Keeping up with the news in Puerto Rico

Hello everyone,

Living in Puerto Rico provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Puerto Rico? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

I've found two options in English: the San Juan Star, a storied paper whose brand still persists, and Caribbean Business. I prefer the latter, as the copies of the former I've seen were badly proofed.

The Spanish papers serve me mostly for language practice, so I don't buy the main one, El Nuevo Día, except on Sundays. It probably has the best coverage and excellent series. I mostly subsist on the three free papers handed out at traffic intersections. Of these, I feel the most solid is El Vocero, which I think is a member of a group of local (region of Island) papers. Hence, these are excellent for finding local businesses and classifieds.

Be aware that, in all cases, the electronic versions on the Web don't carry all the stories that the paper versions do.

El Nuevo Dia has an English section on their website. Not all but many important issues are covered: http://www.elnuevodia.com/english/

I get CNN & MSNBC on cable tv in english -- I miss FOX, not available here

Fox is available on Dish... one of the reasons I have liberty cable, but Dish TV.  If you're looking to change, I'll give you my email, and they'll give both you and I a $50 rebate!