Absolutely Anything Else

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband was just skipping through some news.
Looks like there is bombing near the Hungarian border in western Ukraine.
Let's pray they don't cross the line and start a huge mess in Hungary too.
I am not ready to praise the Lord and pass the ammunition
just yet.

It's nearer to Hungary for sure.  About 170km or 100 miles as the crow flies.   Eventually the Russians had to get around to it.   The road distance is > 250km.

The UN SC meeting this afternoon won't be very interesting.  Lots of abstentions, votes for by Russia, votes against from everyone else.   The outcome is already known.

Putin has suggested foreign fighters can join the Russians against the Ukrainians.   It would be surprising if they get much take up on that.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Further afield, I noticed Japan is now being more assertive over claims to the Kuril islands seized post-1945.

Personally, I thought this was genius. A total case of while watching the right hand, the left hand does the trick. With Russian forces deployed elsewhere, with the world's attention focused elsewhere, Japan asserts its rights to the Kurils. Brilliant! No conflict...

Vicces1 wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Further afield, I noticed Japan is now being more assertive over claims to the Kuril islands seized post-1945.

Personally, I thought this was genius. A total case of while watching the right hand, the left hand does the trick. With Russian forces deployed elsewhere, with the world's attention focused elsewhere, Japan asserts its rights to the Kurils. Brilliant! No conflict...

More like a reminder/nudge to Russia that the issue has not gone away.  I don't see Putin can fight on multiple fronts. What could be interesting is if say, Siberia, declared independence.  I think Putin is just spread too thinly to cope with a significant fight elsewhere.

There are stories of BY troops invading UA and an attack on BY is a false flag attack.

Vicces1 wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

That's what I like about my Japanese DIL, cool as a cucumber.
They may seem passive at times but in reality they are just waiting for the right moment to strike.
We in the west tend to be hot heads and don't think things through or have paitence.

Here is the type of drone which crashed in Zagreb.

Tupolev Tu-141

Ukrainians deny it's theirs but it's looking more likely it was theirs and malfunctioned.

Recovery is by parachutes which probably explains why they found parachutes.

Lucky no-one was seriously injured although apparently someone fell off their bicycle in surprise.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That's what I like about my Japanese DIL, cool as a cucumber.
They may seem passive at times but in reality they are just waiting for the right moment to strike.
We in the west tend to be hot heads and don't think things through or have paitence.

I doubt the Japanese would invade the islands to take them back.  But possession is 9/10ths of the law.  They could take them and argue about it later. 

This is like Ukraine and Biden's messing around is going to end up with a fait accompli. 

It'll be impossible to get the Russians out of Ukraine once they have taken enough of the country.   They will be fighting there for years.  The place is awash with weapons and the population is not subdued and probably more cohesive than they've ever been. 

And Putin won't live forever.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Here is the type of drone which crashed in Zagreb.

Tupolev Tu-141

Ukrainians deny it's theirs but it's looking more likely it was theirs and malfunctioned.

Recovery is by parachutes which probably explains why they found parachutes.

Lucky no-one was seriously injured although apparently someone fell off their bicycle in surprise.

I'd probably do more then fall off my bike if that happened near me!
Watched a sad and true movie on Netflix last night.
Usually movies don't have me in tears since I lived through a viewing of Old Yeller but this film almost got me going.
Called: Bombradement , happened in WW11 in Copenhagen.
The UK airforce hit the wrong target and killed school children.
No gov. is innocent in war.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'd probably do more then fall off my bike if that happened near me!
Watched a sad and true movie on Netflix last night.
Usually movies don't have me in tears since I lived through a viewing of Old Yeller but this film almost got me going.
Called: Bombradement , happened in WW11 in Copenhagen.
The UK airforce hit the wrong target and killed school children.
No gov. is innocent in war.

Hitting the wrong target happens all the time but more deliberately in Ukraine.   

A way of disconnecting the horror is to call it "collateral damage".

Like "special operation" instead of simply war.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Our town has a Drone, to keep an eye on roads. This drone that you speak of could have been Hungary's? Anyway, going off-topic.

No way it was Hungarian.  I'll cross post in Absolutely Anything Else on the actual drone.

I didn't think it was Hungarian but perhaps sent over HU air space on purpose to cause trouble?
Orban was in contact with Croatia, they asked WTH was going on.

More surprising is no-one really picked up on it flying over their territory.   

I am wondering about OV's current fence sitting.   If the Russians come here, the HU forces will just fold in a few hours.    OV is now looking weak in the face of adversity. Even controlling the media is not going to be enough.  And who's the typical OV enemy to demonise here? It's not  immigration or Soros, it's his friend Putin.

3rd April, we'll see how that works out for him.

I'm more concerned right now about Biden and his  astounding grasp of the current situation. Like we don't know it's WW3.  It's either now or later.   If he's using the time to build forces for a proper response,  then maybe it'll come good. 

But now, appeasing Putin is likely to embolden him.

An interesting development here is that one of the Mrs Fufffy's family is anti-NATO, pro-Putin. Discussions with him seem to lead to the idea that he's been utterly radicalised.  Like Islamic State radicalised people, but this time pro-Putin.. It's like a cult.  It's so bad that his family should try and get professional help to be deprogrammed.

Here is the story about the Drone crashing > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60709952https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/so … 022-03-11/

A big hole appears in the ground.  Police are looking into it.

I'm amazed Sky News has not covered it

SimCityAT wrote:

I'm amazed Sky News has not covered it

I'm suspicious of Sky News because it used to be a Murdoch/Fox front.

There's a lot going on which the UK press do not report.   Sometimes I wonder what they  are doing in those newsrooms.  Like they are asleep at the desks. 

The BBC has become very obviously like that - it virtually seizes up over the weekend and gets ungummed for a restart on Mondays.

https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/275669839_10159554325087279_203532079899906326_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hoo_PlY8MPkAX9KcKgf&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=00_AT97TtArQO074gOC5O6-RMc3uWD1GKS8KoWiyK-7tvCumQ&oe=623456AD

Where was I today?

SimCityAT wrote:

[img align=C]https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/275669839_10159554325087279_203532079899906326_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hoo_PlY8MPkAX9KcKgf&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=00_AT97TtArQO074gOC5O6-RMc3uWD1GKS8KoWiyK-7tvCumQ&oe=623456AD[/url]

Where was I today?

Bad URL hash I'm afraid.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Bad URL hash I'm afraid.

Again  :sosad:

Last try

https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/275669839_10159554325087279_203532079899906326_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hoo_PlY8MPkAX9KcKgf&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=00_AT97TtArQO074gOC5O6-RMc3uWD1GKS8KoWiyK-7tvCumQ&oe=623456AD

WTF?  Looks like a cow's udder there.   I hope it's doing some good whatever it is that's going on.

fluffy2560 wrote:

WTF?  Looks like a cow's udder there.   I hope it's doing some good whatever it is that's going on.

Nice way of saying :D This slopped disc is taking the piss now.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Ay caramba, that's really looking serious stuff.     I have a bad back as well but that medical gear makes mine look like a minor twinge.

I hope they can do something about it and you can take up the pogo stick or doing somersaults again.

What's the prognosis with that treatment?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Ay caramba, that's really looking serious stuff.     I have a bad back as well but that medical gear makes mine look like a minor twinge.

I hope they can do something about it and you can take up the pogo stick or doing somersaults again.

Im going to live with pain

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Im going to live with pain

I am sorry about it.   I feel for you.

My brother has problems with his spine and his condition is inoperable because the location of the problem is inaccessible and there's a possibility of severe paralysis.   He is on strong painkillers (gabapentin).   He's able to tolerate the pain for short periods but sometimes it's overwhelming. Turned his life upside down.

I hope your prognosis improves and you can get something more permanent done.

SimCityAT wrote:

[img align=C]https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/275669839_10159554325087279_203532079899906326_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hoo_PlY8MPkAX9KcKgf&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=00_AT97TtArQO074gOC5O6-RMc3uWD1GKS8KoWiyK-7tvCumQ&oe=623456AD[/url]

Where was I today?

Oh Dear. I hope one of these is full of morphine.
That's the ,"joy" of living past 30, pain is something we all have to live with in one degree or the other.
My friend had 2 major surgeries on her neck then her spine a couple years ago.
It was very complex, they opened her up and built a cage around her neck and then the spine.
She was in rehab for months.
We all basically have lost contact with her since her life is nothing but pain.
Last anyone heard is she needs yet another sugery.
She did send out photos of the surgery and it looked like it would of been better if she had just lived with the pain. I had no idea they could open someone up like that and expect them to live a normal life afterwards.
I hope you get to go home soon and your back heals somehow without surgery.

I received a message from the government information centre:

The Russo-Ukrainian war has serious economic consequences throughout Europe. In this situation, we only support economic sanctions against Russia that do not cause unbearable economic damage to Hungary.

Some leaders in Brussels want to punish Russia at all costs, and they also want punitive measures that would place an additional unpaid burden on European, including Hungarian, citizens. The Vice-President of the European Commission has argued for reducing gas supplies from Russia and for people to turn down the heating in their homes. According to the Brussels Energy Commissioner, people and businesses in every Member State are prepared to bear the burden of higher energy prices in person.

There are also actors in Hungarian public life who support these ideas and would even shut off the gas taps. This is a serious irresponsibility, as 85% of Hungarian households are heated with gas. And 64 percent of Hungarian crude oil imports come from Russia. Suspending energy imports from Russia would seriously jeopardize the security of oil and gas supplies and even double or triple the burden on Hungarian families.

We must also act responsibly in European forums in order to preserve the peace and financial security of Hungarian families. The Hungarian government continues to oppose the extension of sanctions to the energy sector. The Prime Minister successfully represented Hungarian interests at both the Paris and Brussels summits. He made it clear that this step would place a disproportionate burden on Hungary.

We continue to condemn Russian military aggression and stand up for the territorial integrity of Ukraine. However, we insist that the costs of the war should not be paid for by Hungarian families.

Sincerely:
Government Information Center

Has anyone been watching FBI it has been quite a success, well everything that Dick Wolf does, is good. He then brought out FBI: Most Wanted. The final one is FBI: International. This is where it gets interesting as their headquarters is in Budapest. Although they cover crimes across the world mainly in Europe, quite a few episodes are filmed in Hungary.

SimCityAT wrote:

Has anyone been watching FBI it has been quite a success, well everything that Dick Wolf does, is good. He then brought out FBI: Most Wanted. The final one is FBI: International. This is where it gets interesting as their headquarters is in Budapest. Although they cover crimes across the world mainly in Europe, quite a few episodes are filmed in Hungary.

I don't watch TV anymore.

SimCityAT wrote:

We have something of an intimate knowledge of FBI International.   Our daughter and her school friend were extras in one of the episodes. It was the theatre hostage one.   They are filming currently (as of last week) at Korda Studios, Etyek and nearby (possibly set in a vineyard).  We went on the studio tour and saw all the vans/tents etc.   

For teenage extras, the one they really want to get in on is the next episode of the Dune movie series.  Speaking parts pay more!

Around here, it seems to be quite a little industry for extras in the movies.    They need a diverse range of people who are available on short notice.  It seems some people in Budapest are doing extra work as almost a full time job.

This is quite interesting (probably  at Local War level) now;

https://2k8r3p1401as2e1q7k14dguu-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/kofmanfink1.png

Zelensky's Powerful Speech to EU (video is subtitled in English)

I took the time to listen to his speech. Zelensky is a powerful orator and a very brave guy.   

At about 09.45 in the video, he refers to Hungary and the HVG article notes as an explanation that Viktor Orbán, a Hungarian leader, has long been a close ally of Vladimir Putin. Zelensky called on Hungary not to hesitate to continue with sanctions and the transfer of weapons, referring to the famous Budapest Shoes on the Danube - a memorial to the victims of the massacres perpetrated by fascist, Nazi-friendly forces in World War II.

Addressing OV directly, he said:

“I want to stop here for a moment and be honest. Once and for all. You have to decide who you stand for, ”he said. “I have been to Budapest several times, I really like that city and its inhabitants are very nice, hospitable people. "Viktor, do you know what's going on in Mariupol ?"

“Look at those shoes and you'll see how massacres can happen again in today's world. That is what Russia is doing today. And you're still hesitant to hand over the guns and [continue to] do business with the Russians, .

fluffy2560 wrote:

I took the time to listen to his speech. Zelensky is a powerful orator and a very brave guy.   

At about 09.45 in the video, he refers to Hungary and the HVG article notes as an explanation that Viktor Orbán, a Hungarian leader, has long been a close ally of Vladimir Putin. Zelensky called on Hungary not to hesitate to continue with sanctions and the transfer of weapons, referring to the famous Budapest Shoes on the Danube - a memorial to the victims of the massacres perpetrated by fascist, Nazi-friendly forces in World War II.

“I want to stop here for a moment and be honest. Once and for all. You have to decide who you stand for, ”he said. “I have been to Budapest several times, I really like that city and its inhabitants are very nice, hospitable people. "Viktor, do you know what's going on in Mariupol ?"

“Look at those shoes and you'll see how massacres can happen again in today's world. That is what Russia is doing today. And you're still hesitant to hand over the guns and [continue to] do business with the Russians, .

So he won't be happy until little Hungary with it's 10 million people  join in his fight against a super power?
I have to say he isn't asking much is he?
Where was the Ukraine back in 1956?
To this day it is the HU gov. who supports Hungarians living in the Ukraine.The Ukrainian gov, doesn't spend any money on these boarder towns.
Oh, that's right, the Ukranians  were the ones attacking the Hungarian Freedom Fighters.
What do I know anyways though?
I am part Mohawk and part Ruysn, 2 enthnic groups who never had a country of their own for ages. Call me unaware but these days tiny little countries are going to be eaten alive by larger ones no matter how many people die thinking they are making a difference. The only difference they are making is getting themselves killed for a few people who are pulling the strings from behind the curtain and I don't mean the iron curtain.
No winners in a war. As my mother used to say pick your battles.
I hope I'm not alone in not wanting to see Bombs over Budapest.
Ukraine has already made a mess of their own country, hate to see Hungary suffer as well.
Ukraine was part of Russia for a long time, forgot when they became a "country" 1920 or there abouts.
Hungary has always been a country and shouldn't involve themselves in matters that will only ruin Hungary for someone else's gain.
It seems Ukraine will only be happy when they take everyone down with them.
It's one thing for Zelenksy to  get into a fight with a bigger kid, another thing when he cries wolf and wants everyone else to protect him when he is losing. Everyone knows you never start a fight with a bigger kid without having back up ready.
I think Hungary is being very reasonable and trying to protect itself, a smart move.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

So he won't be happy until little Hungary with it's 10 million people  join in his fight against a super power?
I have to say he isn't asking much is he?
Where was the Ukraine back in 1956?
To this day it is the HU gov. who supports Hungarians living in the Ukraine.The Ukrainian gov, doesn't spend any money on these boarder towns.
Oh, that's right, the Ukranians  were the ones attacking the Hungarian Freedom Fighters.
What do I know anyways though?
I am part Mohawk and part Ruysn, 2 enthnic groups who never had a country of their own for ages. Call me unaware but these days tiny little countries are going to be eaten alive by larger ones no matter how many people die thinking they are making a difference. The only difference they are making is getting themselves killed for a few people who are pulling the strings from behind the curtain and I don't mean the iron curtain.
No winners in a war. As my mother used to say pick your battles.

Those are battles of the past and completely different scenario.   If we invoke those sentiments again, are we expecting Putin's Russia up against the Hungarian border and for Hungary to be back to being part of Russia's sphere of influence, just like it was post-WW2 and in the Cold War times?

As we all know Ukraine was part of the USSR in 1956 and under the cosh of Moscow.   Some people - even many Hungarians - bought into that communist command and control model.   We all know about the many collaborators here over history. 

Ukraine isn't perfect for sure, but Zelensky is an elected politician and was/is building his country into a functioning democracy.  That's what is important now.  And before it's too late. 

Zelensky wasn't even born in 1956 (he was born in 1978).  He's not a product of the Cold War period unlike Putin.  He's young, dynamic, popular and as it turns out, incredibly brave and showing leadership no-one thought could be possible. He's no lightweight.

What Zelensky is asking for is for Hungary not to be so matey with Putin, not continue to finance Putin's war machine and to allow NATO (which Hungary signed up for) to do it's job.  In fact, OV and his sycophants said that they wouldn't allow NATO troops in Hungary but they've just agreed to do that.   There wasn't a choice despite the OV BS machine.

OV  is unfortunately raising fence sitting to an art form. OV, through his crass policies of oxymoronic illiberal democracy has thought to align himself with what he thought were like minded leaders.  But all it looks like now is that he's dug a big hole for himself and must be  kicking himself that he's been totally had and that he was just one of Putin's useful idiots after all. 

Hungary has form on choosing the wrong side. One can only hope this time, it gets to be on the right side of history.

There will be a chance to settle many differences  around a table once Putin is defeated and Russia removed from Ukraine.   Huge money will flow into Ukraine and if Hungary is on the right side, a lot of money will flow into Hungary as well.    No Western money is going into Russia. People won't forget who their friends are.

I'm afriad there is no stopping Russia.
If they have a take over and want back  their former controlled lands then they will get them back.
If Russia decides it's angry with Hungary then we are done for.
Nato might step in but we are too close by not to see some damages.
I wouldn't be surpirized  if this is all part of the NWO everyone in politics are been referring to since Regan was in office. ( Actually even before Regan if you search very old news footage and speeches, could of been the plan since 1913 when the central bank took over, I'm not a history buff but have seen enough to know we can't trust any of these leaders )
Russia can have Europe and the US can have Asia, Not sure where China fits in but I'm sure they have their own plans.
All smaller countires will be part of larger ones, no more boarders except those place by the NWO.
They already have let peple mix with s many refugees from all over the wrld, next thing will be no countires either.
Just one or two main players in the world with us peeons following orders, masks on, masks off , stand on one foot and hold your breath until they saw so.
This entire C-19 fiasco was just training day for what they really have in mind.
I'm good, no fear but need to see the real picture, anyone who thinks making war in 2021 is out of their minds. We are all screwed and no ne will even know what freedom was, well most of us never really had freedom but we thought we did, at least we could move around semi-freely and chose where we wanted t live.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm afriad there is no stopping Russia.
If they have a take over and want back  their former controlled lands then they will get them back.
If Russia decides it's angry with Hungary then we are done for.
Nato might step in but we are too close by not to see some damages.

Ukraine might just beat the Russians.  They are appearing to be so incompetent they could lose or even surrender.  The idea of Russia being invincible militarily is being shattered.  Their army has been professionalised but still relies on conscripts and even more weird, bringing in mercenaries from Syria.  Younger people don't want to die on their brothers/sister's soil for some old KGB fella's outdated idea of history and the future.   They want their TikTok, Instagram, McDonald's and wotnot. 

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I wouldn't be surpirized  if this is all part of the NWO everyone in politics are been referring to since Regan was in office. ( Actually even before Regan if you search very old news footage and speeches, could of been the plan since 1913 when the central bank took over, I'm not a history buff but have seen enough to know we can't trust any of these leaders )
Russia can have Europe and the US can have Asia, Not sure where China fits in but I'm sure they have their own plans.

NWO is something that comes around every so often but no-one knows what it means.   Europe doesn't want to be controlled by Russia.  I suspect the outcome of the war in Ukraine will lead to severe tensions inside Russia itself that it could break up into smaller republics.  Some of them are independently minded and not particularly interested in being part of Putin's war machine, 3000 miles away in Ukraine.   If Russia is truly defeated, then this could be helpful.  None of their republics could wage war in the way Putin has done.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

All smaller countires will be part of larger ones, no more boarders except those place by the NWO.
They already have let peple mix with s many refugees from all over the wrld, next thing will be no countires either.

Fewer borders would be good.  It'd reduce misunderstandings if people were familiar with others.   Takes maybe 2-3 generations and there will be no difference between an immigrant/refugee and someone more local.  Who couldn't  be pro-diversity.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Just one or two main players in the world with us peeons following orders, masks on, masks off , stand on one foot and hold your breath until they saw so.
This entire C-19 fiasco was just training day for what they really have in mind.
I'm good, no fear but need to see the real picture, anyone who thinks making war in 2021 is out of their minds. We are all screwed and no ne will even know what freedom was, well most of us never really had freedom but we thought we did, at least we could move around semi-freely and chose where we wanted t live.

Most COVID restrictions are gone now but some places seem to be finding it hard to let go of the control freakery.   Nearly everyone is vaccinated so no need for that kind of issue now.  The current norm is more back to how it was before.   That said, I've just noticed, the certificates issued are only valid 270 days.  I am not happy I'd have  to go back for jab number 4 just because of the hassle of getting it done.  But I will rollover if it means it's easy to travel.

BTW, just been around the village  on the way to and from dog walking and the Fidesz candidate posters have been defaced with CCCP (aka Soviet Union) and the hammer and sickle icon.   This is a strongly Fidesz area,   While in itself, not a big deal, it does seem like the Russian connection has reached the attention of lower level political types around here.  Will be an election issue for next week.

fluffy2560 wrote:

BTW, just been around the village  on the way to and from dog walking and the Fidesz candidate posters have been defaced with CCCP (aka Soviet Union) and the hammer and sickle icon.   This is a strongly Fidesz area,   While in itself, not a big deal, it does seem like the Russian connection has reached the attention of lower level political types around here.  Will be an election issue for next week.

Honestly, one can only hope. The media have reported a consistent edge for Fidesz, but I can only hope they are wrong.

PS - there have been some hilarious defacements on Fidesz posters here as well, with things like the "Save your Children" poster having the addendum "Fideszbol" ("From Fidesz"). I saw a handwritten poster that said, "There was a poster for [non-Fidesz candidate's name] here. But Fidesz stole that too!"
And I have seen a fair number of Russian association digs, Hitler mustaches drawn, and a montage of male body parts drawn on and around faces...
I would love to have hope, but I am just holding my breath now... I know the situation is very different in the rural areas.

Vicces1 wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Honestly, one can only hope. The media have reported a consistent edge for Fidesz, but I can only hope they are wrong.

PS - there have been some hilarious defacements on Fidesz posters here as well, with things like the "Save your Children" poster having the addendum "Fideszbol" ("From Fidesz"). I saw a handwritten poster that said, "There was a poster for [non-Fidesz candidate's name] here. But Fidesz stole that too!"
And I have seen a fair number of Russian association digs, Hitler mustaches drawn, and a montage of male body parts drawn on and around faces...
I would love to have hope, but I am just holding my breath now... I know the situation is very different in the rural areas.

One of the things the Hungarians are good at is this kind of satirical graffiti.    As things move closer to the election, there is always a chance OV will be out.  We could be surprised. Media is under OV's control so maybe  they are saying what OV wants to hear.

I find it difficult to believe people have not noticed what he's been saying over Ukraine.  He's capitulating to Putin already and letting others carry the load and win the war.   I am not sure the opposition is making the most over the Russian connection.    There will be a deal sooner or later and a very large rebuilding package which Putin (or Russians/Belarussians) will effectively be paying for.  Their seized assets will be redirected.  It's what Biden did with the Afghan money.

One thing I find quite weird is that I'm being sent government e-mails  to the e-mail address I used for COVID.   I wasn't buying into government spin when I went for vaccination.   

As for the countryside people, I expect the same as you.   But if we don't have a hope, we have nothing much.

BTW, I heard a great quote from George Orwell:

Do remember that dishonesty and cowardice always have to be paid for. Don't imagine that for years on end you can make yourself the boot-licking propagandist of the Soviet régime, or any other régime, and then suddenly return to mental decency. Once a whore, always a whore

The latest from the GIC:

NATO and EU summits were held in Brussels this week. The main topic of the meetings was the Russian-Ukrainian war conflict. Proposals were put on the agenda against which Hungary's interests had to be protected.

The President of Ukraine also attended the summits via video link and addressed the Hungarian delegation separately. Volodymyr Zelensky demanded the introduction of energy sanctions and also asked Hungary to send weapons to Ukraine.

Prime Minister Viktor Orbán rejected these requests. We understand that the Ukrainian head of state represents Ukrainian interests, but others also need to understand what we represent Hungarian interests. In vain are there foreign and domestic actors who demand this, we do not want to drift into this war.

During the NATO talks, the Prime Minister made it clear that Hungary would not send troops to Ukraine. It was also agreed at the summit that we will not send weapons or allow arms shipments. We were able to accept this because the most important common goal of NATO remains that the war should in no way cross the borders of Ukraine.

In addition to the Ukrainian president, other countries have suggested that sanctions on Russia should be extended to the energy sector. This is against Hungary's interests, especially given that 85% of domestic households are heated by gas and 64% of our oil imports come from Russia. Therefore, together with some other countries, we have rejected this proposal, so that gas and oil will continue to arrive in Hungary.

Our main goal remains to preserve the peace and security of Hungary. We condemn the Russian military intervention, we are concerned about the territorial integrity of Ukraine, we are providing assistance to those in need, but we cannot allow the price of the war to be paid by Hungarian families.

One might also ask the question if OV actually represents Hungarian and Russian interests. And he was the one who got into bed with Putin in the first place and had no diversity of supply. 

There have been no press reports, that anyone from NATO has asked Hungary or any other NATO country to send troops to Ukraine.  The wording is obviously election related.

fluffy2560 wrote:

One thing I find quite weird is that I'm being sent government e-mails  to the e-mail address I used for COVID. I wasn't buying into government spin when I went for vaccination.

I received the same Email from the government, spinning their actions as "protecting Hungarians".

A few thoughts...
It has really driven a wedge between Poland and Hungary as Poland, despite being dependent on Russian energy as well, is willing to sanction Russian energy. The following link shows Hungary's international isolation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hungary/commen … ries_list/

Speaking of Fidesz corruption in the light of Russia, here in Bp, the Metro may run out of parts soon... Why? Because Fidesz signed an exclusive deal for the metro cars sourced from a Russian company with a monopoly. The parts are not available elsewhere. I wonder how much the kick-back was for that contract...

I also think about the parallels to Hungarian history. In 1956, there was that issue of a Hungarian revolution...where Russia (USSR) acted similarly to pre-Ukrainian invasion before they came in weeks later and destroyed Hungary, putting in their own puppet.  I remember several Hungarians mentioning to me that "if only" they had had support, they would have been free. And here we are, with Hungary now actively working against the interests of Ukrainians, actively blocking NATO, with O1G not willing to rebuke Russian aggression -- remember per the Email -- to "protect Hungarians"... against the corruption and poor decisions of Fidesz???

Vicces1 wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

One thing I find quite weird is that I'm being sent government e-mails  to the e-mail address I used for COVID. I wasn't buying into government spin when I went for vaccination.

I received the same Email from the government, spinning their actions as "protecting Hungarians".

A few thoughts...
It has really driven a wedge between Poland and Hungary as Poland, despite being dependent on Russian energy as well, is willing to sanction Russian energy. The following link shows Hungary's international isolation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hungary/commen … ries_list/

Speaking of Fidesz corruption in the light of Russia, here in Bp, the Metro may run out of parts soon... Why? Because Fidesz signed an exclusive deal for the metro cars sourced from a Russian company with a monopoly. The parts are not available elsewhere. I wonder how much the kick-back was for that contract...

I also think about the parallels to Hungarian history. In 1956, there was that issue of a Hungarian revolution...where Russia (USSR) acted similarly to pre-Ukrainian invasion before they came in weeks later and destroyed Hungary, putting in their own puppet.  I remember several Hungarians mentioning to me that "if only" they had had support, they would have been free. And here we are, with Hungary now actively working against the interests of Ukrainians, actively blocking NATO, with O1G not willing to rebuke Russian aggression -- remember per the Email -- to "protect Hungarians"... against the corruption and poor decisions of Fidesz???

There's still unfinished business with PL and HU over the EU norms and the post-COVID budget.  That's still got to be resolved.  But PL is looking like it would get a more sympathetic hearing these days.  On the other hand, it seems like NGOs are helping the refugees rather than the government of PL directly.

There's a lot of these Fidesz things around.   Apparently OV responded to Zelensky's recent prodding that "You're just an actor, but I've got a diploma  in Justice".   But the irony!  OV's diploma was paid for by Soros.     And besides, I don't think OV could do this (click here).

And making HU dependent on Russia makes no sense.  It's another Mohacs moment.   Whatever horse HU bets on, choose the other one.

As for the metro, the airport and the nuclear power station, diversifying supply seems to rather obvious.  All those exclusive deals do indeed smack of corruption.   BTW, I read the Germans will be reducing their Russian gas consumption considerably and may even be able to stop it completely within a year.   That will absolutely hit the Russian economy.   Why HU cannot do the same, one has to wonder how the Germans can do it but Hungary cannot?

The Imagine link is a treasure -- I had not seen that before. That guy is amazing.
Throughout history, one thing that Hungarians can agree on is that often Hungarians are their own worst enemy. This seems to be one of those times.

The current German plan is to halve Russian oil and coal imports by this summer, and severely curbing its dependence on Russian LNG by the middle of 2024. Germany just signed a deal with Qatar to lessen its dependence on Russian LNG.

It is stunning the risks being accepted and the pace of change taking place. I love your use of the term, "Mohacs moment". It seems quite apt.

Note: Before the war began on February 24, a third of Germany's oil imports, 45 percent of its coal purchases, and 55 percent of gas imports came from Russia.