Living in Algeria

You are living in Algeria, or you used to live in Algeria.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Algeria?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Algeria?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Algeria?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Dear ALL,

Please let me know the cost of living per month for a bachelor in algeria with accommodation & Transportation and without it.

algeria is very dificult place ,the only law is call money,only friend is call mum and dad,the only food is cuscus ,...dont go theare

Thanks,

I know but I want to go, there is more than that (-:  Do you know anybody there?

Hi,
I am french and Algerian, grew up in France and spent a few years in London. We have moved to Algiers in September 2008. My husband and I both work and our kids go to a private Algerian school where they learn French and Arabic.

Algiers can look like a complex city to live in and particularly to settle in. However, with time, you learn how to read and understand the people and the city.

Compared to other North African countries, accomodation is rather expensive but it depends on where you want to live in the city. If you want to live in the secure neighborhoods such as Hydra where all embassies are and most foreigners live, then it is gonna be very expensive. Personnaly, I think that it is not worth it. It s a total ripp off. I don't  think that it is much nicer than the rest of the capital. Ok, you ll have more cafes or restaurants in Hydra but...
Here are some examples of rather safe and lively quarters: El Biar, Ben Aknoun, Alger Centre (Telemly, le Golf, Bir Mourad Rais).... It should be cheaper to rent there and cheaper to live there as well (shops, buthcheries, clothes, markets....). You will find nurseries and schools (french & english). May I just give you an idea of monthly rent rates, depending on area and size from 25,000 up to 100,000 DINARS (Euros 250 to 1000). note that, very often you ll be asked to pay one year rent in advance. There are more and more estate agents who can help in the search.

As for transportation,public transports are rather cheap but not very reliable.
For everyday life expenses, I d say for a bachelor expect to spend up 30,000 DINARS for food (probably less than that) a month if you eat in normal places (not 5 star hotels) or even buy your own food to cook. 
Quality clothes and shoes are mostly imported and therefore more expensive than in Europe. Personnaly, I buy my clothes and my kids' when I go to Europe. But you ll find everything you need here !

I hope that I have helped you.

Samira

NB: One last detail, the lack of public transport especially for the outskists of the capital. You ll realise very quickly that you need a car.

Hi all,

As I discovered, obtaining Algerian visa is similar to the process of getting one from Russia.  One needs an invitation from an Algerian who owes a property there.

I would very much appreciate if anybody there can assist and I will be happy to reciprocate

Sydney J (-:

Hi Samira. My name is Motaz Ali and I am an Indian. I should be coming to Algiers next month alone and then will plan to bring in my family later. I wish to know if there is any good English School for my Daughter who is 10 years young & my son who is 8 years young. Also if there is any what sylabus they follow and how goods is the education please.

Dear AliMotaz,
The only private English school I know of is Hopeland Academy who follow the Algerian curriculum with a Montessori philosophy. They are based in Cheraga / Sidi Fredj / Bouchaoui.
Samira may know of others but I have many English speaking friends in Algiers and it has been a problem for them finding anywhere else. If you need more information you can personal message me.
For other information I have just posted a reply on the 'Costs of Living' post. I agree with Samira (Hi Samira!) that a car is essential and that although you can find almost everything you need to survive here, if you're looking for good quality things they are better brought with you (clothes, electrical items etc)

Hi!!
i'm planning to came over the next year to joing my boyfriend.

Could you give me some impressions about the life in alger? expecially for a women? i have already understand that i'll absolutly need a car, no prob for that.
But how does it go the rest?

Living in algeria is great with weather changing very unpredictably . stapel food is the long french bread and cuscus with pottato

While Samira's reply was very written and helpful, I have to disagree on living around Alger center or Ben Aknoun (etc)While these places are closer to downtown Alger, no safer or cheaper.

Rentals are high(about 50,000dinar per month) in these areas ... moving little further out like Cheraga, Zeralda or even Staouali you will find it cheaper, safer, less crowded and all around more pleasant.

I am living in Algeria now, as an expat with a family - around Cheraga ... happy to answer any questions.

Hello every body,

Algeria is not as people are thinking, you have all the security and the safety that you need, and believe me, it is not much more dangerous than chicago or san fransisco :]

accomodation is not a problem if you are expatriate there, you salary will be incredible, and in general, companies are providing appartments or flats, in safe areas, near to helpful places, where you can shop.

Algerian people are nice, specially with european or american people, a big part of the population is speaking French and English, you can meet nice people, friendly, and funny, having friends won't be a problem for you.

the only matter there; is that you don't have a lot of places in which you can fun, only 03 modern night club in Algiers, but a lot of restaurants and amazing coffees.

you will also notice two different parts of people:
- a part which is really conservative, extremly religious, and living in a world appart.
- a second part which totally different and so open minded.

a car is recomended to move there, not so much traffic but not enough public transporting.

the amazing thing about algeria is that in one country, you will discover different culture and traditions, desert, seas, mountains, snow, a lot of historical places, but always be with algerian people or at least people knozing well the country, it is huge and you can loose your way back.

You can go to Oran, a city of fun, an Algerian taste of fun.

the police is helpful with the foreigners, it is better to go there for problems if any, if you are european or american, act like european or american, dress like you are used to, talk like you are used to, and you will be in security cause they will respect you and they gonna try to give the best image of their country.

alcohol is not forbiden, you can drink and by alcohol to take away, totally different from the country where I am now.
for the food you will find all kind of food in supemarket.

finally, be nice to them, algerian are nice and so friendly if you are not judging them.

PS: ONE IMPORTANT THING, NEVER SAY TO THEM THAT ALGERIAN ARE TERORISTS, IT IS LIKE YOU ARE INSULTING THEM.

Welcome to my country guys.

Thanks for the info.  I am planning to move to Oran next year 2012.  Need a lot of information on rental, cost of living, transportation, etc.  would anyone be able to help?

hello,

If you have any questions please let me know, I will be happy to help, I am living in Muscat but still can help and even with my friends there, so dont hesitate.

bye

Hi Chandrarani,

I suggest you to post your questions on the Oran forum.

Thank you,
Christine

Only food is "couscous" hahaha was she kidding? =)

Yes of course Mamzellu,
The food is very Mediterranean. Lots of fresh veg and fruit and fish too. Cous cous is a national dish and many families have it on a Friday in the same way that many British families have fish and chips on a Friday or a Sunday roast. My mother in law is a great cook and I love the various dishes she cooks, even tried to make a few myself :-) A few of my favourites include Bastella, aubergine gratin and tchoukachouka (please excuse spelling!)

People ask to move from there town ... there is a lot of area and country in this earth .. the good question is why you choose Algeria? to be truthful we can say it's very nice to move from your counties to come here in my country .. in Algeria we found 90% of people humble and good .. 10% are bad or fool .. if someone met in heaven guys from hell he will say the heaven is hellrazor !! (mean hell raised people) .. in every country we found good people and bad people if we ask someone met bad guys in spain .. he will answer "oh spanish people are bad" and if another guy met good people from spain we can't convince him there is bad guys over there !! Indian proverbs said "commanche tribu : you can't judge someone until you walk 1 mile with his shoes "
Algerian people are good .. and the badness is human nature we can't change bad guy to good or good guy to bad one ..

you can't judge me for things ; only god can judge it !
meanwhile all person are welcome here .. and before insult Algeria ..ask first about other countries !!and make comparing !

at least we don't clean shoes in the street and we are proud !! all the time Algeria is Keeping his head Up and High

Can u please brief about money & law out there in Algeria

maria salas wrote:

algeria is very dificult place ,the only law is call money,only friend is call mum and dad,the only food is cuscus ,...dont go theare

May Allah Uphold the Pride of Algeria,Ameen! the land of Bravery!!!

ucif wrote:

People ask to move from there town ... there is a lot of area and country in this earth .. the good question is why you choose Algeria? to be truthful we can say it's very nice to move from your counties to come here in my country .. in Algeria we found 90% of people humble and good .. 10% are bad or fool .. if someone met in heaven guys from hell he will say the heaven is hellrazor !! (mean hell raised people) .. in every country we found good people and bad people if we ask someone met bad guys in spain .. he will answer "oh spanish people are bad" and if another guy met good people from spain we can't convince him there is bad guys over there !! Indian proverbs said "commanche tribu : you can't judge someone until you walk 1 mile with his shoes "
Algerian people are good .. and the badness is human nature we can't change bad guy to good or good guy to bad one ..

you can't judge me for things ; only god can judge it !
meanwhile all person are welcome here .. and before insult Algeria ..ask first about other countries !!and make comparing !

at least we don't clean shoes in the street and we are proud !! all the time Algeria is Keeping his head Up and High

I WANT KNOW ABOUT ARZEW WAT IS THE LIFE IS MOVEMENT IS FREE INTERNET IS AVAILABEL OR NOT WAT IF BRINGING FAMILY IS SAFE OR NOT.

Hi diku1234!

Could you avoid posting in capital on the please?

Thanks
Armand

Hi all!

I am actually trying to locate someone in Algeria. Does anyone know of any reputable place in Algeria that offers this kind of a service?

Thanks for your help!

Hello tomi_lin and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to start a new thread on the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

i want someone to help me i would like to come to algeria but i dont anybody

i want to live in algeria . i was there 3 months and it was like stepping back in time and i loved it . i want to be there with my husband but we have to be together 6 months to get me to live there and we cant get him here in the usa for 6 months .its been 8 months now
if you know of anyone or know how we can be together please reply 
thank you

Hi I am new here in algeria, I am living with my husband and my son.... I am Filipina and my husband is from Morocco.....is there any nice place here to go for shopping for clothes?

Hi joanna06 , Welcome here in Algeria.:)
There are many places for shopping in Algeria.
Where are you exactly in Algeria?

hello everyone i am algerian and if anyone needs any informations or help in algeria just contact me :)

[Moderated: Please post in classifieds]

Hi,
I would like to visit Algeria later. Are there many Chinese in Algeria?

Honestipays....yes Algiers is full of Chinese people,many of them are builders and labourers...even a few Chinese restaurants....

thanks for all for these nice informations i am planning to move there soon i get all my documents ready but i want to know more about renting hous and work (i have wife and 2kids with me) so please if you can advice me where to rent thx

Hi Sumit,

Where in exactly Algeria will u be living , the cost depends on the basis where u are living in Algeria . Any way the cost of living is very high and will not get Indian food at all.
Will send u all the details once u let know the place where ur shifting.
Living is also very tough .......
Regards,

Its been very difficult to stay in Algeria, as an expat cannot move freely any where cannot drive . Food is a big constraint and difficult to get proper restaurants for family etc.Culture and thinking highly backward.Very slow moving life and nothing to do.

regards

yes exactly

House rent price expensive and not easy to find.

maria salas wrote:

no i'm sorry i disagree with u dear algerian ppl are nice and easy going believe me we welcome all expats from all over the world

turk35 wrote:

House rent price expensive and not easy to find.

not really it depends on the area u want live in if in the middle of the big city yes it wud be expansive
u can find a flat with 15000da and myabe less
good luck and welcome in my country

ali888 wrote:

Its been very difficult to stay in Algeria, as an expat cannot move freely any where cannot drive . Food is a big constraint and difficult to get proper restaurants for family etc.Culture and thinking highly backward.Very slow moving life and nothing to do.

regards

hi dear
i want to know why u have such bad feeling about my country
believe me u can find any thing u want
we get lot of nice restaurant and shops and ppl are kind only few stupid taht u can find all over the world stupid ppl
but in general we welcome all