Cellular internet in Rincon

HI all,

I am looking at going to Rincon for a few months to see it it might be a place I want to live.   I have read that the Internet service can be flakey at best.

So I will likely use an AT&T or Sprint mobile hotspot for backup.  I was curious which had better data service in the Rincon area?   I see AT&T advertises that they have 4g service in the area but I am not sure if that is accurate or not.

Also I see CLARO is advertising speeds up to 50MB in puerto rico but it doesn't really state where it is available.   Does anyone know what the fastest residential service is you can get in the Rincon area.   

I am not super concerned with price as long as it works.

I live in Rincon and here is my experience. We have Choice cable, it was easy to have Choice set up, and it works great. We use a wifi router and no problem using laptops. We have Verizon Wireless and we plan to change to AT&T which works better in PR. There you have it. Choice for cable (there is no other choice (ha!) other than satellite and that sucks) and AT&T for phone. If you need more info abpout living in Rincon give a shout.

Thanks for the reply.  So AT&T and Choice it is.   Any idea what the max speed choice offers in Rincon?  I see on their website they advertise up to 50MB but don't list where it is available. 

Is Directv really that bad there?    I actually used a directv box from puerto rico when living in Panama and it worked pretty well.   I think the local panamanian tv company did the same thing for some of the sports and just popped their logo on it.  (well actually, I know that is what they did)

Directv is working fine and used by many, especially in the areas where there's no cable.

Claro DSL is the main ISP. Once you have a place to live you will have to find out which speed they can offer at that location. If you're in bad luck (like I am) 2 Mb is the max. speed. If there's already fiber optics installed you may get lucky and get 50 Mb..

As for mobile providers, next to AT&T there's Sprint (I've been using it for like 10 years - works just fine, all over the place), T-Mobile, Claro (ex-Verizon) and the pretty popular (no-contract) Open Mobile. All of them work good in most places - just check their sites for plans and coverage maps.

Great, thanks for the info.

btw, Rincon has a bunch of public wifi networks such as the town square, Burger King, Banana Dang. So if you wanted to live cheaply you could forgo the internet service; I considered this but having internet in my apartment was a convenience I was unwilling to give up. And it's true that cable is not available everywhere in Rincon and then an alternative must be selected. When do you plan to visit Rincon?

Going to visit for a week or so in a few months hopefully.  Have to try to sell my Wife on the place.  She is a bit reluctant because she knew someone from San Juan and he always spoke of how horrible Puerto Rico was.   I tried to explain to her that San Juan is a different animal all together and she would like a place like Rincon but I don't think she will believe me till she sees it for herself.

I work from home over the internet so public wifi isn't really an option.

I've been working out of Ecuador and Panama for the past 4 years or so but my company is requiring that we work from a US location now, so puerto rico seemed like an obvious choice.  I am Stuck in Mississippi for the moment while my Wife finishes up an English program at the local university.

I know this isn't really the right place for it but do you think it would be hard for her to find a part time job there?   More just of something for her to do.  It doesn't really matter how much it pays.

dalupus wrote:

I know this isn't really the right place for it but do you think it would be hard for her to find a part time job there?   More just of something for her to do.  It doesn't really matter how much it pays.

The economy sucks but finding a part time job is always possible. If your wife is bilingual it sure helps, especially in a place like Rincon.

Native spanish speaker.  She is studying english at the University here in the states so hopefully when she graduates she will be considered somewhat bilingual :)   Anyway, thanks for the info.

My wife and I will be in Rincon until end of August at which time we return to NJ to take care of elderly parents for a while. If you come to Rincon during that time period please let me know. My wife and I would be glad to show you around, introduce you to people. I am surfer and my wife isn't so she had to develop a life in Rincon and she has and is very happy here - she'd be more than glad to chat with your wife about what she does with her time here. As you probably have guessed, Rincon is a world away from San Juan.