Re: Breaking Belize News ( NOT Good News)

Whether your responses actually fit into this Forum or not I have gotten something from all. Thank you you all for your comments, from a Canadian who appreciates your responses.

This of course is just not related to reality

you mis spoke. what you meant to say is how Bush bought the election in florida.

Hi everyone,

Can you please share your views on the questions of the initiator regarding Belize ?

Let us not systematically associate the issue addressed in post one to another country. Obviously links will be made but try to focus on Belize.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

A general question was asked and answered in a way hopefully a person who has not visited or lived in Belize could comprehend,
If you have a specific question please ask, or better yet visit as it is the only real way to understand.

Pgthefatman, I was very encouraged to hear about your move to Belize and your overall opinion of the country and the people. I am in the planning stages at the moment whereas I just visited there last week. I had a very nice time and I can corroborate all that you've stated about the country. I am a little concerned however, about having something to do after the newness of swimming in Hopkins and Placencia and the visiting the various eateries. I am very interested in working either in a job or some kind of business. I noticed everyone seems to have a hustle there mostly selling clothing or food items.  What is your take on keeping busy there?

I just arrived from Belize and I heard the inside scoop on that beheading. Apparently, there is more to the story than that way you are presenting it to this forum. The guy that beheaded the pastor is from Canada and had a corrupted relationship with the pastor. The pastor was attempting to extort 50K US dollars from him and they both had corrupt political ties. This sort of corruption happens in the US everyday in every state. The way you've presented it was unfair and incomplete. While I don't condone violence nor do I feel anyone should be set up  as judge, jury and executioner, I do believe that when you play that type of game especially in a country where there is greater chance of plausible denial regardless if warranted or not, there will be casualties.
All I ask is that you represent the story fairly and unbiased.....The last thing we need is more USA-like sub-par media reporting.

Unfortunately I am not really familiar with those area's, but if you are looking for a job you will need a work permit (even if self employed) this is not quite as straightforward as you would like.
We are in the process of registering as self employed and for this they look for proof of investment (property purchase will do) a business plan and a bank statement.

If you have someone offering you a job their is a section for them to fill in, which includes them having to state for how long they advertised the vacancy, how they advertised and how many people interviewed, to ensure Belizians are given jobs first.

The other alternative is with your application you submit three adverts which you have seen and could have applied for, i.e. you were qualified to do.

Hope this is of some help

Please if you are going to criticize get your facts straight the guy was not from Canada

Trying to compare corruption in the United States with corruption in Belize reflects a total ignorance of reality

Rather the perpetrator was from Canada, Belize or East Who Cares is not the really the important fact here. The real issue here is the shading of the news in a way as is common in the United States by painting a false narrative that breeds general fear mongering. Interested people would like to get a fair and balanced view of Belize without need for biased opinions not rooted in fact.
You want to talk about facts, then why don't you please share with us the reality of the details that helps everyone understand if this is a case of general lawlessness that is common to everyone in Belize or a one-off case of corrupted parties participating in a deal gone bad.

The  problem is the real Facts are unknown and as in most cases here never will be known, just a lot of supposition and opinion

I understand that but as in most cases around the world, there will always be corruption and there will always be people who seem to know more or less than what is corroborated by the known truth.

The only impetus to my comments are that people deserve a fair opinion to how this type of "news" is reported. I would hope that based on what has already been stated here in this forum, they would not think that this is indicative of the general social fabric to the Belize people as a whole.

So when you give partial "facts" such as the comment you made, then apparently you know more than what is currently known by even the prosecutors of the case.

If that is true then please do tell....inquiring minds would like to know.

Only stated what was reported in the news, that originally he was thought to be Canadian then it was found that he was from another Latin American country, it may further be found that he is from another country entirely.

Everything said on this subject is pure speculation, I have heard a few varying stories that people have sworn to be true, speculation, assumption , looking to be popular, whatever.
It still comes down to assumptions and speculations and hearsay, not facts.
There is nothing to be said except gossip, until and if more facts come to light.

Thank you, I appreciate your candor and filling in the holes on this subject. Again, I am not trying to be catty or divisive but I only want Belize to be fairly represented. It is such a beautiful country with all of the challenges of a developing nation. I find the people warm and inviting notwithstanding the few who could ruin it without the need for an unbiased news reporting.
It really upsets me that the pattern of "news reporting" in the states seems to lean towards the agenda that is being attempted to be pushed as the soup-du jour.
I only hope that Belize can bypass the same informational avenues taken by the states that contribute to the painting by and large as a decadent place not worthy of an up close and personal review by those looking for such aesthetics in their choice of places to live.

Good Afternoon, here we go about the US again. Belize does not have the checks, and balance systems like other countries. Also in the US church, and state are keep separate. Belize claims to be founded in Christianity, turning a blind eye to other faiths, and those that have none at all. Also in Belize you have a thing called retialliation as witnessed in the case.

(1) pastor dead is horrific but mass shootings where kids frequent in America is not? It's all POV and it's ALL horrific. To a mouse, a cat is horrifying. Cats don't make the news though. Danger is under every stone. You just have to choose the danger you can live with.

The US and Belize are different countries.  You should be ok if you dont pick up stones?

You are right. However my comment was not expressing our global wide disasters. At the time of this posting I was trying to gather specific information about Belize itself, it was not intended to express or demean any other place, town, city or country in the world.

You seem like one of the few good eggs B. I stand (sit, actually) corrected. I only meant that there are poisonous creatures in every ecosystem (literally and figuratively).
I hope you find what you are looking for.

It would be nice to know where in Belize you reside..

Much has transpired since my original post, Canada is going down the toilet and the US has a new President that seems to be on track. Even though Belize still looks like the place to be. Any suggestions on what is the best way for someone to enter into Belize who is over 60yrs and wants to bring some personal belongings/furniture traveling by motorhome but no other vehicle. Would love your input/views .

Not there yet actually but I purchased land in Corozal.

BunnieMarie wrote:

Any suggestions on what is the best way for someone to enter into Belize who is over 60yrs and wants to bring some personal belongings/furniture traveling by motorhome but no other vehicle. Would love your input/views .

Bunnie, I have read your Bio.
I do not like having to tell anyone bad news, but I need to be blunt, I hope you can forgive me. I don't think the primitive infrastructure of Belize is well suited for someone  with your special needs, outside of perhaps a few of the luxury tourist resorts. 

I love Belize, and talk it up to people all the time, but also explain to them for me its like going back in time for many things we take for granted in the USA (and what I have seen of canada). Paved roads are not the norm in most areas, often the ones that are paved are in poor condition. Dirt roads and rain = mud. Wheelchair ramps are virtually non existent. Many doorways are not wide enough, restrooms.... the same. 

Before you and your husband drive or ship your motorhome to Belize, I would urge you to fly down to make a visit in person, only you know what your needs are. I have written and erased several versions of this because I did not want to be the bearer of bad news, did not want to be the one to step on your dream, please forgive me.

I just read your bio too Bunny and I have to agree the primitive nature of Healthcare in Belize and the Primitive nature of getting around in Belize would make your situation somewhat difficult

Hi Texblondi!   This is off the topic of the corruption originally posted....BUT you had mentioned you were going to Corozal this past November....and I was wondering if you did...and if you could let me know your thoughts.    We're in the process of looking for a house in Belize and Corozal was on my list....  at the top.. but would love to hear your thoughts as it seems you've been there quite a bit.   Any insight would be very greatly appreciated!! :D    thanks in advance ... take care.. ttys :)

you have to pay $2000 for a work permit if you intend to volunteer and are not under the umbrella of an existing organization like Rotary or the Methodist church.    There are many evangelical independent "churches" proselytizing here and are largely unwelcome by the Belizeans.

Hi, I just joined this forum, and am interested in finding out if Belize is for me. Any suggestions.? I'm from Mass.

Matty Mich wrote:

Hi, I just joined this forum, and am interested in finding out if Belize is for me. Any suggestions.? I'm from Mass.

Welcome to the Belize Form Matty Mich. Most questions that you might think to ask and some that you might not think to ask will have already been asked and answered in previous threads, so my first suggestion would be to review as many previous threads and/or use the search feature by clicking on the magnifing glass at the top of the page. Keep in mind the age of the threads and then feel free to ask your questions or for clarifications here on the forum. There are several helpful folks that are willing to share their experiences.

Please read the Forum Code of conduct and try to keep questions relevant to the thread in which they are posted. For example there is a thread for new members to introduce themselves, which would have been a more appropriate thread for this introduction post. Not trying to be "that guy", and do not want to imply your membership is not valued or welcomed, but it helps to keep threads more relevant to a specific topics which will make the forum a better resource for everyone, but especially future new members.

Ultimately you will find that visiting for extended periods away from the comforts of resorts, while being honest with yourself in regards to your personal expectations and comfort level to be happy, will be the best way to determine if Belize is really for you. What I call your "sandals in the sand research".

Good luck with your research. Let us know how we can help.

Matty Mich wrote:

Welcome to the Belize Form Matty Mich. Most questions that you might think to ask and some that you might not think to ask will have already been asked and answered in previous threads, so my first suggestion would be to review as many previous threads and/or use the search feature by clicking on the magnifing glass at the top of the page. Keep in mind the age of the threads and then feel free to ask your questions or for clarifications here on the forum. There are several helpful folks that are willing to share their experiences.

Ultimately you will find that visiting for extended periods away from the comforts of resorts, while being honest with yourself in regards to your personal expectations and comfort level to be happy, will be the best way to determine if Belize is really for you. What I call your "sandals in the sand" research.

Please read the Forum Code of conduct and try to keep questions relevant to the thread in which they are posted. For example there is a thread for new members to introduce themselves, which would have been a more appropriate thread for this introduction post. Not trying to be "that guy", and do not want to imply your membership is not valued or welcomed, but we hope that everyone will help to keep threads more relevant to specific topics, this in turn will make the forum a better resource for everyone, but especially future new members.

Good luck with your research. Let us know how we can help.

while it is possible to avoid some of the difficulties here with ample income, make no mistake that the corruption in government affects EVERYTHING.   From the price of goods and services to law enforcement to food and utilities,  television programs, land purchases etc etc etc.   

One may file for permanent residency but your application will be lost or languish on desks for years unless you offer a thousand dollars for expediting.  They will not ask you for the money, you must offer it.

The price of groceries depends on the tariffs negotiated or avoided at the borders.   Running contraband is big business in Belize.  The border agents have discretion.  this means they can charge whatever their whim dictates.   

Belize produces little of its food.  Most local food that is produced in Belize is produced by Mennonite farmers.  The difficulty in crop production in this climate is the insect parasites thus the farmers use large amounts of herbicides and insecticide chemicals in their crops.   In many cases the workers who apply the chemicals are illiterate, so they can not read the labels and dosage instructions.

I estimate it costs about $3-4000 USA dollars per month for a couple to live in Belize, which assumes you are renting a house with a western kitchen,  screens on windows, fenced, hot water in the bath and AC in at least 1 room.   So much depends on the individuals tolerance for heat or response to mosquito bites or location.   Every neighborhood and every district is unique.  Every person has unique needs and tolerance levels.

There is much to love about Belize.   I love the oranges and the chocolate.  People are courteous. And much more.   

I had a hip replacement and now must use a cane thus I am vulnerable when getting in or out of the car.   After the robberies of myself and my neighbor, I am hyper-vigilant when in public.      Here many people are street peddlers who come to the gate offering goods and services but I no longer use them.  And do not go near the gate.  I was grabbed thru the bars of my locked gate by a fruit seller thief who tore my necklace from my body causing injury and a $2000 loss. 

The Belize thieves target all "foreigners" for robbery.   The Chinese, East Indians, Caucasians are all fair game for robbery.

The only reason We USA and Canadians are allowed into the country is for our money.  Our purchase of goods and services provides cash in the economy.    Our expertise & advice and education is most unwelcome.

Wow....it does sound like you are quite unhappy in Belize.  I have been here a decade nearly and have found that those expats who experience theft etc are most likely ones who have advertized..either purposely or by accident that they have "money"...I live quite comfortably well under $1000 USD per month but I prefer no AC and I buy local fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, fish and am not one to need imported products.  Not to argue with your observations but perhaps they are not that of all who have moved here.

How dare you imply that my neighbor and I have advertised our "wealth" and are somehow responsible for enticing thieves to rob us!!!   This is the only time I have ever had anyone attempt to characterize my social security retirement income as wealth.    You are the only person foolish enough to suggest that by standing behind my locked gate wearing my necklaces concealed under my clothing that I have lured a thief to rob me. 

I did not say I was unhappy with Belize.    That is your assumption.   

I have pointed out some of the realities of living here.    Belize is being promoted by people for their own reasons as a place for retirees.   Potential new residents need to know that there are both pros and cons to living here.    Each time someone mentions a negative aspect to living in Belize there is a chorus of denials, followed by personal attacks.

I have categorically stated that I have lived elsewhere internationally and that there are better places to live.     

Your experience is exactly and only that...........

Wow!  Two very different responses to life in Belize and equally valid, however let each of us express ourselves with dignity and respect.  After all there are other places to live and if the conditions are too unbearable, then move.

I live in Belize, I am.not impacted by corruption. 4 years and I dont get involved live my life and pay what I need to live here.thete is way to much negative talk come here for 6 months live here and then see for yourself. No one can give you advice only you can feel it once u lived here. We staying because we love it

I've been going to Belize for 20 years, for months and even for up two years once. Here's the thing to give you a perspective on crime. If you moved to Los Angeles and go walking around in South Central you will be in an unsafe area. News organizations only report crime and not PPL who have lived here for years and never had a problem. Corruption? affects ppl who are corrupt. Politics? The crime that affects most PPL here is property crime such as stolen tools, Lawn mowers, valuables left unattended. Wearing flashy jewelry flashing big rolls of cash are considered by thieves to be an invitation to take them from you. I've never had even one problem except for in my younger days drinking to much and insulting a cop. That didn't work out too well. All of the comments about Belize being a dangerous place IMHO is laughable as long as you good sense about not going into high risk areas. The biggest danger I have experienced is insects.

LOL! TELL me about the insects!

Wow as I visited twice I don't have any evidence of corruption being any more than my current city, Chicago! Between 1/1/2018 and  2/8/2018, there were over 60 fatal police shootings here in Chicago, IL., USA. The investigation of the CPD by the federal government has been underway and the sad national school shootings are not common occurrences in Belize. I hear from the people I know who live there some of these folk have lived there over 40 years and some only ten and they say it is slower paced and more peaceful than my current city. One of them recently retired from a volunteer police force in Cayo District who says the work, in his experience, was pretty uneventful.

Well it is now nearly 2 years, and still no sign if this corruption etc everyone goes on about, no problems with work permits and just waiting for final interview for permanent residence, have now purchased another two parcels if land fir the kids to build on. One word of advice, avoid expats all they do is moan, its so bad but they still stay, you have to wonder why ?

Canada is actually doing quite well whereas the u.s. has a psychopath for a president.  Either country is still livable however. Wouldn't let that make my decision for me.  Belize is a different country with nice weather and interesting people.  You just have to be smart about it.  Wouldn't go for a late nigh stroll in Phoenix, az where we lived for 12 years either.  Shootings and killings there pretty well every night shown on morning news. The world is not a very safe place if you are not smart. Have been there a year a go and found it to be safe and very beautiful and diversified in flora.  Going there again in a few weeks for a couple of weeks.  Have property in consejo shores and thinking of building.