Power outages and internet

Hi all. I am a medical coder and am searching for a remote job that will allow me to work from home ANYWHERE, such as down there in Puerto Rico! I am wondering about the RELIABILITY OF ELECTRICITY AND INTERNET. How frequently does the power go out? If it goes out, will internet still work? I am currently researching options for backup power including generators (but I know a computer can't just run off of one..it'll fry it with power spikes), batteries, UPS (uninterruptible  power supply), etc. Any advice on backup power is welcome, but more importantly will internet through cable lines still be working during outages? Or do I need to look into completely wireless options? Even then, how reliable is it? Will a storm interfere with the signal?

It really depends... we are in SJ and almost never lose power or internet - good thing because I work from home and my kids need access for school work. But I have friends that live 2 blocks away and they are constantly losing power.  You'll definitely want a backup plan for whatever your first choice is. The few times we've lost internet and needed access I've used my iPhone as a wireless hub and accessed that way.

Be aware, during storms (hurricanes) you may be out of power and internet for extended time. even if you have wireless internet. During the last major storm power and internet was out for over a week in some places. You may have power in your area but the cell towers that feed internet signals may be out. Last time this happened, my sister was out of power for a week and the internet was out for almost a month until Claro was able to repair infrastructure.

Does AT&T have reliable service there? They are such a large company I am thinking they may be better than the local providers. Currently my cell provider is Cricket (which is an AT&T company that uses AT&T's towers) and they currently do not allow customers to use hotspots and tether devices, but there is talk that they will soon. If they don't, I can consider switching to the pricier AT&T who does offer hotspots. I would still use a local internet provider.. and just have my cell phone hot spot as a back-up.

That's exactly what I do. AT&T has the best coverage on the island.

I use Sprint, we never had any issues with their connection while in the island. We had occasions that require us to connect to our jobs while in the island and never had any issues using the Sprint hotspot. I even used to download music and movies.  :idontagree:

Regarding internet services, we use Liberty (the only authorized provider in our neighborhood) and service can be very sporadic.  Although, I must say, it has been significantly better since I replaced the coax cables and splitter with my own.  I'm wondering if I received some faulty hardware when we got our service connected.

Customer service is less than stellar to put it very mildly.  When I call to put in a service request, it often takes one hour to actually talk to someone after numerous hang-ups and disconnects.  Sometimes I'll have one of my Spanish-speaking friends call for me - it seems to be easier.

You may want to talk to others in your neighborhood - some people have had no problems whatsoever with Liberty.

I'd be very hesitant to rely on our internet performance to run a business or rely on for work.  I'm doing some continuing education courses, and it's been pretty frustrating at times trying to log on and do some work.

Hope this helps!!

My 2 cents is it depends on where you are.  Even a matter of blocks can differ. Even as I write this, I'm in the western mountains and I have lost electricity, water and claro.
I am using my batteries until they die and a t-mobile 4g. Soon I will be down to a candle and a book. It's been off an on like this since Erica.
4 km down the mountain they have all utilities. Never went out.
If I had the money I would buy an electric generator and a 200 gal water tank as backup.

At least it isn't cold, as it was during Sandy in NJ.

we have lived in joyuda and have lost power almost one day every week but usually for a few hours accept 2 times which it was out for more then a day. at a t worked their however we couldnt access anything with our spirit phones    we had liberty cable and it was very reliable. currently  we live in arecibo near utuado area. hardest time getting internet here. noone provides service accept claro    which i call sucko   we pay for 20 gb speed and barely get 12gb  toook them more then 3 weeks to get here to set up. internet is ok most of the time. however we have lsot it many times   one time for 30 days  not storm or anything.  they are aj joke and make sure before you move you can get reliable internet and not with claro  (sucko)     we have lost power hear atotal of 6 times in 6 months   for more then 12 hours at at time many times for more then 24 hrs   we have lost thousands of dollars in food. we buy bulk because for is so expensive here   we shop at sams club     we are now moving to rincon because we cant deal with it here anymore.  we will now have 2 leases but we need our sanity    if you need any advice or help please let us know

sandrarduncan, have you found a reliable internet provider in Rincon?

We are moving to Rincon Oct 1. However if you go on Facebook on friends of Rincon.  I asked the same question.  You can follow the topic on there. Rincon offers lots of internet choices.  As with any internet it depends of the area. That Facebook page will be very helpful to you. My name of that page is zazoo Pitts. Please feel free to contact me anytime with any questions or any help you need at any time

Hi,

Choice cable has been great!  I have had no problems.  However, do not leave your computer out on the porch if it rains. ;)