Satelite Dish TV reception

For those of you using some form of Dish Antenna TV service, how is reception and what about bad weather affecting the signal?
In the US there is a lot of advertisement about crappy signal when there is bad weather

It looks like you stumped everyone with your question.  I am curious about satellite dish service as well.  We have a dish through Direct TV and use the prepaid cards from Walgreen's when we are there on vacation, but once we get over there full-time next month, we will be going with something more permanent.  I suspect we will need to go with dish because we are out in the boonies and no wiring to the house from the nearest neighbor, which is at least 550-600 feet.

There must be more people in this blog that use some form of dish for tv, hard to believe nobody other than you said a peep.

A lot of houses I saw while driving had a dish on top of the house, not sure if they were in use or not, but a heck of a lot of houses have a dish of some kind.

Hey guys, any type of dish like service, for example dish network, Direct TV, anything other??

Sorry, Rey, I'm not there yet but hopefully, someone will come along ;)

Rey,

There are both systems in the island. I believe you can use a pre-paid card (month to month) and or regular subscription (contract). It is susceptible to the same issue you have in the mainland, weather and location (away from trees and satellite obstructions).

We will be using the internet for TV, we hardly watch TV so having HULU, Netflix and or Amazon will be sufficient. Most folks in the island don't follow or care for US news, for local news and antenna will be enough.

adlin20 wrote:

Rey,

There are both systems in the island. I believe you can use a pre-paid card (month to month) and or regular subscription (contract). It is susceptible to the same issue you have in the mainland, weather and location (away from trees and satellite obstructions).

We will be using the internet for TV, we hardly watch TV so having HULU, Netflix and or Amazon will be sufficient. Most folks in the island don't follow or care for US news, for local news and antenna will be enough.

I was wondering how true the claim of bad signal was, I never used the service in the mainland.

As my house would be in the boonies of Ceiba up a hill, I am not sure what Internet service is available to me there, nor what TV service. But if I can, I plan to just get basic tv, for local channels and news, use Internet (if fast enough) for Hulu, Netflix, HBO. I forgot to ask the owner how he gets internet at the moment but I told the Realtor to find out for me.

I only plan for the basic service (mostly for news and weather), the cheapest I can get, as I plan to take it easy but not watch much TV and when I do, it is mostly in my laptop or desktop computer anyway.

We use Sprint for cell and internet services (hotspot) for the times we been in our house. We had just installed Claro in the house and we will be checking it out in September when we are there working remotely. Our house is in the camp in Sabana Grande and it is the only service available.

I set up service to our house in Rio Grande today through Direct TV.  They offer different levels of channels and require a 2 year contract.  I spoke with Pablo Vargas @ 787-268-8545 and his English was great.  I had to be transferred a few times to get to him, but this is the direct phone number he provided to me to contact him with any questions.  Website:  http://www2.directvpr.com

Up until now, we have used the Direct TV prepay card, but have been extremely frustrated with the poor service, and it has taken us at least 2 hours to actually get the service to work.  Pablo explained to me that the prepay service is through Direct TV Latin America (explains why I could never get anyone that speaks English to help us connect), but the full service Direct TV is through the US.  The prepay doesn't offer maintenance, where the full service will send someone out if you have problems with signal.  He did say that signal strength is 99%. We got the ORO Plan, free installation within the next 30 days, the choice of two premium channels, and a dvr to record shows.  Since we are hosting guests, we will offer cable with flat screens in two of the three bedrooms and in the living room, and the cost for this plan totals $110.49 per month for 24 months.  An alternate number I was provided for the general customer service call in is 787-776-5252.

melendezki wrote:

I set up service to our house in Rio Grande today through Direct TV.  They offer different levels of channels and require a 2 year contract.  I spoke with Pablo Vargas @ 787-268-8545 and his English was great.  I had to be transferred a few times to get to him, but this is the direct phone number he provided to me to contact him with any questions.  Website:  http://www2.directvpr.com

Up until now, we have used the Direct TV prepay card, but have been extremely frustrated with the poor service, and it has taken us at least 2 hours to actually get the service to work.  Pablo explained to me that the prepay service is through Direct TV Latin America (explains why I could never get anyone that speaks English to help us connect), but the full service Direct TV is through the US.  The prepay doesn't offer maintenance, where the full service will send someone out if you have problems with signal.  He did say that signal strength is 99%. We got the ORO Plan, free installation within the next 30 days, the choice of two premium channels, and a dvr to record shows.  Since we are hosting guests, we will offer cable with flat screens in two of the three bedrooms and in the living room, and the cost for this plan totals $110.49 per month for 24 months.  An alternate number I was provided for the general customer service call in is 787-776-5252.

Let us know how it does when it rains hard.

Anybody used HughesNet Internet service?
It may be the only Internet service in Ceiba other than DSL or dialup.
If you have please let me know what is good and bad with HughesNet Internet.
Thanks

I will update you on my experience with Direct TV.  So far, so good.  The technician called to schedule installation today (within 24 hours of setting up service), and will be there tomorrow!

Update: Direct TV technician showed up as promised today and installed the cable.  Thank goodness for our wonderful local cleaning lady, Millie. She arranged her schedule so she could be there for the technician, she replaced our empty propane tanks, and stocked the fridge with water, in case our guests arrive tomorrow night and the water has been shut off. She's worth her weight in gold.

That is great service, Melendezki, and you are fortunate to have a wonderful cleaning lady.  :idontagree:

melendezki wrote:

Update: Direct TV technician showed up as promised today and installed the cable.  Thank goodness for our wonderful local cleaning lady, Millie. She arranged her schedule so she could be there for the technician, she replaced our empty propane tanks, and stocked the fridge with water, in case our guests arrive tomorrow night and the water has been shut off. She's worth her weight in gold.

Let me know how the service does during bad weather!!!!

Good that the cleaning lady can handle those heavy propane tanks and wonderful that you have people to maintain and clean the property while you are in the mainland.

I have used Dish and have seldom had a problem.  We are at a location which gets the "sea breeze" .  More like a constant 20mph wind, and it does not seem to challenge the reception. During some major storms, we have had the signal go in and out during the worst of it - i.e. 40-50 mph wind and rain, but only a temporary problem.  During Irene, the last major storm we had, it was out during the storm with 60 mph winds but came back with the calm, so the dish was able to stand the storm without having to be readjusted.

At you also receiving internet access via satellite?

No, I get internet via Liberty Cable (Rio Grande).  I chose Dish because the channel line up on Liberty had none of the channels which are important to me.  Also the Liberty system is ancient and more expensive.   There is no real satellite high speed service capable of any video services.

Rey P, we have Direct tv. and we also have a dish on the roof. We get great service even though it is getting more expensive every month. We don't even have the highest package. We didn't get the dish network because it usually is not good with high winds
( which where we are, on a hill, it is very windy) and we figured that with the wind and storms, it would give us bad reception.

Thanks
I plan on having just Internet and no tv, then sign up for HBO, Netflix and Hulu. That should pretty much cover my needs. However not sure what Internet service provider services the house. I'll find out soon enough.
Hope is not a dish service and unlimited

A suggestion: Consider also Amazon Prime. It costs about $99 for one year, and it includes not only movies, etc, but also music and free shipping on many items that are purchased through Amazon.  It has already saved me a bundle.  And I am guessing that Cherri will be ordering loads of craft supplies.
My brother in Arroyo uses OSNET for unlimited 3mps and he pays about $30 a month. You need your EXACT location (longitude and latitude) and they will tell you if you can get the service. You can get your  location from one of the map programs like google earth or I have a GPS you can use.

frogrock wrote:

A suggestion: Consider also Amazon Prime. It costs about $99 for one year, and it includes not only movies, etc, but also music and free shipping on many items that are purchased through Amazon.  It has already saved me a bundle.  And I am guessing that Cherri will be ordering loads of craft supplies.
My brother in Arroyo uses OSNET for unlimited 3mps and he pays about $30 a month. You need your EXACT location (longitude and latitude) and they will tell you if you can get the service. You can get your  location from one of the map programs like google earth or I have a GPS you can use.

My wife had purchased all the kitchen appliances via amazon prime and they shipped to PR free.  :D

frogrock wrote:

Yes I forgot to mention Amazon prime. We have it. Wife does load up credit card

ReyP wrote:

Thanks
I plan on having just Internet and no tv, then sign up for HBO, Netflix and Hulu. That should pretty much cover my needs. However not sure what Internet service provider services the house. I'll find out soon enough.

My exact plan...Hulu, Nextfix and Amazon Prime, just some rabbit ears for local news. As long as you can get over 2GB all these services will download fine.

adlin20 wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Thanks

My exact plan...Hulu, Nextfix and Amazon Prime, just some rabbit ears for local news. As long as you can get over 2GB all these services will download fine.

Sounds like a plan, but we also like HBO which now has streaming service for around 15

Update:  DirectTV has been excellent since we arrived on the island on 8/31.  They did need to move the dish to the top of the newly constructed second story.  We have not had any problems with service or reception.

Internet:  We waited for over a week for a Claro technician to come to the property to get our wi-fi set up.  We were told by the Claro sales girl in Sam's Club that a tech would be out within 48 hours.  It took relentless calling and texting to get a technician to come to our property.  When he arrived, he told us there was no way Claro could provide us with more than 1g because we were in such a remote location.  The tech recommended we contact Cosotnet, which we did, and within two days we had 3g wifi.  So far no problems.

i have not read the other replies so sorry if i repeat something...
I have dish network and have had it for about 10 years.
I find their customer service excellent. the price is good.
friends have direct tv. and like it too.
if it rains hard there is service interruption.
other than that I am fine with it.

melendezki wrote:

Update:  DirectTV has been excellent since we arrived on the island on 8/31.  They did need to move the dish to the top of the newly constructed second story.  We have not had any problems with service or reception.

Internet:  We waited for over a week for a Claro technician to come to the property to get our wi-fi set up.  We were told by the Claro sales girl in Sam's Club that a tech would be out within 48 hours.  It took relentless calling and texting to get a technician to come to our property.  When he arrived, he told us there was no way Claro could provide us with more than 1g because we were in such a remote location.  The tech recommended we contact Cosotnet, which we did, and within two days we had 3g wifi.  So far no problems.

Never heard of Consonet, is that satelite internet?

It's Cosotnet. See cosotnet.com.  It is satellite. So far, so good with service and customer service. Staff bilingual.

melendezki wrote:

It's Cosotnet. See cosotnet.com.  It is satellite. So far, so good with service and customer service. Staff bilingual.

I went to the site, it looks good. I am used to 50 Megs since I have FIOS in MA. I think I will get used to 3-6 Megs.
Any issues with streaming movies at 1080P HD via the Internet service like from Netflix (Image breaks, movie stops or stutters)?
Any weather related issues with the Internet service?

I have netflix here in the states and was unable to use it in PR during our visit.  Is there a way around that?

Schuttzie wrote:

I have netflix here in the states and was unable to use it in PR during our visit.  Is there a way around that?

Other forum members are using Netflix in PR. Call Netflix

I'll try that, Rey, thanks.

Schuttzie wrote:

I'll try that, Rey, thanks.

Hi Schuttzie:

Sometimes when I travel to the States with my laptop and watch Netflix, I'll have to log out completely and sign back in when I return to PR.  It's strange - doesn't seem to happen on my iPad or phone.

Hope this helps!!!

Oh, thank you for the tip, trekrider!

No problems so far.  I have not streamed any movies yet though.  Been too busy painting, unpacking, cleaning, etc., and too tired at night to stay awake for a movie!  I am happy with the wi-fi service throughout the house though.  Once the second story is completed, they will come back out and re-position the dish on the roof top "Eagle's Nest."

Don't ever choose claro unless you have no other choice like us. We live in the boonies can't get satellite and the internet service from cell phone plans are enough data per month and not worth the money considering we use about 400 gb a month. Claro took more then a month to come and install. Lose service all the time for no reason. One time we lost it for 30 days.  I call. 7 days late a tech shows up tells us a main cable was cut. They said it would be fix in a week.  After that week I call almost every day. They kept telling me they are waiting for the cable. How the hell can they not have cable that provide cable and internet service. Another 2 weeks before it was fix. Sorry but this is ridiculous. Never again. They make you sign a 1 yr contract. Not sure how to get out of it.  They should provide services you are obligated to receive.