long does it take in comparison to the states?  Does a 3 week job here take 2 months there?  Curious to know if we should consider renovations or not.  Thanks!!

I will say if the contractor tells you a week, plan for 2-3 weeks. Specially during rain season. Don't fork money up front or it will take longer and stay on top of it.
I'm not saying all contractors are bad, but just like in the states, you have to be careful who you hire. Best advice is to talk to your neighbors or local hardware store. Ask who they can recommend.

Roof maintenance has to be done sooner or later, it is the rule for concrete roofs. You should try to get an extimate before you make the offer. The cost should be taken into consideration when deciding one property over another and their price difference. Adjust your offer based on the cost of the repair plus 20% to be on the safe side.

You need to be here or hire someone you trust like family to oversee things. Mainly to make sure you are getting the right materials installed and that shortcuts aren't being taken.

My in-laws had their kitchen/dining room renovated a year ago. They had all the old cabinets and flooring ripped out, new cabinets, plumbing, sinks and tiled installed (extended to the LR) - everything looks great now and cost them around 10k, that includes the fridge and stove. 

BUT during the install, one of the workers turned ON the water main before they left leaving a slow leak in the kitchen. In laws woke up at 3am to a few inches of water coming all the way to the back of the house. Imagine if there had been a live wire in the water and they stepped in it? Needless to say, they had a lot of warped doors and hours of work for a pair of septuagenarians. The only reason we found out (they never complain about anything) is because on our last visit we noticed a huge brand new water pump. They got it after the fact in case it ever happened again. Apparently it took them 5 hours to clean everything up.

I just did my roof a couple of month ago.  We had a couple of leaks, found them and gouged out the cracks and filled them with roof sealant, then pressure washed the roof which took about 2 days then used Gidden hydrosteel 9900 $140.00 per 5 gallons put it on with a roller it goes on blue then dries white.  We have had a couple of good rain storms and no leaks.

I will plan to be there or have someone I trust there. After all is your house and your money. No one will protect it but you.

All is possible, island time is about the same as mountain time (found that when redoing a Colorado home).   I bought a dated home in Aguada mountain with ocean view...as an interior designer I can change anything in a home but can't change the views God gives (or man messed up)!   Found all the products we needed for construction and all the trades people after a little research.   Finding what works in that climate/environment/construction system is key.   The design options are more limited than they are near my Texas practice but love the beautiful interior that now compliments the exterior.     If you end up in Western PR will share any recommendations I have found...

chtxmls wrote:

If you end up in Western PR will share any recommendations I have found...

Hi Chtxmis,  where in western PR?  We live in Hatillo, returning in Jan.  Would like to share contacts.

I am looking to buy my grandfathers down there and I know it needs some work. Not sure as to the extent of it but I know the roof needs work. Any recommendations on where to go if I am able to acquire the house would be greatly appreciated as well. It's in the Rio Grande area. Eastside of the island near El Yunque.

We are looking to build on 2 empty lots (each is about 1 acre), however, we need a company to build a security wall/fence in the property. Any suggestions in the Rio Grande area? Any home builders with existing plans that anyone can recommend for that area as well?

@annabfalter Yes, it's very expensive. I would highly advise you to do your research and make sure you that you hire someone reputable.
I purchased a home not long ago and the roof was in terrible need of repairing. I hired someone to do the job. He quoted me $5,650 so I went ahead with the project. Long story short, he ripped off. He didn't REPAIR the roof, he simply pressure washed and applied a sealant. I had to call him back several times to fix the problem. There were several pools of water on the roof that had accumulated from the rain. So much so that you could see the reflection of the sky and of my neighbors two story home. I had to call him back yet again and he had the audacity to get upset. He was supposed to come back to fix the problem but, needless to say, he never returned. I had to find someone else to do the job and paid an additional $6,300. The second person was excellent! He took videos and pictures of the previous "work" and gave me a full explanation of how he was going to correct and repair what the other individual had botched. I liked him so much that I've kept him on to work on other repairs and new projects. If you come across a business called FeEnEl (Faith In Him), send them packing. I also installed new plumbing with this company and they didn't do a good job with this either. I only get water in one of the bathrooms. Next month (August) when I return to 🇵🇷 I will need to find another plumber to get the job done correctly. Who knows how much it's going to cost me. Ask around. Ask for references and make sure you do your due diligence.

@fredicastro   What a story! I hope from now on it will be smooth and easy. Could you share the name of a guy or a company whom you liked? Thanks!

@taryna
I would highly recommend going through your local Home Depot for some of your renovations. It's very difficult to find reliable people who will come to work everyday until the job is completed (for any renovations). Not impossible just very very difficult. Also, I would highly recommend that you be there to oversee your renovations or have someone who you trust completely and that they know EXACTLY how you want things done. Depending on where you're located I was fortunate and blessed to have found an excellent electrician who rewired my whole house and installed a new panel. PLUS, he came to work everyday which is almost unheard of when you're planning on any type of renovations. Needless to say, I was ecstatic  it was almost like I found the last unicorn 🦄 😁😆😂 Good luck on your renovations. I've been renovating the house that I purchased for the last 18-24 months... I've lost all track of time. Oh, and whatever you do, do not put in wood or wood products in your kitchen (home) the termites are sure to destroy your investment. Best wishes and good luck to you.
@QuantUmLaara
Where are you located? I'm in Sábana Seca/Toa Baja. If you need an electrician I can highly recommend the gentleman who rewired my entire house and installed a new panel. A very responsible and reliable gentleman. I can also share the info for the person who finally fixed my roof after he has completed all the extra projects he's currently working on. Unfortunately, that's what you'll need to do... once you find someone who does good work don't let them go.
@fredicastro  Hi if you can refer your electrician, I would appreciate it.
          Regards, Ken

@ny7repair I've sent you a pm with his name and number.

Hi everyone, I'd love to get referrals to contractors who can convert a studio into a one-bedroom. In San Juan. Thanks!

Hello, has anyone worked with Five Star General contractor in San Juan?

@fredicastro  Hi, can you share the name of your roofer?  We need to re do a roof for my mother in laws home in Caguas, GRACIAS!