Property prices in France

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in France is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in France?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

I have been living the dream as they say .....for 9 years.
Changing, careing and loving this big beautiful property
in this splendid region of Gironde sitting on one side of the river
and watching the world go by on the other side.
We grow grapes in our region and  we provide for the most romantic
weddings ever.
I provide accommodation for foodies who want to stay somewhere
a little stylish.
St Emilion.....Libourne and Monbazilliac way.....nowhere more dreamy
and green.

We kept our search to the south west quarter of France, for quiet country villages, better weather, fewer people, better prices. Drove all over and looked at a load of houses, we were really looking for a country house that was structurally sound, and habitable but we could do it up to our taste. Not one that had been done up English style with PVC windows . Found one we liked in Poitou Charente but the land around it was flat dry boring. Ended up in Haute Vienne, in a maison de maitre on the edge of a small town, but with a two acre garden. Not what we intended but we are do glad we took that decision!  I can walk to town, supermarkets, doctors, hospital etc, or get to Limoges in half an hour and Poitiers in 50 mins, or beautiful countryside in minutes!

If you want to see go to our home page http://www.bellacmaison.com/

Due to useless, incompetant, so called solicitor in Englnd we are still awaitign a complition date. We had intended to be in France by now but until we get a date we are trapped in limbo. We plan to rent somewhere then further explore over the next few months and find the area we really wish t settle in. Somewhere in the western side of France but not right on the coast is what we are looking for.

What we are looking for is a place with a bedroom and bath/shower on the ground floor and no or if any few steps to get into the place. A bungalow would be ideal. With 2 or 3 beddrooms and a room for Mothers hobby stuff and a garden that she can access so again with few  or no steps. Here in Lincolnshire we have 6 acres and we do not want nor need so much land now but a resonable size garden is a must.

I must say we found a likely place to rent in  which start our search and sent enquiries but so far have no reply. Seems they do not want us as clients!

I am living in Lyon, France and in terms of renting, I feel like the prices a lot cheaper than those found in the South of England. Maybe it is a different story when you compare these prices to the neighboring countries like Spain & Italy.

Lyon is quite an affordable city, as long as you don't want to live in the popular areas. The most expensive arrondissements that I noticed were the 6th and the 5th (Brotteaux & Vieux Lyon) but obviously you can find affordable housing everywhere; if you look hard enough.

The cheaper places are around the outside of the city in Villeurbanne and the 9th/8th.
I am living in Villeurbanne and I pay 400 euro a month of rent for really nice shared flat which I think is a very good price!

Because the city has such a good public transport system, it is not a huge disadvantage to live on the outside of the centre. The metro runs until late and there are buses that can take you anywhere. There is even the Velov bike system!

Yes, How much did your hose cost?  Is there a McDonalds nearby?  How much does beer cost and coffee.   What would i do all day?  Any Library's?    How far to the Mediterranean Sea are you.  What is the country side like.  Can I do my landscape photography hobby?   What about nature and flowers and a garden?  Could I grow a pumpkin?    Just questions.  Thanks.  John Hoepfner

Hi Hoepfner,

If you need to have a McDo (as French say) nearby, you have to live in a middle to big town.
What would you do all day ? Answer is : up to you. If you do like to have Entertainment at hand, again living in or around a town is a good option.
You can get a beer for 1.5 $ in a village up to 4 $ downtown. For a coffee it's 1$ up to 2$.

Have you ever considered Montpellier ?  This is a thrilling city, with a nice hinterland for you photographying and an easy access to the Mediterranean sea. Most cities in that area might seem dull for expats during winter, but Montpellier does not.
Thanks

Christian

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : link removed - no free ads here please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey thanks.   I am really just dreaming.  Hate to bother you.   But do you know of any small villages in the country 50 K from Nice, France?    John

PS  I live in Wisconsin....a small city Names Appleton, WI

Hi John,

No worries. Dreamers are most welcome as they change the world, and their life. I saw Appletons is surrounded by plains. This is not the case with Nice. You either live on the coast, an overcrowded area where European and Russian rich and famous have their nests, or in the wonderful mountains to the North. It's quieter, climate is still warm and dry and there are a lot of  nice small villages there. I know a lot of them but I could not say which one is the nicest. Why 50 k ? Around Nice, distance is irrelevant as in summer trafic is a nightmare and in the mountains, 20k can take 45 mn. Time is the relevant criteria.
As for pumkins, I am not sure...
And sorry for the post, the moderator did not allow it. You can visit my oldstonesblog anyway. This is not ad, just sharing my experiences.

Best regards,

Christian