Sports in Malta

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in Malta?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in Malta?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Interesting topic.

For me I'm an archer. On one occasion when I was in Malta I did ask the hotel if they knew of any archery places for me to attend.

They pointed me to the Embassy shopping centre in Valletta, so I turned up with all my gear (apart from bow), and almost cried with laughter when I saw the setup.

I was expecting some underground pitch, some decent sized bosses, safety nets and some good recurve bows to practice with but all I was presented with was a 'small shop' with plate sized bosses, some fake grass and about 8 children.

So disappointed.

The point is, if anyone does know of a good archery range, then I'd love to know more.

I also want to learn how to sail properly, would love to be able to get a group of friends and just go off sailing for the day, but obviously need the experience if I'm to have the lives of good friends in my hands.

Popular without any doubt football and unusual is bocci

They are easily accessible if you pay, google sports in Malta and maybe you find the club you want

Yeah the football,basketball leagues,horse racing to name the most popular altough now in summer they stop

Favourite: Football which I used to practice(now less many stuff to do)

JMH71 you've no idea how much I was laughing when I read your post.

My husband and I were in Valletta a couple of days ago checking out what passes for 'shopping', and going by some tourist website or other we headed to the Embassy Shopping Centre.

When we arrived we quickly realised that it is very limited for shopping. Plus there didn't seem to be aircon anywhere so I was melting! We did a quick tour around to see what was there and the ONLY time either of us expressed any interest was when we saw the archery sign! My husband has wanted to do some more archery for ages.

We didn't go in, but my perception of the place was that it was just a shop where you could book archery somewhere else, maybe with a bit of a fun area for kids.

The vision of you turning up there with full archery gear has absolutely cracked us up! 😄

Anyway - we have spotted an archery centre behind us at our new apartment, either north Balzan or south Lija I think. We're going to look into it so I will let you know :)

I am a great running fan so I usually head from sliema to Pembroke though until the water theme park not far from Madliena tower and indulge myself to gharghur, and come back by the madliena heights or alternatively the swieqi valley. this is a very nice journey that I do regularly and there is not much vehicles to bother you and the scenery is spectacular. thus you have to bring some water as there is none aside from the water front in sliema to refill. I am also a fan of tennis and gold which are decent in Marsa.

I'm afraid I do not follow any sport as a spectator, but as a professional horseman, I used to practice dressage and show jumping.

In Marsa I think there is an archery range. And I seem to remember there was one too in Mellieha. There are other shooting ranges but I am not sure if they were reserved for gun arms or not. I have practiced a bit of archery but always just on the wild, carrying a cardboard target with me (and spending quite a bit of time recovering lost arrows too).

My favourite sport must be football but I also practice a bit of basketball, running and baseball now and then, and of course, cycling. The Marsa sports ground is free to enter for football, although there seems never to be anybody there when I go. The basketball court there seems to be closed many times.

If everything goes to plan and we end up near Buggiba, then the Mellieha one sounds perfect!! Thank you.

I just moved to Malta.  I would love to learn how to sail and scuba dive with acquaintances.  Anyone?

Anyone whos knows the beach sport club on the water?

What about Aikido dojo? Do we have that in Malta?

Hi Pricilla!

I run Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes in Gzira.
If you want to come and check it out, you are more than welcome to. :)

Hi everyone,

@ aalatalo845, welcome on board  :)

Priscilla forms part of the https://www.expat.com Team, we are here to guide you through the different section of the website. So, do not hesitate to drop an advert in the Malta classifieds under Sports classes so as members who wish to know more about the classes you offer may contact you directly.

All the best,
Bhavna

JMH71 wrote:

If everything goes to plan and we end up near Buggiba, then the Mellieha one sounds perfect!! Thank you.

Hi JMH71,

on 8 Oct there's a "Fund-Raising Archery for Salesian Projects in Brazil & Peru" at Malta Archery in Lija.
1 hour - 10 Euro for a good reason ... and a good opportunity to get in contact with other like-minded persons  :)

Event details on FB

matm911 wrote:
JMH71 wrote:

Hi JMH71,

on 8 Oct there's a "Fund-Raising Archery for Salesian Projects in Brazil & Peru" at Malta Archery in Lija.
1 hour - 10 Euro for a good reason ... and a good opportunity to get in contact with other like-minded persons  :)

Event details on FB

Y'know that would be absolutely fantastic, unfortunately I'm in India during then and I'm not even in Malta until hopefully November, BUT, it does show that there's an active group so I'll look on Facebook now.

Many thanks for this heads up, really appreciated.

I was a fencing player and would love to get it back in Malta

My favourite sport is football and golf at the moment. But for the younger people on the island I would say swimming and all water sports. Its a great place for learning to swim, diving and anything to do with the water. Where I live in Ireland, there are very few public baths to learn to swim and quite expensive. Another plus for Malta.
Goodison

Look at what our NGO (https://www.facebook.com/movengomalta) does . We work a lot with (young) people who come from challenging backgrounds and try to give them opportunities and open new horizons for them through sports, games and an active, healthy lifestyle. Quite challenging, but very rewarding.