Best gated beach front communities on the western side of Puerto Rico?

Are there any gated communities on the western side of Puerto Rico that have beach access?  I was thinking of the Rincon area, but either north or south of that area should be fine too. 

I'm looking for a nice place to rent that's in the $1500 a month range. 

I also want to make sure it is in a safe community, especially since I will be moving there with my wife and two young children next year.

I'm planning to make a scouting trip this summer so any tips you can provide will be most appreciated!

thanks so much,
David

Check out Palmas del Mar on the southeast corner of the island.  It's in a city named Humacao.  Palmas is a gated community with a private security company, many restaurants, a school, golf courses, beach front, etc.  There are properties there to rent in the price range you you listed.  Not sure where you will be working but it's a nice place if Humacao is not too far from your job. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tony.  Thankfully, I'll be working from home so all I'll need is a good internet connection.  I hate fighting traffic.

I've heard Palmas del Mar mentioned before and the website makes the community look fantastic.  Is there nothing like this on the west coast?

David

Not sure about the west coast.  I hear Mayaguez is really nice but haven't been there yet.  Regarding internet, I'm in the same boat, it's really important to my business.  We have Liberty cable for internet and it is pretty reliable.  The challenge is, like on most islands I've been to, power outages do occur.  I use mobile hot-spots from AT&T and T-Mobile as a backup, so I always have internet when I need it.

I looked at most everything that was available in a gated community on the entire island. Nothing came close to Dorado Beach, a Ritz Carlton Reserve. Its about 30 minutes west of San Juan.
This is a private gated community consisting of 1400 acres with everything from private homes to Plantation Village (condo's) to Ritz Carlton Reserve Residences which feature beachfront homes and condos.  Lots of security and a great sense of being in a very safe environment. I purchased a home on West Beach three weeks ago.
Also, a swiss based private school named TASIS for pre kindergarten thru high school kids is less than 10 minutes away.

I have personally stayed at Palmas del Mar.  It is a wonderful community.  I highly recommend it.  They also have free wifi with multiple connections to log into for a better connection.   We are planning on moving to PR in 2015-2016 and Palmas del Mar is high on our list of areas.  I haven't visited the west coast.

Palmas del Mar and Dorado are solid choices.

Dorado is in my opinion the absolute best place to live in Puerto Rico.  Close enough to San Juan that you can take care of business, yet just far enough from the hustle and bustle.

NomadLawyer wrote:

Palmas del Mar and Dorado are solid choices.

I would like to ask the original question. Maybe someone knows-
Are there any gated communities on the western side of Puerto Rico?

Places which can be "solid" even during the next destructive hurricanes or storms. Places, which are not too close to the ocean, or high enough above the sea level, or didn't have flood issues previously.  :D

No gates communities in the west, like gringo only communitys. You can find 2 or3 in cabo rojo. But you aren't going to find any gates communities on the island where you are paying $1500 a month.  As stated about those a popular in dorado or humaco.
Why move here if that's the type of living you are looking for?

Check out  Golf Y Playa in Cabo Rojo.  This is a gated hacienda/condo community.
Club Deportivo Oeste.  We're happy with it.

jzavoli wrote:

Check out  Golf Y Playa in Cabo Rojo.  This is a gated hacienda/condo community.
Club Deportivo Oeste.  We're happy with it.

This is a fancy and famous golf course! It is even got to wikipedia!

Does anyone know some other neighborhoods in west PR and not with the high maintenance fees?
Why would one prefer neighborhoods is that there are usually covenants there and people don't build something absolutely crazy next to you and possibly may ruin neighbors' properties value.

sandrarduncan wrote:

No gates communities in the west, like gringo only communitys. You can find 2 or3 in cabo rojo. But you aren't going to find any gates communities on the island where you are paying $1500 a month.  As stated about those a popular in dorado or humaco.
Why move here if that's the type of living you are looking for?

Isn't use of the word "gringo" hostile?  :)
If you are talking about the whole island, then actually, there are gated neighborhoods with much lower fees than $1500 a month.
Yes, it looks like Dorado and Humaco are popular, but I believe that they are hugely overpriced and overbuilt. Also, historically these areas were flooded and I would like to live without this risk, because I already have lived through one flood and it was very devastating.
In general, there are too many people already in PR. Not sustainable. Many beach properties contribute to beach erosion. The government unfortunately didn't step up at the right time and prohibited building too close to the beaches which are actually gradually disappearing because of the water rise.

Were you NOT looking for a gated community on water?  Your post is a bit confusing.
It is a gated oceanfront community, with a golf course. However you can rent for $1500 per month... even less.

jzavoli wrote:

Were you NOT looking for a gated community on water?  Your post is a bit confusing.
It is a gated oceanfront community, with a golf course. However you can rent for $1500 per month... even less.

Thank you for your recommendation. We can certainly look into this option, though we prefer to stay further away from the water. Sometimes it is possible to be on a hill and see the ocean from a distance.

Not for a west side , preferably Rincon job location!  I live near Palmas and its great.  Probably this guy doesn't want a 3+ hour commute each way no longer how great!